VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Feb 1, 2010, 06:14 AM

Anyone has info on the MSX game titled "Konami Game Collection Vol.3 Nemesis" ?

Not even GHW can shed a light on it:
http://www.gamestone.co.uk/gradius/g...game=07&page=1

And how is that I am already so familiar with "Historic Soldier" ? It cannot be used just in this MSX titles, the tune is just too famous to go unnoticed... (edit: it's the highscore tune in the arcade, right? Then why the usually quite precise tracklist references the MSX?)

Last edited by The Gambler; Feb 1, 2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

Not sure if you know, but the European MSX release of Gradius was called Nemesis. So perhaps the audio differed in some way between the original Japanese release and the European one. I don't know where the "Konami Game Collection Vol.3" part comes from, but I assume 'Nemesis' we released in Japan at a later time in some sort of compilation - which would further point towards there being some actual differences between the two original releases.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 02:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Seems it's like Seanne suggested. From gamefaqs and the jp wiki I get that Konami Game Collections were game compilations using floppy disks released in Japan, and Vol.3 has "Nemesis" (instead of the regular Gradius, there are minor differences apparently).
If used with the SCC sound cartridge expansion you'd get tweaked/arranged versions of the music. So I guess they used those versions instead of the regular arcade music. I don't know if the Euro Nemesis could use that SCC cart or if it was a new feature for the jp release, though.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 04:20 AM
VGMdb Staff

Here's a blog post which seems to shed some more light on the issue, as well as having a youtube clip featuring some gameplay from an (I assume) SCC enhanced Nemesis.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:36 AM

Yeah, I know about the european change of name. The thing that puzzles me is that for every other track the game mentioned in brackets is the game where the relative tune originated. Now, Historic Soldier is present in the 1985 Gradius Arcade. And the tune isn't that sophisticated to allow one to think that they preferred to use the MSX rendition as the basis for the arrangement...
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
Yeah, I know about the european change of name. The thing that puzzles me is that for every other track the game mentioned in brackets is the game where the relative tune originated. Now, Historic Soldier is present in the 1985 Gradius Arcade. And the tune isn't that sophisticated to allow one to think that they preferred to use the MSX rendition as the basis for the arrangement...
1) Possibly an oversight.
2) They may have singled out that version for its particular notation. For instance, in Castlevania ReBirth, the little sting from "Vampire Killer" that plays on the Wii Menu and before a stage starts comes specifically from the arrangement in Akumajo Dracula X68000, even though the song itself goes all the way back to the start of the Castlevania series. It'll be interesting to see if they address this similarly when that album's tracklist gets posted.