VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 28, 2007, 08:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Default How did you find this place?

How did you come across vgmdb.net anyway? Did you come from gamingforce or slightlydark? Word of mouth? Were you google searching an album when one of our pages came up as a result? I know some of you people from other places but there are quite a few I don't recognize. :3
Old Dec 28, 2007, 08:52 PM

I'm a long time lurker/infrequent-poster from Chudah's and STC. I found out about this project back when it was still called GamingForce Audio in the drama thread on STC.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 09:10 PM

I think I Googled some catalog number and this site came up as the top result. I also frequent the STC forums and I've seen VGMdb links used there more often lately, so we'll probably see more people from there as well.

-Mike
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:50 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I used to know the old Gamingforce Audio website.
I joined VGMdb as soon as i discovered it
Old Dec 29, 2007, 04:21 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I jumped on staff back in 2006 when the whole project started as "Gamingforce Audio 5" and bobo (of all people) was spearheading the project. My participation waxed and waned over the year, but I'm really interested in VGMdb currently.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:12 AM
Trusted Editor

Frequent lurker at GFF, so I heard about this project when Bobo was still running off from admin duty. Been excited from that day on to see a finally good vgm database.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 08:48 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'd have to guess the GFF announcement, since none of the staff I know told me about the site before it got out of alpha. I signed up as soon as I heard of VGMdb and saw the beta announcement.

I'm particularly an enthusiast of the American doujin scene, mostly free digital releases, though I've also tried to add a lot of Commodore 64 arrange albums and soundtracks since those tend to get overlooked, at least on my side of the ocean.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 09:29 AM

I became intersted in doujin music already a few years ago. Back then, it was a very unknown music materia and gathering informations was quite difficult. I've found VGMdb via google, while searching CROW'SCLAW informations (for 17 Division).
I liked this site instantly, because it's so organized and well maintained and I'm a litte perfectionist myself...
Since that day, I'm enjoying my stay and submitting informations. It's nice to see how complex this database already is and how it still grows.

Last edited by Gaia; Jan 13, 2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 03:34 PM

I've been kept relatively up to date with VGMdb from before when it was still called GFA... So it was only natural that I'd find out about the beta release and all the other developments. It has definitely come a long way since the old direct-download days.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:26 PM

GFF of course. I found GFA looking for the Chrono Cross OST. One of the first soundtracks I really really loved.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 04:34 AM

Funnily enough, I think I bumped on the C72 listing (forum) thread after a google search.
I liked the idea of the website, because I'm a rating biatch, and the dark theme was also one of the things that drew me to VGMdb, along with the multi-language tracklists. I was also interested in seeing how things are put together from a usability standpoint, as it might help for another database I sometimes visit, VNDB.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:22 AM

Gamingforce. I joined GFA staff back in '06 as well, but I resigned a few months ago since I obviously don't come here as much as I used to.

I'm really not into VGM as much as I am into film scores nowadays, as unfortunate as that is (oddly enough the only reason I remembered to come back here today was because some ad-spammer sent me a private message).
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:04 AM
Trusted Editor

I think I was told about the project via AIM and thought it was quite redundant for a VGM database.
Then it suddenly started taking an interesting direction and I joined the fun.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:08 AM

Probably googling catalog numbers. I've been collecting music and tagging unknown game albums using GMR, Chudah, and the occasional japanese CD site for a long time. So imagine my surprise when I found something more comprehensive with better art resources for a project I've been working on.... that's probably all I need to say.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 05:18 PM

I can't remember if I first found it through Gamingforce or Google. I'm a vgm junkie, and, like others, when I found something better than GMR and Chudah, I was hooked.

Last edited by ElementalKnight; Feb 20, 2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:40 AM

Heh, lots of familiar faces here!
I only discovered this place today, purely by chance. Found an old bookmark to Chudah's, and a link on that site brought me here. I don't recall ever reading about it on GFF, though I'm sure I must have at some point, considering how much I used to hang around there.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:16 PM

Through GFF. I had heard of Gamingforce Audio back then but I never really checked it out until it became VGMdb. I'd always been on the lookout for a database where I could store/view my VGM collection and this one fits the bill.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 02:22 PM

I'm a long-time lurker and very infrequent poster on places like Chudah's, STC and Slightly Dark. I specifically heard about this place via Slightly Dark though.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 01:09 AM

I didn't even know it existed since I hadn't checked much on VGM stuff before finding about it in autumn last year. When I finally got a few cds back then and looked for info about them, is when I stumbled on it.
Like some people say, I got hooked, as it is a MUCH better source (and probably the best one out there) than most sites. "Collections" is definitely one of its strong points along many others.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:00 AM

Wink Found by googling

I found you by googling Cheap Dinosaurs/Chromelodeon/Sprite Slowdown.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:28 AM

One of my friends told me about this website, I was like, is this where you get the info & then he said "yeah" so that's what made me decide to join in.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:13 AM

I've been here a few times searching for various albums. It seemed that now was as good a time as any to join.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:42 PM

SlightlyDark. Haven't been to that site in awhile and while I was reading the forums I came across VGMdb.
Old May 9, 2008, 12:48 PM

Blitz Lunar has been obsessing over it on IRC and stuff.
Old May 10, 2008, 12:19 PM

shhhhh!

I just found it through it repeatedly appearing on wikipedia + google searches. Then eventually succumbed once I found it invaluable for a few things that other sites couldn't quite hack.
Old May 30, 2008, 06:52 PM

Looking for music off the Sega Rally 2 soundtrack. Even had a vocal, but I cant find it anywhere. Grrr.
Old May 31, 2008, 03:07 PM

I think I heard of it on Chudah's Corner, but I'm not sure anymore... And as others, it was such a good info source that I kept coming back. ^^
Old Jun 1, 2008, 12:34 AM

Talking

Hi there - I'm a new member and Secret pointed me directly to VGMdb.

What a great site
Old Jun 1, 2008, 03:41 PM

I lurk around Chudah's Corner whenever possible and I'm not entirely sure how but I found my way here.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:12 PM

I first came around back during the GFA days. I thought it was a wonderful premise. SO when word started going around of a resurgence of sorts I absolutely wanted to be a part of it.