VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 29, 2012, 02:41 PM

H O L Y
S H I T !

I admit it may be a little redundant now, what with the Yuzo Koshiro Best collection lying around for quite some time, but the fact that it's a Bare Knuckle themed album, includes the GG ports and the incredible DJ set from the early 2000s is already more than enough.
Also, if I'm not wrong, this is the first time that both BK and BKII have their MegaDrive sound source music released.

Have I already mentioned that I freaking love you, Wave Master?

Last edited by Kewing; May 29, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewing View Post
H O L Y
S H I T !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewing View Post
Have I already mentioned that I freaking love you, Wave Master?
These two comments were the first two things that came to my mind as well. I already have the three Bare Knuckle CDs in my collection but I'll still be buying this for sure. Digitally remastered.. original Genesis sound.. Game Gear tracks.. Legend Mix.. mmmmmm. Comes out in less than a month too which is awesome!
Old May 29, 2012, 03:48 PM

Can someone explain all the different sounds since the album pages are not clear on the difference between all the Bare Knuckle music releases? Is the Yuzo Koshiro Best Collection vol.2 the one that contains the kick-ass sound that is different than the Bare Knuckle 2 release? Someone posted a youtube link months ago (that was taken down for copyright) on a forum that had the PC-88 music from 'Go Straight' that sounded better than what I have on the Streets of Rage 2 OST. The Bare Knuckle 2 OST/Streets of Rage 2 both say they are from the PC-88 sound source...

Anyhow, this is a must buy.

Edit: My mistake. The sound was from the Genesis Yamaha FM Chip. This was the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVYx0OgWdbE

Last edited by Vert1; May 29, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:54 PM
Trusted Editor

I thought the BK 1, 2, and 3 OSTS were all PC-88 sound sourced?

And I linked Yuzo and Motohiro.

Last edited by dissident93; May 29, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:55 AM

It's something a bit confusing, but to put it as simple as I can:

BK I
Original release: PC-88 Sound Board II
Koshiro Best vol.2: PC-88 Sound Board II remastered

BK II
Original release: PC-88 Sound Board II
Koshiro Best vol.2: PC-88 Sound Board II remastered
Mars Colony US release: PC-88 Sound Board II with yet another remaster/mixing. Sounds *slightly* different.

BK III
Original release: Mega Drive Yamaha chip
Koshiro Best vol.2: Mega Drive Yamaha chip but remastered (not so sure on how different this one sounds).

In some of them there's actually a few very small differences in the synths (Spin on the bridge comes to mind). I wonder how different will the BKIII soundtrack sound in this collection.
I have listened to the Legends DJ set countless but, god!, am I dying to finally listen to it in proper full quality.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!

Last edited by Kewing; May 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:16 PM
Trusted Editor

Yea, also the BK I OST had some new parts to some of the songs (The Intro and Last Soul come to mind) and also 3 unused songs. Pretty cool stuff.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the help there Kewing.

Any idea if this album will be sold through play-asia or cdjapan?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:25 AM

Vert1, I did my pre-order through Tenso's "Japanese Buying Service" and they're very reliable. You could also do the same through CDJapan's "Special Request Shopping Service" if you've got a CDJapan account. They charge a little more than Tenso though.

I'm a little surprised that Amazon.co.jp is not carrying this particular item, since I got the majority of my recent Wave Master releases from them. I guess Wave Master is keeping this print run small...
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:58 PM

I mean I was hoping to get it through a site without paying $10 special order fee from shoppingmalljapan. I'm not too thrilled with the 5,040 yen pricetag. (They can get away with it cause of the limited edition hype.) Best Collection vol.2 came out 5 years ago at 3,150 yen for 3 discs.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:54 PM

Amazon.co.jp now has this available for pre-order. 5,040 yen (which is retail) minus tax. Linky.

Looks like disc four is the mix that Koshiro DJ'd at the "LEGEND" Game Music Club event in Tokyo back in 2002. Here's a YouTube video of the entire 42-minute set, audio only. I'm assuming the disc version will be higher quality, remastered, etc.

Gimme.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:28 PM

crap! better cancel my tenso order. thanks miker.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:36 PM

I've been told at Otaku.com that they will also be stocking it. I hope they put it up soon, Amazon.jp and CDJapan are out of the question because of customs. I had to learn that the hard way.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:50 PM

Tracklist is now up, copied from here.

Kinda weird how they organized the Mega Drive and Game Gear versions of BK and BKII on the first two discs. But I'm not complaining, just observing!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:26 AM

are the Game Gear sountracks exactly the same as the Master System soundtracks?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:02 AM

Are there any outlets we can actually order this from?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyblunder View Post
Are there any outlets we can actually order this from?
See Kewing's post above.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
are the Game Gear sountracks exactly the same as the Master System soundtracks?
From my experience, SOR1 sounds differently between the SMS and GG versions, but SOR2 seems to use the same arrangements in both 8-bit versions.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:13 AM

Mine just shipped from Tenso today! I just hope Wave Master doesn't let me down with the sound quality.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:19 PM

This release will sound completely different than other releases, except maybe for BK III. The reason is because each chip have their similarities and big differences.
The PC-88 chip (YM2608) has 3 tone channels, 6 FM and ADPCM capabilities, the MD uses a combo of a TISN76489 (3 tone and 1 noise), a YM2612 (6 FM), and a DAC (used for samples). Although the FM part is technically the same, the difference between the tone and noise channels and the lack of ADPCM in the MD make it sound different, most noticeable in the "rhytym" parts (percussions).
The SMS uses a TISN76489 while the GG uses a custom chip that is somewhat compatible with the TISN76489 but has different capabilities when generating some frequencies, the GG is also capable of spanning sound channels to generate stereo sound and it seems it uses some filters in the circuitry as well.
So, the MD versions won't sound like the PC-88 versions and the GG won't sound like the SMS. In addition to the technical differences, there are also some differences in the music sequences, SEGA had to slightly modify the tracks to make them sound properly in the MD and in accordance to the game (i.e., the game intros).
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:11 PM

When someone has a copy of this, I'd love some clarification on who composed what on the third disc. If the liner notes go into it, that is.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:18 PM

I'd love if someone could translate these two pages.
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=152747

Last edited by Vert1; Jul 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:44 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KooshKoosh View Post
When someone has a copy of this, I'd love some clarification on who composed what on the third disc. If the liner notes go into it, that is.
It's all right here. http://vgmdb.net/album/358, although missing some.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:28 AM

I've had a listen to this album and here are my thoughts in terms of the quality of the audio. I'm only going to be judging the Megadrive / Genesis music because there has never been gamegear available.
Bare Knuckle: Much cleaner, crisper sounds and you can hear all parts of the audio with ease.
Bare Knuckle 2: Really disappointed by this, doesn't hold a candle to the Mars Colony release of Streets of Rage 2 which I believe is still by far the best, followed up closely by the regular Bare Knuckle 2 releases. The only plus I can think of is that you get the original 'Go Straight' console style AND the regular arcade version which you get on all other Bare Knuckle / SoR2 albums. But that is about it.
Bare Knuckle 3: Similar standard to Bare Knuckle 1. Cleaner crisper audio which is less muffled and much easier on the ear.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1 View Post
I'd love if someone could translate these two pages.
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=152747
And yes! It seems like it tells about the composition process, and maybe even the samples used on the right?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:34 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The tracklist in the booklet is a little sloppy. Track 1.08 uses a curved apostrophe while 2.30 with the same title uses a straight one, and there's some inconsistency with spacing after periods ("Mr. X" and "Mr.X") and before parentheses.

Unfortunately, the booklet doesn't seem to give a composer breakdown, so I guess I'll fill in what we know from the other albums.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Unfortunately, the booklet doesn't seem to give a composer breakdown, so I guess I'll fill in what we know from the other albums.
A pity! Thanks for all the helpful responses, but I already cribbed the composer info from the previous albums... such a shame we have those gaps! Oh well.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:25 PM

I replaced tracks credits in disc info.

There was some tracks credited as "unknown". I've take a look at Yuzo Koshiro BEST COLLECTION vol.2 booklet and I found what tracks are composed by Koshiro and what by Kawashima.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh wow, that album does in fact have a breakdown in the booklet. How about that. :<
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:56 PM
Trusted Editor

That DJ mix thing would mean Yuzo gets an arranging and performing role on this album, no?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Arrangement: probably. I don't know too much about that event so I'm not entirely sure he put it together completely by himself, but it seems pretty likely to me. Booklet of course isn't really any help about that either.

Performance: depends on if Koshiro actually played any parts live during the set, maybe? We usually restrict performers to instrumental performances (we don't credit conductors as performers, for example), so if anyone is actually interested in minutiae, I guess we could discuss to what extent DJing constitutes an instrumental performance. Every DJ is different in how much of a set is prepared beforehand and what's mixed/transitioned/etc. live, scratching, all that jazz, so I'm not sure there's an easy answer there.