VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:58 AM

wonderful work here, daniel.

i've been looking for complete NES arranges of the 1st 3 sonics lately. so its great to finally have this!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 09:39 PM

I agree; now we need a composer breakdown.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 05:19 AM

I added what's official so far. Wish I could go any further, but I don't want to be irresponsible... Besides, kyubihanyou has made an excellent breakdown that, although it's mostly theory, I would say it's quite agreeable.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:44 PM

Drowning (real name "Timer" [?]) is confirmed to have been composed by Yukifumi Makino in the Sonic Colors OST (ViViD SOUND x HYBRiD COLORS) booklet.

This tells me that ICEKnight must also be right about Yukifumi Makino composing and arranging "Chaos Emerald" according to the Sonic 3D Blast hack.

Oy vay. Just when I thought my breakdown can be finalized. BAM!!

That's why I love this stuff.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 28, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:41 PM

Every bit helps. =)

I'm sure, even if it takes another year or two, that we'll eventually know who composed what.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoZeke View Post
Every bit helps. =)

I'm sure, even if it takes another year or two, that we'll eventually know who composed what.
Mm-hm.

One thing, though. Now that I'm more actively considering ICEKnight to be correct, meaning that Chaos Emerald (arranged from original; same as S3) is done by Makino and Timer is a like track [originating from S1; arranged in S3] where composition is definitely Makino's, then wouldn't that make Makino the same person as Milpo, despite being previously known as Macky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuP04DhLgMQ#t=4m56s) and both Macky and Milpo appearing in S2's credits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCp-5YnJxk#t=4m22s)? It wouldn't be the only time the same person was credited twice under two different names for different works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFqfkBwlO-M#t=1m59s - Enjoy the I.D.E.A.

EDIT (02/07): Ignore the above. Makino and Milpo are two completely different people.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/3x3-eyes-seima-densetsu

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 7, 2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:24 PM

Well, that certainly is an interesting notion--certainly something to think about given the example.

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Dec 27, 2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:54 PM

OK, so here's my breakdown from other threads, already updated with all the most recent information and breakthroughs I've come across, only this one...
a) Uses this album's naming scheme
b) Includes the sound effects I left out on my other ones, and
c) Is devoid of all the endless text

More Track/Sound-based variation found here: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2067
More Composer-based variation found here: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3511

ICEKnight's hack: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=6464

[Bold = Confirmed, Italics = Implied]

Tokuhiko Uwabo: Sound Team Director*
* Confirmed via direct word (contacted by Dissident93)

Howard Drossin: Composition of "S&K Main Theme"* and "S&K Knuckles' Theme"*
*Via Sega Tunes: Virtual Sonic (Sonic and Knuckles Theme and Knucklemania, respectively)

**NOTE: Virtual Sonic was recorded in 1993. Therefore, his "Sound Special Thanks" credit in Sonic 3 comes from the fact that these two compositions were slated to be used in the game at that point (though they weren't actually there) and his "Music Composer" credit in S&K and S3&K comes from their actually being in the game then. Thus Drossin might not have actually been part of the game staff at all aside from having composed these themes, thus Setsumaru arranged all 5 tracks (based on ICEKnight's hack and the 2008 Drossin interview) that utilized these two compositions.

Masayuki Nagao: S3 Title*/***, File Select****, Angel Island Act I***, Angel Island Act II***, Marble Garden Act I, Marble Garden Act II, Lava Reef Act I, Lava Reef Act II, Stage Boss*, Final Boss**, The Doomsday Zone, S3 Invincibility*, Chrome Gadget, Desert Palace
-Ambient/Action
*Via Sonic Drift 2
**Is a keyboardist (http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3515) (corresponds to significant keyboard part in Final Boss)
***Via reverse logic (Nagao was the only person who left Sega by the time the 10th Anniversary CD was released [Tokuhiko Uwabo transfered to Europe from 1994 to 2004], thereby giving a reason for him not to be credited in the data)
****Via relationship to Angel Island Zone (especially Act II).

Masaru Setsumaru: S3K Title**, S3K All Clear**/***, S3 All Clear***, S3K Staff Roll***, S3K Extra Life*/**, S3K Invincibility**, S3K Knuckles' Theme**, Balloon Park
*In Sonic 3D Blast/In accordance with ICEKnight's hack
**Confirmed to be arranged by Setsumaru via interview (i.e. Drossin only created the original version of the theme; Setsumaru took it from there)
***Via beta credits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyeMB...eature=related) (S3K All Clear [a Setsumaru definite] replaced S3 All Clear in the lineup, thereby associating S3K Staff Roll with Setsumaru in the process)

****NOTE: Setsumaru confirmed himself that he only arranged the File Select theme for Sonic Jam. It is not his composition.

C. Cirocco Jones: Cues for Hydrocity and Marble Garden made specifically for MJ. Most likely not in the final versions because those tracks were not replaced by Sega.

Sachio Ogawa: Hydrocity Act I, Hydrocity Act II, (and possibly Marble Garden Act I, Marble Garden Act II)
-Different from the rest, and yet was not replaced in PC Collection. Hydrocity is most similar to Ogawa's work on The Hybrid Front.

Michael Jackson [with assistance from Brad Buxer, Bobby Brooks, Darryl Ross, Geoff Grace, and Doug Grigsby III]: Carnival Night Act I*, Carnival Night Act II*, Ice Cap Act I*, Ice Cap Act II*, Launch Base Act I*, Launch Base Act II*, S3 Miniboss*, S3 Staff Roll*, S3 Knuckles' Theme*, Competition*
-See Racapitated (http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5796) as to why I do not assign composer status to the other five
*Via Sonic & Knuckles PC Collection

Jun Senoue: Act Clear*/**, Bonus Stage - Gumball**, Bonus Stage - Slot Machine****, Bonus Stage - Pinball***, S3 Extra Life*****, Endless Mine******, Competition Results*/**, Game Over*/**
*In Sonic 3D Blast (final version [i.e. via Sound Test])
**In accordance with ICEKnight's hack [i.e. not in the Sound Test]
***Via interview [i.e. Jun's favorite track from the game]
****Via Unused Special Stage track from Sonic 3D Blast by Jun Senoue (accessed by ICEKnight's hack)
*****Via Sonic 4
******Via Sonic Generations

Tomonori Sawada: Mushroom Hill Act I, Mushroom Hill Act II, Flying Battery Act I, Flying Battery Act II, Sandopolis Act I, Sandopolis Act II, Sky Sanctuary*, Death Egg Act I, Death Egg Act II, S3K Miniboss, Azure Lake
-Techno/Ambient
-Is the least likely to have done sound effects due to his lack of Sound Effects credits in later Sonic games [especially in the main series]
*Very likely based on the Sonic 10th Anniversary CD data

Yukifumi Makino [not creditied in-game]: Emerald Acquired**, Continue***, Drowning*
-The confirmation from the Sonic Colors OST combined with ICEKnight's hack leads me to believe that Makino not only did Chaos Emerald, but that he did arrange them for Sonic 3 despite going completely uncredited for it.
*Via Sonic Colors OST
**In accordance with ICEKnight's hack
***Based on Hiroshi Kubota's (Jimita) reputation as a programmer and his early departure from the series (http://info.sonicretro.org/Hiroshi_Kubota). This only leaves Makino for S1 sound effects (and two of its most well-known jingles, apparently, based on the two above points)

Tatsuyuki Maeda: All Emeralds Collected
-Based on 2nd-most prominent Sound Effects status (Setsumaru is 1st), as this SE would have been used much more often had Setsumaru created it

Yoshiaki Kashima: Special Stage*
*Via the Sonic 10th Anniversary CD data and direct word (contacted by LOst)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Aug 6, 2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:57 PM

Straight from Sonic Retro
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.p...c=8815&st=1755

"Well, of course his findings are 100% true, all of the composer credits are actually in the ROM. :P

I don't know if they are actually used anywhere in the game (I was guessing maybe some kind of cheat code for the sound test or something), but I do know that someone decided to add the composer credits in the ROM during the last one of two weeks of development." - evilhamwizard

So it's official: ICEKnight's hack is 100% accurate. All the tracks are tagged correctly, which include six from Sonic 3&K.

-Act Clear - Composed & Arranged by Jun Senoue
-Bonus Stage - Gumball - Composed & Arranged by Jun Senoue
-Emerald Acquired - Composed & Arranged by Yukifumi Makino
-S3K Extra Life - Composed by Howard Drossin, Arranged by Masaru Setsumaru
-Competition Results - Composed & Arranged by Jun Senoue
-Game Over - Composed & Arranged by Jun Senoue

In other news, the Sonic 10th Anniversary CD's data has been ripped, and it does include individual composer information for tracks 11-15
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.p...c=8815&st=1755

作曲:中村正人(1~10)
作曲:澤田朋伯,香嶋良昭,Howard Drossin(11~15)
作曲:尾形雅史(16)
作曲:幡谷尚史(17)
作曲・作詞:Richard Jacques(18,19)
作曲:瀬上純,床井健一(21)
作曲・作詞:熊谷文恵(22)
作曲・作詞:瀬上純,床井健一,熊谷文恵(23)
作詞:ケーシー・ランキン(16,17)
作詞:瀬上純(21)
From: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood/4764/gmcd/cd74.htm

So S3 Title, Angel Island I and Sky Sanctuary can be assigned to a smaller range than others.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 3, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:27 PM

I remember reading this a few years ago. Also, the thing about Sonic Crackers cracks me up for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun Senoue
"I know you didn't do most of the songs in this game specifically, but which did you do?" and he responded "This one? ... Just the bonus round and special stage."
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
"He considered and said the Bonus round with the gravity balls."

So that's where the "he did all three bonus stages" bit came from...
Well I guess this makes it two out of three.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:15 AM

A reply from LOst of Sonic Retro from this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaVvq7NZvKE

"Sonic 3D Blast has individual credits, including Howard Drossin (he was also interviewed). And I have talked directly to Senoue and Milpo back in the days."

So it's official: Milpo/Yoshiaki Kashima did the Special Stage music.

On that note, I'd like to bring up the fact that for all the vairations of the main theme (Opening, Invincibility and Ending) of Sonic 3D Blast, the original composition is always credited to Senoue, even though Setsumaru was responsible for arranging the last one, just as he arranged Drossin's theme for 1-Up.

0F Ending: Composed by Jun Senoue, Arranged by Masaru Setsumaru
14 Intro: Composed by Jun Senoue, Arranged by Jun Senoue
19 1-UP: Composed by Howard Drossin, Arranged by Masaru Setsumaru*
1B Invincibility: Composed by Jun Senoue, Arranged by Jun Senoue

-Therefore, Drossin should be credited for compositon for S3K Invincibility and S3K All Clear.

-Then there's whether or not Nagao can truly be credited to the main theme of Sonic 3 (for S3 All Clear, S3 Invincibility, and S3 1-Up) and Stage Boss (for Final Boss and The Doomsday Zone).

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 3, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:22 AM

so what's the deal with tracks 02~09, 16~26, 28, 31~35, 38, 42, 44~46, 51~55? the album page doesn't make that obvious, especially not to someone like me, who's unfamiliar with sonic 3, sonic & knuckles and the combination thereof. if the composers are not known for those tracks (is that right?) then perhaps "Unknown" should be listed for them as well. i'm potentially interested in retagging the VGM project2612 set in accordance with what's written here, but if there isn't information for every song then it doesn't make sense.

as for where all these credits come from... well i'm flabbergasted. haha. i read this thread but it's overwhelming. maybe if it were all presented in chronological order rather than by composer, and in a more succinct way...
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:48 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
i'm potentially interested in retagging the VGM project2612 set in accordance with what's written here, but if there isn't information for every song then it doesn't make sense.

as for where all these credits come from... well i'm flabbergasted. haha. i read this thread but it's overwhelming. maybe if it were all presented in chronological order rather than by composer, and in a more succinct way...
I agree! I've also been working on some of the sets at project2612 lately. They have lots of inaccurate credits, in fact.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 06:49 AM

furthermore, Drossin is credited for songs on this album that he isn't here. Again, I don't know much about the games, but this site should be educating people like me, rather than confusing us anyone able to bring both entries in line with each other/make sense of it?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
furthermore, Drossin is credited for songs on this album that he isn't here. Again, I don't know much about the games, but this site should be educating people like me, rather than confusing us anyone able to bring both entries in line with each other/make sense of it?
That album is now fixed and much more detailed.

Don't worry about reading all that previous crap; I've made this album the proper designation for all official credits. Here's the basics:

-The Sonic 3 Sound Test had nearly all of S&K's music; Mushroom Hill and the like (and especially Act 1 Boss (S&K)) were fully made back then with the original intent to be used with the rest of the music as one full game. Therefore it is still a true statement that Drossin did all the music in S&K, but only to the extent of the 5 (Title, 1-Up, Invincibility, All Clear, and Knuckles' Theme) that did not exist previously in Sonic 3.

-The Sonic 3 credits theme is officially confirmed as the draft version of Stranger in Moscow and as such was replaced along with eight other tracks for Sonic & Knuckles Collection. Thus all the replaced themes were composed by MJ with the other five people (Brad to Geoff) who helped him. The tenth theme, Act 1 Boss (S3) is MJ's by association even though it wasn't replaced because it uses the same music as Knuckles' Theme (S3) along with its own sampled vocals and potential MJ song reference (They Don't Care About Us, perhaps?).

-Scirocco's contributions are just cues for Hydrocity and Marble Garden that, since he was working for MJ, not Sega, were most likely trashed when the final versions of Hydrocity and Marble Garden (which were not replaced in S&K Collection) were made. This does, however, open up the possibility of the nonreplaced [in S&K Collection] songs made by Sega being inspired by MJ, such as Azure Lake {Black or White}, Hydrocity Act 1 {Give in to Me}, Hydrocity Act 2 {Blood on the Dancefloor}, Marble Garden Act 1 {Thriller}, and Lava Reef Act 1 {Dirty Diana}.

-ICEKnight's hack provided credits for both composition and arrangement for all the tracks in the game's data (Act Clear, 1-Up (S&K), Continue, Game Over, Chaos Emerald), one not even used in the game itself (Gumball Machine) and an unused Special Stage track that samples a S3 track (Slot Machine).

-Other confirmations and deconfirmations come from albums such as Sega Tunes - Virtual Sonic (which show what Drossin did and did not compose for S&K), Sonic 10th Anniversary (for the 5 tracks there) and True Blue (lack of "Music by Jun Senoue" credit for Angel Island) and past interviews (Magnetic Orbs/Pinball) and hints from other games such as Sonic Drift 2 (Act 2 Boss and Invincibility (S3)) and Sonic Jam (Data Select). Simply put, anything reused by Sega was made by Sega, and anything that isn't reused is MJ's and therefore prohibited, which would explain why Sonic 3 rearrangements or even an OST release are so troublesome to produce.

Running total (C= Composition, A=Arrangement)

01 S3K Title (C=Howard Drossin, A=Masaru Setsumaru)
02 S3 Title (C=, A=)
03 File Select (C=, A=) [NOTE: NOT SETSUMARU's; most likely by whoever did Angel Island (Act II)]
04 Angel Island Act I (C=, A=)
05 Angel Island Act II (C=, A=)
06 Hydrocity Act I (C=, A=)
07 Hydrocity Act II (C=, A=)
08 Marble Garden Act I (C=, A=)
09 Marble Garden Act II (C=, A=)
10 Carnival Night Act I (C=Michael Jackson et al. {Jam}, A=)
11 Carnival Night Act II (C=Michael Jackson et al. {Jam}, A=)
12 Ice Cap Act I (C=Michael Jackson et al. {Who is It}, A=)
13 Ice Cap Act II (C=Michael Jackson et al. {Who is It}, A=)
14 Launch Base Act I (C=Michael Jackson et al. {Bad}, A=)
15 Launch Base Act II (C=Michael Jackson et al. {Bad}, A=)
16 Mushroom Hill Act I (C=, A=)
17 Mushroom Hill Act II (C=, A=)
18 Flying Battery Act I (C=, A=)
19 Flying Battery Act II (C=, A=)
20 Sandopolis Act I (C=, A=)
21 Sandopolis Act II (C=, A=)
22 Lava Reef Act I (C=, A=)
23 Lava Reef Act II (C=, A=)
24 Sky Sanctuary (C=Tomonori Sawada [based on 10th Anniversary CD], A=)
25 Death Egg Act I (C=, A=)
26 Death Egg Act II (C=, A=)
27 Act Clear (C=Jun Senoue, A=Jun Senoue)
28 S3K Miniboss (C=, A=)
29 S3 Miniboss (C=Michael Jackson et al. {In the Closet}/{They Don't Care About Us}, A=)
30 Stage Boss (C=Masayuki Nagao [based on Sonic Drift 2], A=)
31 Final Boss (C=, A=)
32 The Doomsday Zone (C=, A=)
33 S3K All Clear (C=Howard Drossin, A=Masaru Setsumaru)
34 S3 All Clear (C=, A=)
35 S3K Staff Roll (C=, A=)
36 S3 Staff Roll (C=Michael Jackson et al. [Michael Jackson and Brad Buxer] {Stranger in Moscow}, A=Brad Buxer)
37 Bonus Stage - Gumball (C=Jun Senoue, A=Jun Senoue)
38 Bonus Stage - Slot Machine (C=Jun Senoue, A=Jun Senoue)
39 Bonus Stage - Pinball (C=Jun Senoue, A=Jun Senoue)
40 Special Stage (C=Milpo [Yoshiaki Kashima], A=Milpo [Yoshiaki Kashima])
41 Emerald Acquired (C=Yukifumi Makino, A=Yukifumi Makino)
42 All Emeralds Collected (C=, A=)
43 S3K Extra Life (C=Howard Drossin, A=Masaru Setsumaru)
44 S3 Extra Life (C=Jun Senoue [based on Sonic 4], A=)
45 Continue (C=, A=)
46 S3K Invincibility (C=Howard Drossin, A=Masaru Setsumaru)
47 S3 Invincibility (C=, A=)
48 S3K Knuckles' Theme (C=Howard Drossin, A=Masaru Setsumaru)
49 S3 Knuckles' Theme (C=Michael Jackson et al. {In the Closet}, A=)
50 Competition (C=Michael Jackson et al. {You Rock My World}, A=)
51 Azure Lake (C=, A=)
52 Balloon Park (C=, A=)
53 Chrome Gadget (C=, A=)
54 Desert Palace (C=, A=)
55 Endless Mine (C=Jun Senoue [based on Sonic Generations], A=)
56 Competition Results (C=Jun Senoue, A=Jun Senoue)
57 Drowning (C=Yukifumi Makino, A=Yukifumi Makino)
58 Game Over (C=Jun Senoue, A=Jun Senoue)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Aug 6, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
That album is now fixed and much more detailed.
not entirely, it's still confusing. if tracks 1, 7 and 12 have composers, what about the rest? either there should be blanket accreditation for the rest of the possible composers, or they should be labeled "unknown".

anyway, the breakdown helps, thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:26 PM

Just a little something I'd like to bring up.
http://project2612.org/phpbb3/viewto...&t=11&start=10

"Also: Where does Cube Corp fit into this? They specifically say on their website that they composed eight songs for Sonic 3, though no specifics are mentioned. It would be interesting to find out of Opus Corp has a music composition connection as well...IIRC they have a "sound special thanks" same as Cube does."

Nagao is certainly not from Cube, but rather is more affiliated with Opus Corp (as they also contributed to Shinobi III), as this game demonstrates (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srl5z-7Fex4#t=2m57s).

Cube Sound Credits: http://www.cube-sound.co.jp/zpr.html
ソニックIII:8曲作曲(セガ・オブ・アメリカ)

I'd also like to note that Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is listed as such: MR.ロボトニック・ミーン・ビーン・マシーン

There's no Sega of America credit even though the game was released outside of Japan (most likely due to the game's origins, no doubt). There is one, however, for Virtua Fighter 2 for Genesis (also released outside of Japan). Therefore, the credit refers to the location of the work, not the games' destination. Lastly, Cube is known for its sound driver work with Sega.

EDIT (05/02, 4:15PM): Forget what I said before and read the first post here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.p...c=8815&st=1935.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; May 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:59 AM
Trusted Editor

Any updates?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 01:22 PM

Was just listening to the sound test album and is it just me or was Sonic 3 a big step back when compared to 1 and 2? The only stellar tracks were the Ice Cap Zones.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 02:54 AM

hmm... i want to say it's just you! i'm more familiar with the first game's soundtrack than the other two, but all of them have some killer songs. i reckon sonic 3 & K has a funkier sound overall, which i dig.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:44 AM
Trusted Editor

Maybe because Sonic 1 and 2 have a consistent composer, and with Sonic 3 & K, we STILL do not know who did what exactly?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:14 AM

Nevermind, has been already added.