VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 3, 2011, 03:03 PM

I'm pretty sure this one doesn't belong here, otherwise we'd get a surplus of every one of Elfman's works.

EDIT: Great release, nonetheless.

Last edited by PsychoZeke; Dec 3, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 03:08 PM

Whoops, sorry about that. I've noticed a while ago that this was missing from the label's discography and thought it would fit since it's related to an animation product. I'll wait to upload more scans, then.

EDIT:
The only sign of Elfman's presence on here is the Main Theme, I believe a great deal of the score was composed by Walker.

Product's page at Label's website (Out of Print)

The last part of track 2.17's title ended up becoming track 18, thus making disc two 36 tracks when it's really comprised of 35 (length issue, i suppose). If you want to keep this in the DB i'll add the scans, if not... no big deal.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Dec 3, 2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 03:20 PM

It is not very proper to add this if it is not related to nothing at all.
Usually it must be or game or anime related......
not even kenji kawai or other composers here have in their list the Live action soundtracks ...
Old Dec 3, 2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanticScent View Post
It is not very proper to add this if it is not related to nothing at all.
Usually it must be or game or anime related......
not even kenji kawai or other composers here have in their list the Live action soundtracks ...
This not related to a live action thing, but an animated series: the album's title pretty much makes that instantly known

Look it up@Wikipedia

Last edited by ilef; Dec 3, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 04:07 PM

Were there more Batman game-related soundtracks out there that used Elfman's theme one way or another, this would certainly be a shoe-in for an entry. But given such isn't the case...

Either way, it's a great release, and I'm certainly glad that it sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
[...]

EDIT:
The only sign of Elfman's presence on here is the Main Theme, I believe a great deal of the score was composed by Walker.

[...]
Shirley was incredible. The DCAU wouldn't be what it is musically if it weren't for her work. She molded Elfman's theme with utmost elegance.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:38 PM

As far as i know, no, there weren't officially released soundtracks which had Elfman's Theme on them.... The only game-related release which i'm aware of, apart from the two next-gen titles, is this: Sega Multimedia Studio - Music from the Sega CD Games: Jurassic Park, Batman Returns, but i can't tell if that has Elfman's work in some form. Also, if i might offer a small opinion: i believe that this entry currently qualifies as shoe-in, maybe in the future VGMdb will want to further expand its coverage... After all it's been covering western games' soundtracks for a while, right? Maybe western animation will eventually find its place here, too.

Anyway, i'd like to offer my apologises, i understand that this kind of stuff is still in somewhat of a grey zone for VGMdb. Maybe you'd prefer a text-entry in the label's discography page? I guess this would help a lot, too, someone which doesn't know about it might end up wondering if the missing catalogues are related to game/animation/...

I'm not too fond of Walker's work, personally, mainly bought this for childood memories extravaganza... She knew how to write effective music, that's for sure, but her style's not my cup of tea. I'm sad that they didn't come with a Volume II of this, if i remember correctly it was originally planned, but Warner Bros. basically didn't think it was worth the effort, or didn't want more of the music to get released.

EDIT:
Composition credits come from the back cover.

Last edited by ilef; Dec 4, 2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added composition credits' source.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 02:04 AM

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that CD. The score for Batman Returns was done by Elfman, so this is certainly admissible. Regardless, Secret Squirrel had already approved it, I believe.

And yeah, I agree that perhaps soundtracks from western animated series could be added to the database in a near future, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

EDIT: I think you're free to add the scans if you'd like to at any time.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 02:25 AM

Uploaded scans, I believe they're free to delete them along with the whole entry, if they want. About the Batman Returns scores: The movie one was composed by Elfman, the one to the Sega CD port of the game was composed by Spencer Nilsen.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
[...] About the Batman Returns scores: The movie one was composed by Elfman, the one to the Sega CD port of the game was composed by Spencer Nilsen.
Well, of course...
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:02 AM

Volumes 1 and 2 are available on iTunes, each disc is sold as an individual volume. So we can put them up soon.

Vol. 1 CD = Vol. 1 and 2 digital
Vol. 2 CD = Vol. 3-6 digital

Either way, I caught this back when it aired first-run, I was hooked. This series deserves an encore run on Toonami. Bar none, BEST. SUPERHERO. CARTOON. EVER.

I am extremely knowledgable on ALL THINGS Ys and LUNAR. If you have a question about either series, ASK AWAY! I will answer it to the best of my ability!