VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:21 PM

so when an album is limited to 10000, that isn't Limited Edition?

Last edited by Phonograph; Feb 10, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It's valid to mark it as 'limited edition'. Other albums like the Evangelion S² Works were handled the same way.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:37 PM

We select "Limited Edition" not when that album is limited run, but when there is a confirmed alternative printing (e.g. if a regular edition is published).
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:45 PM

sorry I don't understand that logic
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:49 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Oh, in this case I guess it's valid to remove the "limited edition" for all the albums in the database that are marked as such even though there is no regular version of them, right?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
sorry I don't understand that logic
This is something about which I once raised a discussion, and as far as I know, we've been basically consistent in submitting this type of releases, but sorry if there might be more isolated "Limited Edition" albums than I thought and I should also have explained my rationale before my edit like I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidBeast View Post
Oh, in this case I guess it's valid to remove the "limited edition" for all the albums in the database that are marked as such even though there is no regular version of them, right?
I think the most important thing is to uniform submissions, so I for one think the tags should be removed, but perhaps we should establish a consensus before if some members still disagree with this (depending on that, we rather add the Limited Edition tags to many limited run albums).
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:17 PM

it could be a problem for albums like bleach best of albums etc.
because it's clearly limited editions without regular editions

EDIT: I also noticed some albums which can't enter in that Limited Edition category, Limited but without the Edition part (sorry I noticed an album some days ago, don't remember in order to illustrate what I mean)

Last edited by Phonograph; Feb 10, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
it could be a problem for albums like ffxii ost or bleach best of albums etc
because it's clearly limited editions
I know nothing about anime Bleach, but as for FFXII, we confirmed that a small number of regular editions in the different packaging was released, so I think it's legit to call one of them as "Limited Edition". If bonus items (extra disc, extra track, luxurious packages, etc.) was supposed to be exclusive to the initial print but ended up being common to all the albums ever released, then I think it's difficult to consider it as "Limited Edition".

Also, some record companies tend to use the "Limited Edition (限定盤)" term to refer to "Limited Run (限定生産盤)", and I don't think it's logical to select "Limited Edition" just because of their somewhat misleading label. This album is also limited run, but I don't think it should be called as such.

Again, I'm sorry if you never heard about this policy before, and we're not so consistent as I expected. I guess we should resume the discussion in the feature.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Albums with limited runs shouldn't be marked as limited edition (key word being "edition"), since that's mostly used to differentiate them from regular editions.

What we need is a new field (print run, perhaps) to denote the number of copies produced.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Also, some record companies tend to use the "Limited Edition (限定盤)" term to refer to "Limited Run (限定生産盤)"
have you examples?
because, afaik, when it's limited run it's always labelled 限定生産盤 (maybe not clearly on albums but certainly on obi and definitely in shops)

Last edited by Phonograph; Feb 10, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post

What we need is a new field (print run, perhaps) to denote the number of copies produced.
I wanted to ask about that, but a field you sure can't mistake with "Limited Edition"
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
have you examples?
because, afaik, when it's limited run it's always labelled 限定生産盤 (maybe not clearly on albums but certainly on obi and in shops)
Wouldn't this very entry be just it? On the official site or everywhere else, it's called as "(完全)限定盤", not "限定生産盤".

Quote:
it's maybe just me, but who really ever read policy, rules or other stuff like that?
pardon me if it sounds rude, but it's not in my character to waste my time to read about things too long to read (fortunately some posts have colors )
Yeah, good point. When I was new to VGMdb, I started to read the past threads and check other submissions to know what's right and what's not, and I often feel what's discussed in one thread affects our subsequent submissions, but I guess it's our task to put those sporadic consensus together into solid guidelines for those who don't frequent forums.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't this very entry be just it? On the official site or everywhere else, it's called as "(完全)限定盤", not "限定生産盤".
(actually I was speaking about any album, not this one in particular)

everywhere else?
sorry but neowing, joshinweb, jbook, getchu, geo-online, etc have [10000セット限定生産] on their page (use those keywords in google 決戦CD匣 セット限定生産 to check)
rakuten mustn't have that one iirc

Quote:
Yeah, good point. When I was new to VGMdb, I started to read the past threads and check other submissions to know what's right and what's not, and I often feel what's discussed in one thread affects our subsequent submissions, but I guess it's our task to put those sporadic consensus together into solid guidelines for those who don't frequent forums.
actually, the only real help or guidelines (call that as you want) I find useful is the help you have when you submit an album (at the right of fields)
because it guides you if you're unsure about something (for limited edition etc., I must say I've never really bothered myself reading about it, maybe because, till now, I was using it as I felt -if the release has 限定, Limited Edition is like the most convenient category to use)
and I forgot to specify but if people (and especially me ) must start searching for specific topics about "how to", it's maybe faster to give up (sort of laziness, I guess)
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:57 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I guess we need to do a better job of transferring knowledge from the threads into the guidelines. Currently, the guide for Limited Edition says:
Quote:
Limited Edition

Limited edition counterpart of a commercial release, usually with alternate packaging or extra content.
I'll add this
Quote:
Limited edition albums also have a Regular edition that is usually cheaper and has a wider print run. Albums that are just limited to a set number of copies are not considered Limited Edition.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:11 PM

actually, I have an idea (draft)

why not directly putting the japanese words in the guideline, that'd be simpler
if the album has:
初回生産限定盤 -> nothing
初回限定盤 -> "Limited Edition"
限定版 -> "Limited Edition"

correct?

or you put the japanese words in the selection, and the script interprets it

Last edited by Phonograph; Feb 12, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 07:47 AM
VGMdb Advisor

As I undertand, the problem is none of these words are used consistently, so we can't really use them directly.
This is how I see it (somebody correct mistakes please).

First about "editions" / 限定版.
- An album is a 'regular edition' by default.
- If, along a 'regular edition', a special pack exists (album + dvds, figures, different case, etc) that's a 'limited edition' (compared with the normal one) -> marked as "Limited Edition" here.
- If only the 'pack' version exists, it's really the 'only edition' (not marked here, even if sites call it 限定版)

Then we have "limited" runs / 限定生産:
- Many albums are 'limited' by default in that there are few copies/sold for a limited time (ex.- promos, NMH2 with <1000 copies). We don't call them "limited edition" (we know promos are limited anyway).
- Some albums are labelled "limited edition/限定版/初回生産限定盤/etc", but they are just "limited". Remember this can be just a marketing trick.
(this album has a "limited run" of 10000, but doesn't have several "editions", so it's not marked as "limited edition")

A solution to record the second case would be a field with the print run, Gigablah proposed.

Maybe that makes it clearer (though even I get this wrong and there still are inconsistencies in the db).