VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:31 PM

Default Question about FFXIV blu-ray audio

So Square seams to enjoy putting their music on Blu-ray disks, which it seams allows them to put videos and extra bits on the disk.

I'm not sure if there is another way to rip these disks aside from the mp3 download that they offer. Was hoping to rip them to flac if possible

Last edited by Blaze Lauzli; Apr 28, 2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 01:29 PM
Trusted Editor

Link
Old Apr 28, 2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
So would the best option be to use the MP3's?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 08:09 PM

It depends on the album, I'd say. You can never really tell which audio source is the best unless you compare all releases against each other.

For movie releases on Blu-ray and DVD there are some buyers' advice resources like this thread and DVDBeaver, listing formats and bitrates. But there is no such thing for audio releases.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
It depends on the album, I'd say. You can never really tell which audio source is the best unless you compare all releases against each other.

For movie releases on Blu-ray and DVD there are some buyers' advice resources like this thread and DVDBeaver, listing formats and bitrates. But there is no such thing for audio releases.
I think Square went whole hog on bluray audio so not even sure if theres a CD format to begin with for the older ones Which is weird because theres no blue ray for their Primal/Boss Fights collections only CD which I ripped into flac.

Whats also confusing because for both Shadowbringers things Scions and Sinners is bluray but not Unintempered 2 which both released fairly recently either bring this year or 2020.

As I said before the only reason I can imagine why they put their other things on Blu-ray is because they come with videos to the piano tracks.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 04:38 PM

The compilations are all on CD aside from The Best; this is not unique to Untempered2 (Time and Again, Untempered, both Primals and Piano Collections compilations, etc. are all CD format).

Every soundtrack gets released on Blu-ray as do the proper arrange albums.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:52 AM

DVD Audio Extractor, which allows for a free trial, now supports blu-ray I think. You could try that out, compare with the mp3s and see what sounds best to you.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 04:47 PM
Trusted Editor

You probably can't tell the difference but the FFXIV at least have higher source than the revival discs so they're arguably more worth it.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
You probably can't tell the difference but the FFXIV at least have higher source than the revival discs so they're arguably more worth it.
So it would be fine to just get the MP3s from the download. I guess when it comes to this flac isnt an option.

Last edited by Blaze Lauzli; Apr 30, 2021 at 07:25 PM.