VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:58 AM

You know for a 7 CD release the price is actually really cheap.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:57 PM
Trusted Editor

I wonder what stuff the discs actually do have, is it just one disc per game and one bonus stuff for new tunes or what.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 03:53 PM
VGMdb Advisor

agreed with Raza. Interested in seeing the contents before shelling out for the 7 disc.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 02:13 AM
VGMdb Advisor

What the description on the official website says is that the 1.5 album will contain the new recordings for Kingdom Hearts, Re:Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days (so maybe not the tracks that are unchanged from the previous soundtracks? It would need more than 3 discs otherwise, so I guess 2 discs for KHI and 1 for a collection of remade tracks from Re:CoM and 358), and that the 2.5 album will contrain the KHII and Birth by Sleep soundtracks, with the new recordings made for KH2.5 HD (KHII has a newly recorded soundtrack, but I think BbS will be unchanged, so 2 discs for KHII and 2 discs for BbS?).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 08:20 AM
Trusted Editor

From the GMO interview:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shota Nakama
What I can tell you is that you won’t be disappointed with the soundtrack. The quality is just really amazing and you definitely won’t have “oh I liked the original better” or “man why did they change here?”. Everything is following the musical road that Shimomura-san has paved with the much better production quality than back then.
This really made me be like "Aha, yeah...., ever heard of 'modesty'?"

The statement is just plain nonsense. Even worse, it denies me the right to judge the music myself. I seriously wonder how anyone can do such statements in an interview. Why not just say that you tried to be truthful to the original compositions and that you hope that people can appreciate this?

Consider me not interested, at least not at this point.

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Sep 30, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:01 AM

The original version I received was even more candid in places. I think he means well and I am confident the quality will be good. Was not impressed by 1.5 at all.

Last edited by Chris; Sep 30, 2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:01 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
This really made me be like "Aha, yeah...., ever heard of 'modesty'?"

The statement is just plain nonsense. Even worse, it denies me the right to judge the music myself. I seriously wonder how anyone can do such statements in an interview. Why not just say that you tried to be truthful to the original compositions and that you hope that people can appreciate this?

LA, I'm not ashamed to say that I think you're one of the most thoughtful and intelligent people in all the online VGM communities I've run across. You've introduced me to great music and I generally appreciate your opinions and taste over those of others.

Nonetheless, I feel a strong desire to push for a rethinking here. I can understand not liking what Shota said, and that feeling that your chance to critique it is being "robbed." But then, he doesn't really have that power? You are perfectly capable of ignoring or discounting that statement in going into the music.

And at the end of the day, you're free to make your determination about the music's quality. If "Consider me not interested" is a conclusion you reached as a result of Shota's bold pronouncement, I would again urge the same restraint for yourself that you wish for Shota. Save the judgments for when we can all hear the music.

Also, having personally spent time with Shota Nakama, I think the statement in the interview doesn't just reflect his excitement and the belief in the quality of the musicians he works with ... it also has a lot to do with his strong knowledge of VGM in general. This is a guy who really knows his stuff (especially JRPGs, <3) so he's done the comparison game plenty of times, especially comparing original to arranged (from the old Orchestral Game Concerts, to Dear Friends, to the "Myth" Xenogears album, etc). He has some objectivity there, though there's no ignoring that he will have a bias with his own work.

Last edited by Ramza; Sep 30, 2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:46 PM

That's the worst reason not to get an album, period.

p.s. he's right in the sense that pretty much anything that was in question w.r.t. adding, removing, or retaining both arrangement and production/mixing was greenlit personally by Yoko Shimomura (It's no secret that if you look at the raw sequencer data from the original game, there were some objective mistakes in pitches, etc which were either overlooked, or simply ignored because they weren't audible). We had spreadsheets that span a hilarious number of pages.

Also that's just the way he describes things in general. His excitement is contagious. Of course, I'm guessing saying stuff like that doesn't get conveyed nearly as well over the internet would seem like an inadequate defense?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 06:21 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
That's the worst reason not to get an album, period.

[...]

Also that's just the way he describes things in general. His excitement is contagious. Of course, I'm guessing saying stuff like that doesn't get conveyed nearly as well over the internet would seem like an inadequate defense?
First part -- I can think of a few worse, no need for hyperbole. *wink*

Last part -- This is so true. A few minutes in-person, or even over video chat, with Shota and you can pick up on his personality. I've never met anyone quite like him. He shares the same traits as other concert organizers in the senses that he REALLY believes in what he's doing, AND he has an insane amount of energy (for all these Type A's doing outlandishly-hard work, I always worry about their health!!). But Shota's enthusiasm really does surprise me. This could be terribly prejudiced to say, but I think it has something to do with the fact that he's Japanese. A Japanese person in his position would probably be as reserved as the kind of statement LA proposed hypothetically above. But Shota's lived in the US so long ... well, that's my point about the prejudice. Maybe this is how Shota has ALWAYS been and I'm just stereotyping Japanese people? OR maybe being in Boston this long has given Shota the social green-light to be more self-promoting? IDK, and I don't want to piss off anyone, Asian or otherwise, so I'll shut up now.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 06:15 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
LA, I'm not ashamed to say that I think you're one of the most thoughtful and intelligent people in all the online VGM communities I've run through. You've introduced me to great music and I generally appreciate you're opinions and taste over those of others.
Thanks Patrick for the kind words, but as you can see below, even I'm prone to ranting from time to time

Quote:
Nonetheless, I feel a strong desire to push for a rethinking here. I can understand not liking what Shota said, and that feeling that your chance to critique it is being "robbed." But then, he doesn't really have that power? You are perfectly capable of ignoring or discounting that statement in going into the music.
Of course I could just ignore the statement, but this interview is available online, so I guess it's expected that people react to it. And I react to it, maybe not in the way that most people want it ("Give me a like, but keep your negative critique to yourself.").

But this is not really the point. My problem with the statement is that it's indicative of the mindset of the people doing the statement. In particular it points out a 'classic' misconception, that there is art (music here) that just appeals to everyone.
Example: I love the Back to the Future series, all three movies. I have probably watched them over 50 times in my life and I never grow tired out it. However I would never go as far as to say that everyone is going (or has) to like the movies. There are people out there, lots of them, that can't appreciate the movie in the same way that I do. Appreciation of art is all subjective. Something that especially the artist himself should be aware of.

Claiming that your work is the 'absolute truth' doesn't help to convince me. More the opposite.

Quote:
And at the end of the day, you're free to make your determination about the music's quality. If "Consider me not interested" is a conclusion you reached as a result of Shota's bold pronouncement, I would again urge the same restraint for yourself that you wish for Shota. Save the judgments for when we can all hear the music.
This is probably the main misunderstanding here. Of course I had a certain interest in this, because it is Shimomura and I usually love everything she does. But first of all, this is not new music. I already own all the KH music (the box, BbS, DDD, etc.) that's available, so this product has to offer me something else.

Do the arrangements/remixes bring out a different side of the original music? A good example would be the NieR piano collections, or piano arrangements in general. Doesn't need to be piano though, just something that makes me personally think: "Hey, this is a nice (and different) approach to this track, I like this."

Or take the FF10 HD Remaster soundtrack, in particular the rearrange of Besaid Island. This track sparked a lot of feedback here on the forums, both good and bad. But the point is, that is generated that feedback. People felt strongly about this track, because they actually did something new with it (for better or for worse, which again is subjective). In my opinion it's better when you get comments like "I think the original is much more creative, while the new one sounds like Asian muzak.", instead of everyone being like "Yeah, it was kinda OK, not so much different than the original.", and that's it.

Long story short, this certain 'trigger', the impulse to consider this noteworthy, something like this doesn't exist at the moment. I haven't heard, or read (that's why I read the interview in the first place) anything that picked up my interest.

Sometimes I even just go with arranger information with these kind of releases. Announce that e.g. ACE+ is arranging some battle tracks, and you get my attention. Again, this didn't happen. The only reference that I have here is Nakama's work on Lightning Returns, and IMHO that soundtrack is just terrible.

Quote:
Also, having personally spent time with Shota Nakama, I think the statement in the interview doesn't just reflect his excitement and the belief in the quality of the musicians he works with ... it also has a lot to do with his strong knowledge of VGM in general. This is a guy who really knows his stuff (especially JRPGs, <3) so he's done the comparison game plenty of times, especially comparing original to arranged (from the old Orchestral Game Concerts, to Dear Friends, to the "Myth" Xenogears album, etc). He has some objectivity there, though there's no ignoring that he will have a bias with his own work.
This doesn't help the fact that there's a lot of, let's call it self-adulation, in the interview.

Like I said, I tried to use the interview as a reference to gather more information about this release. I didn't find this information. Instead I got this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shota Nakama
The actual recording part was not that hard at all, thanks to our fantastic musicians. We got through all the music comfortably in 2.5 days (coincidentally)! Shimomura-san and the Square Enix sound team were online to monitor the entire process and they were really happy with the result. After everything, they even told us our speed and quality were just stunning. The mixing took a bit longer than we had expected because of how we had to handle the process: we do some rough mixes and send them to Shimomura-san, she comments on the things, and we use the notes and revise… some mixes had like six revisions. But as a composer that is her job and compromising is the worst thing to do unless you have a very specific reason.
1) fantastic musicians: Only the best here!
2) comfortably in 2.5 days: See, we didn't even break a sweat playing your shit. Just how awesome are we, eh?!?!
3) were really happy with the result: See, and even our Squeenix bros say that we rock da house. Word!
4) our speed and quality were just stunning: Fo' shizzle my nizzle!

So did this raise further interest in me? No, obviously not. The only mildly interesting information in there was about the feedback loop for the remixing process.
There are always difficulties with projects of that size, so instead of bragging about how you aced this with flying colors (which I won't believe anyway), just tell a funny story about something that actually went wrong and how it was fixed in the end. Something that you can associate with this particular project and therefore makes it individual. Something that stays with the reader and lets him/her smirk.

Again, I never said that I lost interest in the album because of the interview. I gave this interview a chance to change my mind about the album. It didn't use that chance though, and that's what I'm critizing.

Quoting myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid
If the album is actually good, I'm going to buy it eventually.

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Oct 2, 2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 06:53 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Well said, sir. Well said.

I truly think the self-adulation thing has become east vs west. I've personally conducted interviews with Japanese composers/arrangers, and then with American composers/arrangers, and the nature of the conversation tends to be totally different. And what's interesting is that, at least in this latest interview, Shota sounds very American (as I said before, I know I'm probably getting myself in huge trouble for stereotyping!).

But seriously ... read interviews with Jeremy Soule or Inon Zur or Tommy Tallarico and then compare it to Hitoshi Sakimoto or Yasunori Mitsuda. They are completely different reads. And for me, Shota's interview reads like the former. I understand your distaste for it, but I get this feeling that it has just started to come with the territory.

The critique that I think would best help Shota at this point is the one you made about telling specific stories, funny stories, about what happened during the process. THAT is colorful, THAT gets me excited about the recording artists, and it gives me a sense that the person being interviewed isn't one-dimensional. Again, because I am acquainted with Shota, I can read that and hear him saying it and know how it ISN'T one-dimensional. But for so many other readers, they're missing out on that. Maybe you should start working in PR for Western music organizations, LA??

(I get the feeling you'd hate that. But you'd nonetheless give great advice!)

Ramza
Old Oct 4, 2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Tommy Tallarico
Hahahaha man, what makes Tommy Tommy is how much larger than life his descriptions are.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 05:09 AM

I myself am not an expert in KH music (maybe 'disinterest' is the closest word), but man thank goodness this is not Jindo or Okajima saying this kind of bullshit regarding their rearrangements of Zero and Ao no Kiseki soundtracks for the Evolution versions, because otherwise I'd probably freak out about it as well. :-/

Still, I'm sure this will be a much better effort/result than what (most of) these two disasters were (in my eyes, anyway). Just check some samples, YouTube videos or whatever and then decide if it's worth your money or not. There should be some tracks on YouTube already.

[/UselessContributionToTopic]
Old Oct 6, 2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Claiming that your work is the 'absolute truth' doesn't help to convince me. More the opposite.
Same here. People that spout such stuff quickly get filed into the PR folder and ignored by me. As Ramza correctly pointed out this has become some form of "east vs west" (though luckily there are a lot of mostly scene based exceptions in the west that stay down to earth).
Old Oct 6, 2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
My problem with the statement is that it's indicative of the mindset of the people doing the statement. In particular it points out a 'classic' misconception, that there is art (music here) that just appeals to everyone.
Example: I love the Back to the Future series, all three movies. I have probably watched them over 50 times in my life and I never grow tired out it. However I would never go as far as to say that everyone is going (or has) to like the movies. There are people out there, lots of them, that can't appreciate the movie in the same way that I do. Appreciation of art is all subjective. Something that especially the artist himself should be aware of.
Just wanted to pitch in here with something about art, something that I saw on game-related site about definition of art and thought it was interesting.

“Art is the profoundly satisfying experience that happens between an artefact and a person experiencing that artefact.”
- FuturLab, 2013

So basically it's a chemistry between a man-made object (maybe non-tangible: music) and a person. If it works, it clicks - it's an art for that person; but for someone else it's not an art.

As for Back to the Future, I enojoy it even though it deals with one of the most concepts of sci-fi that I just can't stomach - time travle. But because it doesn't take itself seriously it's an enjoyable feat.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:55 PM

http://soundtrack.jp.square-enix.com/news/#20141125

a note: apparently on disc 2 track 31 for the 1.5 soundtrack (both individual and in the box set) that track was mistakenly put on the disc as mono sound instead of stereo. Square Enix Music is doing a replacement program, but I don't know if that applies to overseas purchases (I ordered through Amazon Japan this time for these).

I know CD Japan sent out replacement discs for the FFIV remaster soundtrack snafu. Anyone order through them?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 06:36 PM

I ordered the box from CDJapan, but it isn't scheduled to ship until next week because I preordered something else with it. I emailed them about it, but no word at all yet. I hope they are able to take care of it. I would not mind my package delayed to have it all settled at once. How exactly did it work with the FFIV disc?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 09:49 PM

had to back in my e-mail archive to reconfirm this one:
for the FFIV situation CD Japan was in contact with the distributor and gave them my address (with my permission) and they mailed me a replacement disc. they'll probably take a little while to work out the details before they get back to you.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:08 AM

CDJapan just emailed me, and told me they'd be sending me the replacement disc once they got it in. It might take some time, but they're handling it without any effort on my part. Sounds good to me!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:41 PM

i should have done that, Amazon Japan requested a return of the soundtracks (at their expense though, which is nice, but DHL is a bitch to deal even on the best of days, it was a hassle just getting out to their depot and dealing with the staff there). But then, who knew there was going to be another disc screw up? =p
Old Dec 2, 2014, 05:31 PM

Weird and expensive to reprint a whole CD for just one mono track. I've seen official releases go by with worse flaws unfixed (sounds similar to a skipping CD through a large portion of the orchestral part of the Death Note OST, for example - no, it is not just my disc). I'm a fairly obsessive person about little things, but even I would be content with merely a lossless download of that one track. I'd just drop it in my folder with the ripped disc and wouldn't even know the difference, while the original CD would sit on my shelf like all the other game music albums I own and rarely touch since they're already on my computer.

Can't imagine why anything would have been made mono or how that could happen accidentally, but I guess moderate kudos to Square Enix for correcting it. Sucks the way Amazon Japan wants to handle the situation though.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:28 AM

Square Enix takes their music legacy very seriously. That much I can tell you.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 02:23 PM

While I applaud CD Japan for making it easy for people to get a replacement CD I can see the logic in getting the faulty soundtracks returned - it takes them out of circulation, and there is no possibility of anyone getting shafted if they find themselves a used copy.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 04:56 PM

You really think they're doing swaps out of consideration for the 2nd hand market sanity? lol, no way, they're doing this so as to verify customers entering the exchange program really are entitled to.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 06:24 AM

Default Now that the soundtrack has been released...

Can someone please post the liner notes and track lengths? It would be good to know which of the tracks have been remastered and which have not.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
Square Enix takes their music legacy very seriously. That much I can tell you.
Strangely though, on that second disc of the FFIV remaster for which they sent out replacements, some of the previously unreleased fanfare tracks fade out unnecessarily since they come to real ends. That was at least as big an error as the issue with "Dancing Calcobrena" and it didn't get fixed even when the opportunity arose. And the fake "hi-res" on their Blu-rays is somewhat bothersome especially when they put out end products with totally avoidable clipping.

I mean, I'm pleased they release so many soundtracks and treat their composers right and have been at the forefront in the promotion of game music since the days of the second Final Fantasy. But their soundtrack releases haven't always been spotless and this seems like such a minor error to go to so much trouble for.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 07:55 AM

CDJ delivered, top-notch service as usual:
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:42 AM

CD Japan are great at packaging things safely too.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:39 PM

Although I get that these are supposed to be a showcase for the remastered music, it seems a shame that the Chain of Memories-exclusive tracks aren't represented, given that the last disc of the 1.5 soundtrack has 40 minutes of space left on it and the Chain of Memories soundtrack is only available in an out-of-print complete PS2 series boxset.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 07:37 AM

Got my replacement disc as well. But the box isn't here yet...

I'm not so miffed at lack of CoM as I am at lack of BBS. At least put the ending theme in...