VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
See the previous reply. I didn't realize it was a soundtest tracklist when I updated, but I did update all the others, too. A sound test tracklist should not be the primary tracklist, I'm not sure why there is no regular "English" one that's translated from the Japanese. And sound test track titles shouldn't be propagated to other albums, imo.
Apparently, this soundtrack's popular enough that many people had different opinions on what the translations for the English tracklist should be and no one could agree on a tracklist, so we're using the sound test tracklist because it's the most official translation we have and there's no debating it. Otherwise we go back to endless debating. I think you're right and that any iTunes or sound test tracklists should be secondary, but I guess this was meant to be a temporary thing. Maybe we can solve it now though...?

And it's good you updated the other tracklists, at least. If we manage to get a translated tracklist up here, we can just add back the stupid second Burn! to the sound test tracklist.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:45 PM
Trusted Editor

Yeah I wasn't paying attention when I updated this one. My brain assumed that "default" + English was automatically and English track list, not a secondary type one.y bad on that. I'm not sure where the old English one went or why it was deleted.

I had noticed this when ripping the arranged album, then jus queried for the moeru title and found others suffered the same issue. All the other albums don't have a sound test so it makes sense to leave those ones alone. If you want to change this one back I understand.

Sorry for the overlook when I edited it!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:52 PM
Trusted Editor

Speaking of the endless debating, it would be nice to have a lock feature where an album can't be edited (even by trusted editors) once a few people agree its "as good as it gets". The benefit of this would be it would force people to post and elicit discussion about potential changes rather han just changing it. So instead of discussing after the fact and trying to figure out who what and when something was changed with horrible diff and possibly reverting changes and going back, we could discuss, request an unlock and then change t and have it locked again.

It would certainly be useful for extremely popular albums that have tons and tons of variations in titles over the years (like this one!)

Also sorry on the terrible spelling and grammar. iPhone's do not lend themselves to forums very well, particularly graphic expensive ones like this site ;(
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:00 PM

I think I mentioned something like that before also dancey, about going through the albums one by one with like a group of people and then locking them from new edits unless things were put in the forums noting what should be changed and then fixed by an editor.

One thing I disagree with you on is not using the English list from the sound test as a default for the English listing, there is a rule that if there is a typo, it is still added as if it was correct I assume because it came from the "source" so the sound test also comes from the "source", thus making official.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
One thing I disagree with you on is not using the English list from the sound test as a default for the English listing, there is a rule that if there is a typo, it is still added as if it was correct I assume because it came from the "source" so the sound test also comes from the "source", thus making official.
Well, that is ultimately an argument for another thread and people could post volumes on it. I don't believe a sound test interpreted tracklist should be the default for anything because this is a database for cds, not sound tests. If the media and product thing gets off the ground I think you might have a fair argument to add sound tests to the particular products, but that's a technical implementation far beyond what we're discussing here. I don't think we should be defaulting sound test titles to default cd titles or using those titles as 'official' titles for all other tracks on cds they share the track with. The same goes with western iTunes releases, etc.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
graphic expensive
Hahahahaha (sorry, had to take a poke at your iPhone grammar ).

Seriously though, I guess a lock feature could be cool. The only issue would be when it's agreed upon that an entry is done and ready to be locked. But I guess it's not a huge deal since, if someone comes up with a really good change, then it could just be unlocked anyway.

Also fearin, we're not debating keeping a sound test tracklist exactly how it is, we're debating making it the default tracklist. They should really be alternate tracklists, while an actual translation of what's in the booklets/packaging/soundtrack should be the default. I was also ninja'd by Dancey, so there ya go.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:23 PM

I actually agree with both of you on that the technical addition/merits would be heavy and that taking translations like iTunes as gospel for the English standard track list is bad, I also agree that having a well translated version of the Japanese is a good idea, and that this thread isn't the proper place to discuss such things.

My main point other than it may be semi-official, is that most people will know it, it is easily accessible and more than likely contains the English language audiences game references (town names, etc) thus making it the one they would most likely want to use and that would make it default.

However I guess if the track lists could be properly named and if you could personalize a sort order through options it wouldn't matter much.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 04:59 PM

I changed the album title to reflect the album capitalization, but I see that such an edit has been done before and already overturned, and that there's now a little bit of back and forth going on. The extent of my knowledge is that if the album title is in full capitalization on all of the material, then we would capitalize it the same way in our entry's title field. Are there exceptions to this rule?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 05:37 AM

My searching brought up few relevant results about the unreleased music--particularly, the music that was found programmed into the pre-release demo cartridge. There are two unique themes, alongside the original boss battle music composed and arranged by Noriko Matsueda, that are more or less full-length tracks (so, I'm ignoring the various fanfares and sound effects).

One is titled "Keeper's Dome" in the SPC set, and there isn't much to it because it doesn't develop fully. However, it clearly is Nobuo Uematsu's work.

The other has no title (file name "ct-b-04"), and is a solo choir piece. It's clearly Mitsuda's work.

Apologies if this has already been discussed at length.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Random question/thread necro, but where is the second "Burn!" coming from in all these Chrono Trigger tracks titled "Burn! Bobonga! Burn!". There's only one 燃えよ!.http://vgmdb.net/search?do=results&id=119946. Don't really want to go updating a "staple" soundtrack's tracklist if there's some random precedence for it, but I don't see it.
from jasrac:
*BURN! BOBONGA! BURN!
モエヨ ボボンガ
BURN BOBONGA BURN

(other tracks linked to nobuo uematsu have translations)
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:19 AM

Did this album come with a sticker? The "Contents" image shows a piece of paper with the Chrono Trigger logo on it, and I'm not sure what it is.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 03:18 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinHarmony View Post
Did this album come with a sticker? The "Contents" image shows a piece of paper with the Chrono Trigger logo on it, and I'm not sure what it is.
Yes, my copy has that sticker.