VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
Trusted Editor

I wonder what she did for Sonic 3...
She was apparently under the credit of Cube Corp; who did eight songs for the game.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:22 PM

Anyone know if Ms. Takaoka/Kobayashi is still with Gust?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:13 PM

She already left. Unless they hire a new guy, as far as I know Gust has now only one composer (Tsuchiya can no longer count as a composing-central staff).
Old Apr 1, 2014, 05:04 PM
Trusted Editor

ok so, I asked a friend to contact her on twitter. she said she did Marble Garden Zone and Bonus Stage for Sonic 3. awesome news! and if that "eight songs for Sonic 3" statement is correct, then it means Masanori Hikichi and possibly another unknown CUBE member did the other 6 songs. Masayuki Nagao also worked for CUBE, but he was credited under the Sega Sound Team.

Last edited by dissident93; Jun 5, 2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
ok so, I asked a friend to contact her on twitter. she said she did Marble Garden Zone and Bonus Stage for Sonic 3. awesome news! and if that "eight songs for Sonic 3" statement is correct, then it means Masanori Hikichi and possibly another unknown CUBE member did the other 6 songs. Masayuki Nagao also worked for CUBE, but he was credited under the Sega Sound Team.
Wow, if that's true, you may want to post that info over at sonicretro.org, where they've done a bunch of digging on who did what for Sonic 3. It's still a fuzzy issue. Since a lot more music was produced for Sonic 3 than made it into the game, it's always possible that what she wrote were candidates for those stages that weren't used.

Really interesting if true, though. I don't hear her style at all in Marble Garden, and always figured that was one of the tracks that originated with MJ & Co., but I can sort of hear her in the Bonus Stage.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:00 PM
Trusted Editor

yea it's possible, but i'm also awaiting a response on if she meant the Gumball Stage music. (EDIT: Jun Senoue is credited for the Gumball Stage music a beta of Sonic 3D Blast, so this means she either Magnetic Orbs, Slot Machine, or Blue Spheres.)

in light of other recent news, I'm starting to believe MJ personally only contributed maybe 2 songs to Sonic 3 before he was let go from the project, and that they were both re-written by CUBE for the final release (perhaps they weren't totally re-written and this is why there is such a legal mess regarding MJ and Sonic 3?)

Cirocco Jones' website said he did "Levels 2 and 3 for Sonic 3 with MJ and Buxer", and if those correlate with the final release, that would be Hydrocity and Marble Garden. Cirocco also said he has a demotape of "The Water" featuring MJ singing the main melody. As for the other tracks attributed to MJ, I think they may have been handled solely by Brad Buxer. The Hard Times -> IceCap thing supports this idea (even though that song wasn't written by Brad originally, neither was it written by MJ) as for the other MJ sound crew guys, I think they may only a communication link to MJ and/or provided samples, etc. Remember, MJ was on a world tour in mid-late 1993 around the same time the music for Sonic 3 would have been made, so it wasn't like he was in the studio all day. not to mention the accusations were brought up around that same time.

also notice how the other alleged MJ stuff have an Act 2 arrangement nearly identical to Act 1, while Hydrocity and Marble Garden don't? and now with the revelation that Takaoka handled Marble Garden, it just makes a lot of sense that they were quickly re-written after the accusations against him picked up even more steam in December 1993 (just weeks before Sonic 3's release). sorry if this is mostly opinion and speculation but IDK, it makes sense to me and the more I learn about it the more I believe this is what happened. if I can confirm that another member of CUBE did Hydrocity Zone Act 1 (my bets are on Masanori Hikichi) then it would nearly be confirmation to me haha.

BTW can anybody look up the dates on Sonic 3 betas? none of them credit MJ but I'm wondering how potentially far back into the development cycle was MJ's name dropped from the credits. I just don't buy into the speculation that he didn't want to be credited in the first place (although it happened before, kinda). and what Brad Buxer said in that French magazine about MJ not being content with the Genesis sound? it doesn't make any sense to me since he gladly accepted Sega creating Moonwalker, which featured a few of his famous mainstream songs. EDIT: it seems all of the "betas" come after the final release of Sonic 3, so MJ's name may potentially still be in a 1993 beta.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Staff Roll song, which was confirmed to be written by MJ (later re-used as Stranger in Moscow), remains in Sonic 3. didn't Brad say he co-wrote the song? maybe this has something to do with it?

EDIT 2: I just remembered that Hydrocity's theme (and Marble Garden) both remained in the S&K PC collection, while every other alleged MJ track was replaced by another song. maybe this just has to do with technical problems like some have said, but then again...

EDIT 3: Takaoka said that none of the bonus theme's were her's, and that her song may have gone unused (unless it's the Special Stage song, but wasn't that confirmed to be Kashima's?)

Last edited by dissident93; May 5, 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Incomplete works list from her new home page:

Spoiler:
▢フリー期間
矢負いの願い(ショートムービー)
ななつぼし(ボイスドラマ)
5月のクローバー(ショートムービー)
大阪のイベント曲
富田林スバルファイブ(ご当地戦隊ヒーロー)テーマ曲
リーズのアトリエ(DS)12曲制作
海外版犬夜叉(PS2)2曲制作
相撲ゲーム(SFC)他

▢(株)ガスト在籍時
リリーのアトリエ(PS2)100曲程制作
ヘルミーナとクルス(PS2)全26曲担当の他OP歌のディレクション担当
フレースヴェルグ(PS2)12曲、SE全て
マリー&エリー ふたりのアトリエ(WS)作曲、アレンジ担当
ユーディーのアトリエ(PS2)8曲制作 他

▢(株)クインテット在籍時
天地創造(SFC)55曲制作
グランストリーム伝紀(PS)10曲程制作 他

▢(有)CUBE在籍時
(下記は各タイトル毎3~10曲程度担当、クレジットが無い場合があります)
ソニック3
ウィザードリーⅠⅡ
ラングリッサー
モンスターメーカー3
イース4(アレンジのみ参加)
ダウンタウン熱血べーすぼーる物語

指輪物語
アルスラーン戦記
バズー!魔法世界
CDバトル光の勇者たち
エコロジーマジック
ゴークス
マイトアンドマジック
アメリカ横断ウルトラクイズ
スーパーブラックバス
スノーブラザーズ
ウィザップ(アレンジのみ)
サッカーゲーム
将棋ゲーム
麻雀ゲーム 他

=Freelance=
  • Ya Oi no Negai (short movie)
  • Nanatsuboshi (voice drama)
  • 5-gatsu no Clover (short movie)
  • "Osaka event music"
  • Tondabayashi Subaru Five (local sentai hero) theme music
  • Atelier Lise (DS) - 12 songs
  • Overseas version of Inuyasha (PS2) - 2 songs
  • "Sumo game" (SFC)
  • etc.

=Gust=
  • Atelier Lilie (PS2) - about 100 songs [only 77 on the OST]
  • Hermina and Culus (PS2) - all 26 songs, opening song direction
  • HRESVELGR (PS2) - 12 songs, all sound effects
  • Marie & Elie: Futari no Atelier (WS) - composition, arrangement
  • Atelier Judie (PS2) - 8 songs [Quite a bit more than 8 on the OST??]
  • etc.

=Quintet=
  • Terranigma (SFC) - 55 songs [This game doesn't have that much music??]
  • The Granstream Saga (PS) - about 10 songs
  • etc.

=CUBE=
(About 3~10 songs for each of these, and sometimes she's not credited)
  • Sonic 3
  • Wizardry III
  • Langrisser
  • Monster Maker 3
  • Ys 4 (arrangement only)
  • Downtown Nekketsu Baseball Monogatari
  • Yubiwa Monogatari / The Lord of the Rings [System?]
  • Arslan Senki [System?]
  • Bazoe! Mahou Sekai
  • CD Battle: Hikari no Yuushatachi
  • Ecology Magic
  • ゴークス [Is this Ghox by Toaplan???]
  • Might and Magic [CUBE's works list includes a "Might and Magic" by CSK Research Institute (CRI), which may be Might and Magic III for Sega CD]
  • America Oudan Ultra Quiz [CUBE's works list includes this game for SFC specifically]
  • Super Black Bass
  • Snow Bros. [CUBE's works list includes this game for Genesis specifically]
  • Wizap! (arrangement only)
  • "Soccer game"
  • "Shogi game"
  • "Mahjong game"
  • etc.

Last edited by CHz; Nov 19, 2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
[*]Atelier Judie (PS2) - 8 songs [Quite a bit more than 8 on the OST??]
The OST credits her for ~30 tracks... weird.

Quote:
[*]Terranigma (SFC) - 55 songs [This game doesn't have that much music??]
The SPC set has 56 including jingles. That wouldn't leave any room for Hikichi's tracks--unless she means she arranged his contributions for the SFC hardware.

Quote:
[*]Langrisser
By my count she only did one track, and it was for the PC-Engine and/or PC-FX remake of Langrisser. That series has such a convoluted history of ports to consoles I know very little about, but in any event, she never did anything for the original Langrisser on the Genesis/Megadrive.