VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 1, 2009, 11:16 AM

There's something a little confusing on this release. The track "Trappy Guy" has Norio Hanzawa credited as the composer - however, that track is an arrangement of "Devilish Forest BGM", where T.K.O. is credited for composition instead. How does that figure? Unless "T.K.O." is another pseudonym for hanzawa... and listening to those tracks, I'd definitely consider that possibility - in fact, some of the FM programming is identical to Alien Soldier. Probably won't get to the bottom of it but it's fun to point out =p
Old Aug 1, 2009, 02:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

T.K.O. stands for Treasure Kamidanomi Ongakutai, which looks like some fancy name for some group of Treasure sound team members. NON is very probably a part of that. As to why he's credited specifically for composition for the arranged track while the group is credited for the original, you've got me!
Old Aug 1, 2009, 03:15 PM

Ah-ha! That figures. Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:12 PM

It's not "Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen ~Mega Drive Music~"

And rather this "Yu Yu Hakusho - Makai Touitsu Hen ~MEGA DRIVE MUSIC~"

Because "Hen" is translated as "Collection", so it can´t be "toitsusen" as a word, which I even never heard about it. And the kanjis "魔界" mean "Makai" and not "Makyo"
Katana is often used by the japanese for words which are foreign, so Katana they used them like our Capitol letters, to make a good distintion that "HEY!! HELLOOOOO! I'M A FOREIGN WORD!!!!" XDXDXD

This is my reason of changing the title
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The front cover of the booklet specifies the reading "Makyou Touitsusen" (まきょうとういつせん).

EDIT: That's because the Japanese title was wrong, it should be 魔強統一戦, not 魔界統一編.

Last edited by CHz; Nov 2, 2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:08 PM

Your right, your right.
Sorry anything.
I did not notice the hiragana characters
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:33 PM

Anyone mind translating the audio portion of the staff roll? Just curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFVBm_-35s#t=2m24s
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
Anyone mind translating the audio portion of the staff roll? Just curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFVBm_-35s#t=2m24s
Sound Direction & Sound Effects & Composition: S.MURATA [Satoshi Murata]
Sound Produce & Composition: Nazo²鈴木 [Nazo Suzuki]
Composition: 畑 亜貴 [Aki Hata]
Composition: NON [Norio Hanzawa]

http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesi...tsusen/credits

-Since T.K.O. refers to the entire sound team in terms of arrangement credit, I conclude that Aki Hata is included in it even though she is essentially singled out in the notes due to how they're written.
-Furthermore, since Norio composed track 6 (arrange of Devilish Forest [Track 15]), wouldn't that mean he composed Track 15 as well? My guess is they did that to keep that part of the booklet's notes within a certain limit and/or for symmetrical reasons and nothing more.
-On that note, since Aki Hata's composition credits go beyond the tracks that were used in the arranged versions [3 of her tracks weren't arranged], I would have to say that Aki Hata's credits are complete as are Norio's. If Norio had done more tracks, the notes would have reflected them properly by being one line longer than what's presented, which in turn would have allowed room for the number 15 among others. Again, since this is NOT the case, I am left to conclude that Track 6 [and by extension 15] were Norio's only composition credits.

-Therefore, the rest of the tracks are either Satoshi's or Nazo's. However, Nazo was already mentioned in the credits aside from composition, and Satoshi is more-or-less sound effects in the games he's been in [which is why he doesn't have a page here yet]. Something's not adding up.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...loperId,200959 - Nazo Suzuki
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...eloperId,44147 - Satoshi Murata

*Still, if the note writers were lazy with crediting Track 15 to Norio and Nazo isn't recognized for composition despite being mentioned elsewhere, then the two of them as well as Satoshi must make up the T.K.O. composition credit. The use of T.K.O. proves that more than one person composed those tracks, as they could have used that line for Norio's composition credit or credited the remaining 8 to Nazo if he did, in fact, compose the remaining 8, which proves that SE-based Satoshi did compose some of them assuming that Norio's credits are complete. Therefore, if Norio wasn't significant enough to have more than one track noted for composition credit, then I can only assume that the rest are all either Nazo's or Satoshi's based on this logic.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Nov 26, 2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Furthermore, since Norio composed track 6 (arrange of Devilish Forest [Track 15]), wouldn't that mean he composed Track 15 as well?
yup.

also i think your hypothesis about NON's credits being incomplete is incorrect, simply because i'm 99% certain he wrote Sub Space 2 [Track 13.] that one is SO HIM, moreso than Devlish Forest. Couldn't say about any others though, so that might be it for his songs. Mountain Peak and Evil World sound more like Nazo2 material, the rest just remind me more of Dynamite Headdy than of anything else by NON.

really, i think we shouldn't presume that any one composer's credits are complete. T.K.O. could be any of them. as for why there isn't a full break down, i have no idea, it is confusing.

... hm, furthermore -- might it be an idea to make an db entry for T.K.O.?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:04 AM

Would it be better to romanize YYH albums as "Yuu Yuu Hakusho", at least when they don't specifically state a romanization? This album actually writes ゆうゆうはくしょ somewhere.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
This album actually writes ゆうゆうはくしょ somewhere.
I'm far from an expert, but I think ゆう is romanizable as both, and could we decide which is better, aside of personal preference?

Also, although we ultimately examine each case, for this franchise in general, it appears "Yu" is the official, or at the least, the more popular one, according to Google.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 03:49 PM

The reason why ゆうゆうはくしょ being on this album is particularly important is because yes, you could romanize ゆう as "yu", and this is the official romanization in any region, but this requires nothing more than cutting off the う. As far as the whole scheme goes, ゆう and ゆ would then be no different, which isn't the case and is why う even exists.

I know this might sound like it conflicts with something like "Family Computer", but remember that we're dealing with Japanese terms here; obviously there's going to be a lot more "freedom" with romanization than if you were dealing with a loanword (never mind that the current romanization systems allow one to be as accurate or confusing as you can really get). So I think it'd be better that, when there isn't a romanization present on the particular album, we romanize Japanese terms in general normally for the sake of being accurate to whatever particular album titles, regardless of any other romanizations outside the album itself. Honestly, it sounds like the same logic behind keeping typos, but...

Last edited by Despatche; Oct 1, 2011 at 03:52 PM.