VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:28 PM

Default Composers collaborating on a single track?

Can you think of any track(s) where composers collaborated together on it? And I don't mean one composer arranging another's composition. Off the top of my head all I can think of is Matsumae writing those 4 bars for the melody of Takashi Tateishi's "Airman Stage" and "Jungle Base" from Streets of Rage II (Yuzo Koshiro & Motohiro Kawashima).

Last edited by strugglepoo; Jul 10, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:54 PM

Hayato Matsuo and Hitoshi Sakimoto collaborated on NUTS on this: http://vgmdb.net/album/9091

I can't think of many either, it seems collaborations are unusual. They aren't at all uncommon among the composers in vgm fan communities, vgmusic/ocremix/etc.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:38 PM

The one I can think of is Shadow Heart's II - The Three Karma. Each composer has a unique section of that final battle theme. Sure, Hirota put it all together, but each composer's mark is surely heard in that track.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It's uncommon, but I wouldn't say it's super rare. Terranigma has a few, Harumi and Yasuaki Fujita did the MM3 staff roll, a lot of Racing Lagoon maybe (credits there are ambiguous), a lot of Metal Gear Solid series music is credited to multiple people, etc.

It's kind of hard for me to come up with specific examples now that I'm trying, but I know I've seen it on albums a lot.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:07 AM

Annette's Recollection (from BIOHAZARD 2) is a collaboration between Syun Nishigaki and Syusaku Uchiyama.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater also has Harry Gregson-Williams working with Norihiko Hibino and Shuichi Kobori on a few tracks (Ocelot Youth/Confrontation, Volgin the Torturer, The Sorrow/Everlasting Fight).

EDIT:
Koda & Ueda worked on Karnival (Devil May Cry)... and again, Ueda & Senbongi worked on EV-08.

I believe that Devil May Cry 2 may have had a few collaborations, too, but since there's not a composer breakdown for that, this obviously remains my opinion.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Jul 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:10 AM
VGMdb Staff

Sascha Dikiciyan and Cris Velasco have a lot of those tracks...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:34 AM

Also Onimusha 2 has two composers working together on multiple tracks, now that I think about it... So, yeah, definitely not uncommon
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:39 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Track 23 on disc 2, "Impatience" (or 焦燥 in Japanese) from Gun Hazard by both Yasunori Mitsuda and Masashi Hamauzu.

EDIT
Track 15, "Heihachi Mishima" from Tekken 3 Arcade by both sanodg and B.K.O.

There's also a few co-compositions from The Granstream Saga:
Track 18 by Takako Ochiai and Miyoko Kobayashi
Track 32 and 34 both by Masanori Hikichi and Takako Ochiai together

And let's not forget all the (supposedly) co-composed tracks on Noriko Matsueda / Takahito Eguchi albums

Last edited by Nisto; Jul 11, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:09 AM

Restless RestoRation (Stage 2) from Bike Banditz OST was composed by Namiki and Raito, their styles work fine together.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Some Unreal tracks by Alexander Brandon and Michiel van den Bos too.

>> "Sometimes we’d write different patterns and swap the MOD back and forth and sometimes we’d collaborate on the entire thing, adding bits and pieces here and there"
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
...a lot of Racing Lagoon maybe (credits there are ambiguous)...
Actually, the RL credits are pretty specific. Matsueda did the vast majority of the OST solo. The tracks with live instruments can more accurately be considered collaborations, which credit both Matsueda and Eguchi. Though Eguchi is credited for co-composition on these tracks, I suspect that his main role was arrangement.

On the other hand, credits are truly ambiguous for The Bouncer and FFX-2, although there are bits and pieces from each score that are clearly one or the other composer's work. I'd like to do a detailed write-up on these some day.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

For Racing Lagoon, I was mostly referring to those live instrument tracks that say "Music: Noriko Matsueda / Composer (and other things): Takahito Eguchi" yeah.

Is there a breakdown or something for RL, though? Aside from those eight pieces, the booklet just says "Composed & Produced by Noriko Matsueda" and "Composed & Arranged by Takahito Eguchi." I hadn't heard that Matsueda had done all the rest(?) herself.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
For Racing Lagoon, I was mostly referring to those live instrument tracks that say "Music: Noriko Matsueda / Composer (and other things): Takahito Eguchi" yeah.

Is there a breakdown or something for RL, though? Aside from those eight pieces, the booklet just says "Composed & Produced by Noriko Matsueda" and "Composed & Arranged by Takahito Eguchi." I hadn't heard that Matsueda had done all the rest(?) herself.
What you see on pages 5 and 6 of the booklet is indeed the breakdown. Only those tracks for which Eguchi is listed are the tracks he worked on.

Furthermore, if we look at Rocketbaby's interview with Matsueda regarding The Bouncer:
Quote:
Until our last project we divided the work as composer and arranger. This time we take the style of collaboration, because we try to bring out the best in each of us. Concerning The Bouncer, there are works which we made together and works which have been made separately
(emphasis mine)
So, "our last project" means Racing Lagoon. And "this time" implies that The Bouncer was the first time they took a truly collaborative style and did not "divide the work as composer and arranger".
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
Trusted Editor

Apparently all the games Masayuki Nagao worked on with Hirofumi Murasaki and Morihiko Akiyama were collaborative. Someone would come up with the idea, and then the others would extend upon that.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:11 AM

A good portion of the music of Sonic Generations was a collaborative effort. Lots of original composers working with remixers. Jun Senoue and Richard Jaqcues are a couple I can think of.