VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:08 AM

Default If Capcom were to make a Biohazard Sound Chronicle III...

I have been thinking of late about the Resident Evil series, both as a franchise and also where the series has gone musically. The sound of the series has changed much from the older games, the ones involving actual zombies anyway. Capcom, through the use of their publisher of choice Suleputer, released the games soundtracks along with two sound collections so far. It was then I got to thinking and discovered that there was quite a bit of the series' music that has never been made available. So if they were to make a "Biohazard Sound Chronicle III" what would you like to see in it?

Listed below are all the games/soundtracks that have yet to be released:

1. Resident Evil/Biohazard (PS1 and Saturn version)
2. Resident Evil/Biohazard 1.5 (PS1, if there was anything not included into RE/Bio 2)
3. Resident Evil/Biohazard Gun Survivor (PS1)
4. Resident Evil/Biohazard Outbreak File 2 (PS2)
5. Resident Evil/Biohazard Dead Aim (PS2)
6. Resident Evil/Biohazard Gaiden (Gameboy Color)
7. Resident Evil/Biohazard Revelations (3DS, I am sure we will see this one eventually)
8. Resident Evil/Biohazard Operation Raccoon City (PS3/360, not sure about this one as it's a Capcom game but it's being made by another company not of Japanese background so there's a chance we may not get this one like many non-Japanese game soundtracks)

*They could include the Pachislot and Orchestra albums in there as both of them are either old or hard to come by from the various importers on the internet. I hope the next time Capcom does one of these that they choose some interesting choices, maybe some from this list, but I guess we will have to wait and see. Thanks for reading as I am curious what everyone thinks!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I want more of the older soundtracks, too. The newer ones are a disgrace to the series; as are the games. I have nothing to complain about on your list, but for cheapness sake I'd be fine with the first 3 ones only. Until the fourth installment they really put effort into the save themes in particular, but in the later games, they either don't have any or they just fail. It's a shame, because the save themes were always my favorites.

If you're looking for Bio Hazard Orchestra Album, it can be bought at Otaku.com (new condition).
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
I want more of the older soundtracks, too. The newer ones are a disgrace to the series; as are the games. I have nothing to complain about on your list, but for cheapness sake I'd be fine with the first 3 ones only. Until the fourth installment they really put effort into the save themes in particular, but in the later games, they either don't have any or they just fail. It's a shame, because the save themes were always my favorites.

If you're looking for Bio Hazard Orchestra Album, it can be bought at Otaku.com (new condition).
I love the Resident Evil series, both as a game franchise and it's many musical compositions. I too agree with you about the series musical mishaps of late, the older soundtracks were brilliant. I felt that they really captured that signature RE sound and often complemented the dark, mysterious, and horror filled world. For example in RE 2 one could almost feel the dread of the entire game's story when accompanied by the OST, the sorrow for all the screwed up stuff happening between Umbrellla and Raccoon City's citizens. I thought that the last time the series music was truly the last of it's type was with the Outbreak games, especially with that awesome theme! I mean WOW! I also loved the save themes, can't really pick a favorite as they were all so darn good. Maybe a tie for me between RE Remakes and RE2, but honestly I love them all. I think that this change in musical direction is correlated with the change in the games, the games are less scary and more tense with music that reflects this sad change. Now the games are another story....Capcom seems to have really lost touch with the RE fanbase. Hopefully RE6 will redeem the series, but knowing Capcom of late it will under deliver. Thanks for the heads up regarding the Orchestra album!

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Dec 21, 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:50 AM

Ya know what else is a weird piece of RE music trivia I found out some time ago? I found out that the music for Resident Evil/Biohazard Dead Aim was done by Nobuyoshi Sano, of Tekken and Ridge Racer fame. If you take a listen to some of the tracks on Youtube, particularly the short and sadly awesome Dead Aim "Introduction" theme it sounds like a Namco game's soundtrack. The same can be said for the rest of the soundtrack too. I thought that it was kinda interesting so I figured I would share it, I know it surprised me.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Wow, I didn't know about this. I'm actually a Nobuyoshi Sano fan, too, so that's pretty cool. I'm a fan of the series, but that doesn't really mean I've looked into every single title in the series or something. I might check out Dead Aim now that I know sanodg worked on it.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:45 PM

If memory serves me right, Biohazard 1.5 had 3-4 tracks which didn't make it into 2, i'm afraid they're unlikely to get some kind of official release. The first Biohazard already got an official release?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:03 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The tracks on that album (BIO HAZARD SOUND TRACK REMIX) were all re-arranged and aren't the original tracks. Also, I'm not sure, but I think it may be missing some track(s), too.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:04 PM

I'm listening to the 1.5 songs and most of them made it in but were placed in different parts of the game and have different names I believe.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
The tracks on that album (BIO HAZARD SOUND TRACK REMIX) were all re-arranged and aren't the original tracks. Also, I'm not sure, but I think it may be missing some track(s), too.
I honestly didn't know about this album, thanks for mentioning it. I don't know why I never found it on here until now. The first game wasn't that long so the tracks listed on the REMIX album might be all of them. It's a shame Capcom didn't throw that into one of the boxes as the OST is quite old and out of print. The music is still good too even when compared to the Remake on the Gamecube.

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Dec 22, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivalice Alliance View Post
I'm listening to the 1.5 songs and most of them made it in but were placed in different parts of the game and have different names I believe.
Slightly off topic, but RE/Bio 1.5 is a very interesting/mysterious game that many claim even exists anymore. Supposedly the only original "demo" or "early copy" of the game is either owned by an un-named Capcom employee or by a lucky fan, there are many stories on the internet about the existence of it physically anyways. It's a shame they threw out the female character Elza Walker as she would be replaced by Claire Redfield in the retail version of 2. I think that it would be cool if they tried to make her a real character in one of the games, change her hair if they want to, keep her outfit, and there ya go new character created. She kinda reminds me of a female version of Chuck Green from Dead Rising 2.

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Dec 22, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamtraveler View Post
Slightly off topic, but RE/Bio 1.5 is a very interesting/mysterious game that many claim even exists anymore. Supposedly the only original "demo" or "early copy" of the game is either owned by an un-named Capcom employee or by a lucky fan, there are many stories on the internet about the existence of it physically anyways. It's a shame they threw out the female character Elza Walker as she would be replaced by Claire Redfield in the retail version of 2. I think that it would be cool if they tried to make her a real character in one of the games, change her hair if they want to, keep her outfit, and there ya go new character created. She kinda reminds me of a female version of Chuck Green from Dead Rising 2.
I often watch the videos on youtube with all the footage of 1.5. I remember reading up on the game back in the 90's I miss 1997 and 1998 so much.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivalice Alliance View Post
I often watch the videos on youtube with all the footage of 1.5. I remember reading up on the game back in the 90's I miss 1997 and 1998 so much.
Me too man! The 90's were home to some of the best games in the industry! I want the 90's back so bad most of the time!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:08 PM

Actually, the tracks on the remix album of Biohazard ARE the orignal PS/Saturn tracks. They just have some sound effects and voice overs added in. But the music is the same. Well... Except for the "Moonlight Sonata" track. They added in some nice string accompaniment to the piano.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:11 AM

Would anyone care to elaborate more on this Bio Hazard Remix album? Specifically about the sound effects/cut scene voices played during some tracks? I just want to know that if I can find a copy of it one of these days that I am buying an OST, not game cut-scenes with the music over it. If the sound effects don't really get in the way of the music then fine by me. The album interests me quite a bit, to the point where I actually want a physical copy of it in my collection. I think that while the Gamecube Remake OST, that was bundled with the Biohazard Sound Chronicle was awesome, it would be cool to have the original not just for novelty's sake but to compare them. I have listened to some of the CD on Youtube and it still sounds pretty cool after all these years, brings back memories. Classic Resident Evil/Biohazard where are you?

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jan 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 05:59 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The voices becomes a bit much for some of the tracks, but on, for example, "The One Who Survives", there's only a couple of seconds of voice in the beginning, which I'm glad about, because it's a beautiful track otherwise. I agree that the Gamecube remake was also quite awesome (the game is also one of the best game remakes that has ever been made...), but I personally think it's worth buying, for the sake of having both renditions of my favorite songs, and ofcourse because I love the series.

Also, they replaced the awesomeness that is "Still Dawn", on the remake soundtrack. So you'd miss out.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
The voices becomes a bit much for some of the tracks, but on, for example, "The One Who Survives", there's only a couple of seconds of voice in the beginning, which I'm glad about, because it's a beautiful track otherwise. I agree that the Gamecube remake was also quite awesome (the game is also one of the best game remakes that has ever been made...), but I personally think it's worth buying, for the sake of having both renditions of my favorite songs, and ofcourse because I love the series.

Also, they replaced the awesomeness that is "Still Dawn", on the remake soundtrack. So you'd miss out.
Thanks for telling me more about the album Nisto, I think that I am going to track down a copy of it when I can. I love the Resident Evil/Biohazard series quite a bit, as I have stated through numerous posts/messages, from both a game and musical perspective. From the sound of it, the sound effects thing doesn't seem so bad either. This album is probably the only way of really getting as complete of an OST for the original game a fan can get. I doubt that Capcom would actually re-release a "real" OST for this without the background noises heard on this CD, but I would love to see what they would include if they did make another Chronicle collection. I also gave a listen to the two tracks that you mentioned through Youtube, and I agree with you on your statement about them. The ending track "Still Dawn" is well....still GREAT!

Now there is another RE/Bio 1 soundtrack called "Bio Hazard Symphony Op. 91 Crime and Punishment", essentially the soundtrack to the Director's Cut version. I am still thinking about that one, I have listened to it in addition to reading Square-Enix Online's review, and really don't know if I want that one as much as the others. It is from Resident Evil so I could almost twist my arm and say that I would like to have it, but there are only a couple of tracks that I like off of it. Most of them are really short too. This CD, like the Remix, goes for high prices and out of the two I think that the Remix is the better buy. If I can find it at a respectible price then I might re-consider, but no where near the amount that I would pay for the others.

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jan 3, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:14 AM

I would like the opinion from those that have the "Bio Hazard Symphony Crime and Punishment" album or have heard it somehow. If one could buy this album for around $30-40 USD, which is what I list it for on my wish list, is this album worth it? Or would you consider this release a waste of money? Most of the tracks on this album are either short or a little weak, from what I have heard/read, when compared to the other soundtracks in this series. Although there are "some" good to decent musical tracks on the album despite their length. I am a huge fan of the series and thought that it might be a cool novelty item to have as it is an interesting album. I don't see Capcom bundling this into a Sound Chonicle in the future as I see it being a take it or leave it kind of item. Can anyone speak on the album's worth for those that have it? I greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jan 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:07 AM
VGMdb Advisor

If it were me, I'd buy it solely for the sound effects; I always loved the sound effects of the Biohazard series. Even the save theme (if I'm not mistaken, it's the track called "Soave". I have actually not played the game, so I don't know...) is only mediocre at best... for being a Biohazard soundtrack at least. I think putting Mamoru Samuragouchi on a Biohazard project was a mistake. But ofcourse, you may think differently.

Last edited by Nisto; Jan 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
If it were me, I'd buy it solely for the sound effects; I always loved the sound effects of the Biohazard series. Even the save theme (if I'm not mistaken, it's the track called "Soave". I have actually not played the game, so I don't know...) is only mediocre at best... for being a Biohazard soundtrack at least. I think putting Mamoru Samuragouchi on a Biohazard project was a mistake. But of course, you may think differently.
Yeah I agree with you about this album, it's all over the place in terms of composition and quality. Most of the tracks are almost criminally short, with the few good ones begging for extended versions. The tracks I like are songs like "Queitamente", "Soave", "Placido", "Flebile", "Grave" and a couple others. Other than these few tracks, the others are practically a waste of the disc which is a shame. I wonder why Capcom would produce such a lackluster album, especially for a well known franchise like Biohazard/RE. Mamoru composed for the "Biohazard Orchestra Album" which I thought was brilliant, strangely not this one though. Both of us love the Save Themes for this series, and I agree that "Soave" is weak compared to the others. Biohazard/RE Code Veronica Save Theme this isn't.

I am finding that this album is really hard to like, no matter how hard I try to make myself. I just don't know if it's worth it, from a musical prospective anyways. I think that I still feel that the "Bio Hazard Sound Track Remix" and the "Biohazard 2 Complete" are better albums for me to track down. The only thing I am still contemplating is if these "few" tracks are worth it against all those other lesser tracks. Gotta think about this one some more I suppose.

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jan 18, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:18 PM

Does anyone know if there were any bootlegs made/released of the "Resident Evil Sound Track Remix", meaning for the western release brought out by Viz Music? The only reason I ask is because I am really trying to find a copy of this sound track, either the Japanese or the western version as they are the same, in new or used/mint condition for a respectable price. I have seen this offered for 100+ and I just can't reason with myself to pay that kind of price for it, somewhere around the $50-$70 kind of range. I have spotted a copy of it floating around and wasn't sure if it was real or not. The database doesn't have any listings of one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I believe it was on Ebay? I punched in the UPC and it is linked to a bunch of strange websites I don't know/trust. Also the seller says that it is brought out/distributed by this company called Allegro? I have never heard of them and thought that for the US release was brought out by Viz Music? They are selling it for $73.00 USD and states that the item is in great condition from the discs to the case/inserts. The album's release day was listed as "2000" which doesn't make any sense either as the official CD on here is listed as "1998". Something about this Ebay listing seems very wrong in a lot of ways, the same CD can be found on Amazon.com as well so buyer beware I suppose. Either this is real or real fake....knowing my luck with these things it's the second choice. It is also a very expensive bootleg too. If fake, at least someone can add it to the database.

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jan 21, 2012 at 08:01 PM.