VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 13, 2016, 06:22 AM

"A Tale of Another Heroes" is supposed to have a sense in english?
or it'd rather be "Another Tale of Heroes"
Old Apr 13, 2016, 06:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

If there's an official English translation that Falcom published somewhere, anywhere, I'd accept it. But I can't find one, so I don't think so.

And you're right, the phrase doesn't make any sense in English.

If "Another Tale of Heroes" is an accurate rendering of the Japanese, I'd vote we change it here and anywhere else it might crop up (the "JDK Special" disc 1 would be an obvious spot)
Old Apr 17, 2016, 05:07 PM

Edit because my brain wasn't working.

Last edited by RFGalaxy; Apr 18, 2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:59 AM

it's もうひとつの物語 with 英雄たちの to qualify 物語
英雄たちの could act like an adj-no where its meaning could be interpreted as Heroic (but because of the plural, it could kill the "heroes" intention)

(it's not rare to see that "syntax" in japanese where some people think it's always A no B no C = C of B of A)
Old Apr 18, 2016, 03:22 PM

...right. もうひとつが英雄たちの物語 is really what they're saying with the が optionally marked as の instead. Thanks, I'm sorry I missed that. My other post is therefore stupid. I missed what you said about 英雄たちの but then the plural kills the heroes intention. Did you mean to suggest that it could have been saying "Another Heroic Tale" but that the plural makes that interpretation too much of a stretch?

Anyway, I think that the best translation is "Another Tale of Heroes".
Old Jul 27, 2016, 07:30 PM

I got a reply from Naoki Kaneda on Twitter about his compositions for this game. He says he composed (I will use the same wording he used to explain certain tracks):

1. The White Witch Gueld (Naoki Kaneda comes in starting at 2:05. Atsushi Shirakawa did the intro before that)

6. WIN!!

20. LET'S START, OK?

24. GAMBLER

26. The White Witch Gueld -Locus- (MainMotif: Masaru Nakajima) *Not sure what he means by that

28. See Our Spirit -Ah, Ruthless-

30. See Our Spirit

33. A Powerful Foe!!

Disc 2:

4. Mysterious Forest

17. Appearance of the Demon Beast

18. Heavenly Ceremonial Room (He said maybe)

20. The White Witch Gueld -Precious Soul- (MainMotif: Masaru Nakajima) *Not sure what he means by that

And because I have to know all I can find out, I asked him about what he did in the unused Legend of Heroes III tracks from Falcom Special Box '96. He composed (It's the end of disc 3 in the box):

26. Little Heroes

27. Under the Sun

32. Grasslands

34. Shirla

37. Legend of Heroes III (this song sounds a lot like A Tale of Another Heroes from music from Legend of Heroes III [Disc 1: Track 2])

Until next time.

Last edited by Spirit_Chaser; Jul 27, 2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 01:41 PM

In that tweet, didn't he say Shirakawa also worked on GAMBLER?

"24(with Mr.Tenmon)" = GAMBLER

Anyway, not surprised at many of these. I still think Demon Castle is Ishikawa's work because of the Sengoku Sorcerian resemblance.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 05:18 PM

I thought it was a mistake and the he meant to put that for the opening that Atsushi Shirakawa had already revealed he had done with Naoki Kaneda.

I also believe that to be Mieko Ishikawa based on all the early Falcom soundtracks. Basically, anything with a Sorcerian/Dinosaur feel to it make me suspect it's her. I'll make a post eventually on my theories about her and what she may have composed throughout her composing career in Falcom.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 06:13 PM

Atsushi Shirakawa replied on Twitter yesterday. In this game he composed:

Disc 1:

1. The White Witch Gueld (until 2:05)
4. Little Heroes -Music Box-
10. Barrier
11. Cave
12. Sapphie
13. Afternoon on the Beach
14. Happy One Day
17. Happy Companions
18. With the Wind
19. Little Heroes -The Great Adventure of Jurio and Chris-
21. Coal Mine
22. Galga's Trace
23. Lodi
25. Poison Swamp
27. Darts
31. Before the Storm
32. The Great Battle of Volt

Disc 2:

2. Waltz
3. A Man's Lonely Journey
6. Oldos Cathedral
7. Visitor's Hymn
8. Raual
12. Gagharv's Memory
15. Remembrance -Requiem-
18. Heavenly Ceremonial Room
19. Queen Isabelle
21. Little Heroes -Beyond the Blue Sky-
26. Little Heroes -Winter's Coming-
27. Tirasweel's White Witch.

Last edited by Spirit_Chaser; Aug 8, 2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 05:45 PM

Spirit_Chaser, your great research has most of the soundtrack credited. Thank you!

But I've got to know who wrote Mountain Path! Any ideas? After having a listen to the score (the 2000 version), only that one track really stuck out--and in a big way. I love it. Listened to it like 50 times today. I like this version best.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:44 PM

You're welcome. I am surprised how much I was able to find out and how cooperative Atsushi Shirakawa (Tenmon) and Naoki Kaneda (Kim's Soundroom) have been. I even managed to get Shirakawa to participate in an interview. It was really just a simple matter of someone asking them on Twitter. There isn't really much left now unless I can get in contact with the other composers (the trail has gone cold with them unfortunately and Matsuoka has passed away)

I did a lot of digging to find Masaru Nakajima and Takahiro Tsunashoma, but nothing was found. From what I know, Takahiro Tsunashima left Falcom to become Gruppo One's lead composer. After around 2004 he disappeared following the release of Shadow Kingdom and fall of Gruppo One. Masaru Nakajima started a website and went under the alias Takeo Project. He made quite a bit of music which let up with him ultimately creating "vocaloid" music later on as his music evolved. The last thing I saw was him commenting on his Piapro profile in 2012. After that, nothing; he disappeared too. I figured they either continued to make music under different names but are not well known, quietly retired from composing, or passed away. Not even Shirakawa or Kaneda know what happened to them.

In most games during that time, Shirakawa and Kaneda were the lead composers, with what I believe usually had minor compositions by Mieko Ishikawa and sometimes Takahiro Tsunashima. As far as I know, Hirofumi Matsuoka was probably only involved with sound programming until the later 90s once he supposedly took charge of the sound team.

I always wondered what Ys VI and the Legend of Heroes VI would had been like if some of the veteran composers had stayed.

Something else I noticed is that there was a third composer who contributed a lot, and that was Masaru Nakajima. I would say he did a lot of tracks in this game, including Mountain Path (there is a song in Legend of Heroes V that is his that sounds a lot like this song). From Brandish 2 to The Legend of Heroes V, he definitely made a huge contribution with his compositions. I am even positive he did almost all the new tracks in the Super Famicom version of Popful Mail. I was also able to find a few credits here and there since Kaneda and Shirakawa mentioned him during their composition breakdowns sometimes.

I think now we have a lot of clues to help us figure out the rest. We know what Kaneda, Shirakawa, and Ishikawa sound like now. We have Ys IV credits for Nakajima and Tsunashima, and even a Legend of Heroes V breakdown for Nakajima from Shirakawa (I would include a few more tracks). We also have a lot of music by Nakajima from his work outside Falcom, and the Gruppo One games to figure out Takahiro Tsunashima. Putting all this into account will help us figure out more composition credits.
Old May 2, 2017, 01:22 PM

I'm glad that Shirakawa's taken time out of his schedule to give us credits, which I find amusing since he mentions in the Game Music Online interview Falcom's official stance on not including track credits with albums. There's just been that much time between his Falcom years and now for him to reveal as much as he remembers, lol.

Tsunashima did every Gruppo One soundtrack except the very first Wind Seekers (Grand Slam), which credits Matsuoka for BGM. We can discern Matsuoka's later style from that score, but it's more difficult to figure out what he did earlier other than presumably new tracks in Legend of Heroes Mega Drive (though I need to ask <<J>> again what his sources/speculation are for Matsuoka doing the linked BGM).

Matsuoka likely was tasked with and started two projects, those being Falcom's early console soundtracks (from Popful Mail SFC through Legend of Heroes II MD) and Sound Team jdk's MIDI Collection/Special albums. The stylistic changes heard in Legend of Heroes IV and Brandish VT indicate more involvement from Arai and perhaps Matsuoka considering Falcom had abandoned their console focus by 1996. He and Shirakawa became the most proactive/leading musicians around 1996, but we know from TENMON that Nakajima played a big role for Legend of Heroes V at least. Ishikawa's role diminished until she finally stopped making music after Sorcerian Forever (during which point she dipped into other company roles and eventually became a director at Falcom). For Arai we only have a scant couple of Ys V credits, based on his composer code included with tracks on the Ys Materials Collection 2 CD, pointing to his style. So far the real mystery is Kaname Ohara who we simply have no leads on. I really want to figure out specific credits for Revival Xanadu (2) because their soundtracks are much less bright and cheery compared to Legend of Heroes III or Ys V, which tells me Sound Team jdk had quietly adopted the brooding styles heard in Brandish III.

On another note, I've made a first-draft composer breakdown for Dinosaur PC-88 based on what I know about Masaaki Kawai (who arranged Ys III X68k and Dinosaur FM Towns since Ishikawa and TENMON were busy) and Ishikawa's tracks from Lord Monarch/Brandish/Popful Mail revealed through process of elimination. Nothing I've heard from Dinosaur resembling Kawai's style has shown up in the original Legend of Heroes, either, and I think Ishikawa alone did the first two LoH games on PC-x8.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:54 AM

Kaneda has provided a full breakdown of remaining tracks on Twitter, save for the unused ones which I'll ask about later.

Matsuoka:

We're Lions, You're Dinner!!

Shirakawa:

Another Tale of Heroes
Shirla & Goose

Ishikawa:

A Mysterious Story

Tsunashima:

Who's the Criminal?!
Oh, Defeated
Roudo Castle
Demise

Nakajima:

In the Sparkle of Love
Mountain Path
Feel So Good
Captain Thomas' Feelings
Galga's Trace (I question this one as Shirakawa had previously claimed it and it sounds more like him to me)
Sorrowful Melody
Oldos
Ghidona
Temptation of the Red Eyes
Badatt
Dream
Invasion
Durzel's Letter
In the Sparkle of Love -Ending Version-
Heroes
Old Jun 7, 2018, 02:39 PM

preta, awesome work. Thank you!

I noticed that Nakajima was still part of Falcom as of LOH3's 1999 remake. Do you think he arranged all his own tracks? Some are very differently arranged (like Mountain Path vs. Feel So Good and In the Sparkle of Love).

Last edited by Jormungand; Jun 7, 2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
preta, awesome work. Thank you!

I noticed that Nakajima was still part of Falcom as of LOH3's 1999 remake. Do you think he arranged all his own tracks? Some are very differently arranged (like Mountain Path vs. Feel So Good and In the Sparkle of Love).
I could see In the Sparkle of Love being his. The arrangement reminds me a little bit of The Pure Ones from Vantage Master, which I think could be his, but I'm far from certain about this. I really have no comment on any other tracks - I rather doubt he arranged all of his.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 06:54 PM

Great findings. Finding nearly complete credits for Brandish 2, LoH III, and Brandish 3 from the composers themselves is awesome. Got Mountain Path right.