VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:42 AM

Default GUSTCD-10014: Twilight Sky Atelier Escha & Logy -Alchemist of Dusk Sky- Vocal Album

The reason why I still don't fully add artists to each field is because the credit of the 1st and 14th track are still missing. You know once we assign artists, we ultimately have to delete and reassign all of them to insert another, and nowadays I find it a bit painful and basically want to avoid it.

So, my question is who are in charge of those?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 05:02 AM
Trusted Editor

Why do you have to delete and reassign? Just add them to their respective line(s) in Album Info, then relink artists and assign the newly linked artists to the album?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 05:28 AM

Since the ordering is immutable, the field credit would not be in order of tracks, and I feel it causes extra maintenance issues.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 05:30 AM
VGMdb Staff

That always works (what dancey mentioned). Unless you care about the order the artists appear in the fields.
Even then you could rearrange order by simply writing down ID's e.g.

you have 668, 79, 3028 linked in that order but after some time comes composer 992 who's done first track. You can simply add him to the comp field and in manage artist screen assign & link him/her (what dancey said) and if you want to do something about order you will have these ID's for linked people (all just random example)
992 (new one)

so just write down/memorize IDs, delete them (just the IDs not the links) and simply enter new ID order, check the apply box and you will correct the order itself.
992 (switched to first place in this example)

Less work compared to complete deletion & reassigning/relinking anyway.

Last edited by Efendija; Jul 29, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
you have 668, 79, 3028 linked in that order but after some time comes composer 992 who's done first track. You can simply add him to the comp field and in manage artist screen assign & link him/her (what dancey said) and if you want to do something about order you will have these ID's for linked people (all just random example)
I used to do it, but I realized it wasn't much faster to delete and reassign artists. It also may or may not cause an awful slip in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
The ordering doesn't matter, that's what the notes section is for -- verbatim (or as close to it as you can get), representation of the album notes. All that matters for the artist lines is whether they're linked or not.
If somebody wants to verify whether all the artists are correctly assigned and linked, isn't it helpful that they appear in the same ordering as the notes?

Anyway, I don't pretend this isn't my own little obsessiveness - and I've never claimed everybody should follow this way.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 05:58 AM
Trusted Editor

The ordering doesn't matter, that's what the notes section is for -- verbatim (or as close to it as you can get), representation of the album notes. All that matters for the artist lines is whether they're linked or not.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:37 AM
Trusted Editor

If you're genuinely curious about that you could see if you could write an SQL statement to check, or ask SS or Blah to do one for you. It's a little tricky to validate linked artists to the unlinked comma separated field, but I don't think it would be impossible.

I asked SS at one point to query my collection for any album in my collecting missing the DISCID field so I could grep all my .cue files and update them (still have yet to do that, but i have the data!)
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:48 AM
VGMdb Staff

Oh yeah, yeah, you have to watch out if an alias/variation is entered, true, true... Well it's OK-ish if there's only a small number of artists involved so it's easy to switch IDs and not fuck things up.