VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:11 AM

Default Secret of Mana Symphonic Tribute

Hi everyone,

I arranged the Secret of Mana Soundtrack and i would like to have your opinion on it please.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9&feature=plcp
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:33 PM

You've imported midi sequences into a DAW and added different samples. One of the midis you've used is one of mine, even. There's no arrangement here, in fact there's really very little effort at all. Not sure I see the point.

Disregarding the methodology though, the end result doesn't sound very good anyway.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:56 PM

Quality over quantity. Focus on making one track sound exceptionally good at a time. Broaden your musical palette and skills by taking the time to sequence the MIDI's yourself by ear.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:12 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
Quality over quantity. Focus on making one track sound exceptionally good at a time. Broaden your musical palette and skills by taking the time to sequence the MIDI's yourself by ear.
This. x100 This.

It's cool that you ran some MIDI files through your personal favorite soundbank(s), but I bet if you put some elbow grease into it, you could do go a great job with a unique track from SoM. Maybe one that doesn't get a lot of love from the fan-based community? ^_^
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
You've imported midi sequences into a DAW and added different samples. One of the midis you've used is one of mine, even. There's no arrangement here, in fact there's really very little effort at all. Not sure I see the point.

Disregarding the methodology though, the end result doesn't sound very good anyway.
Yes i used midis but i think everyone takes them for making remixes,arrangement or whatever we can call it right? (or yeah we can also create all by ourselves that's true)

Thanks for sharing if i used yours but i don't understand what do you mean by "there's no arrangement here" do you mean by that that they sound like the originals? (even if my goal was to stay close to the originals) or maybe an arrangement for you is a five minute remix completely different from originals? (like an OcRemix for example)

I don't know,i think you expected something very different i guess but if you don't like it no problem,thank you for your opinion .
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
i think everyone takes them for making remixes,arrangement or whatever we can call it right?
Some people might, some people might not. It can make life easier for some people who don't understand enough about the construction of songs to re-do things themselves by ear, or simply want to save time. The only thing that matters really is the end result.

Quote:
i don't understand what do you mean by "there's no arrangement here" do you mean by that that they sound like the originals?
Yes, sounds changed but nothing else. Not just "not much else", actually nothing is different.

I wasn't expecting anything at all (although calling it "symphonic" might suggest something very different to this), but you were looking for opinions...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:20 AM

Okay i see,have a good day .