VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 5, 2010, 01:07 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Where's the composer's breakdown from ?
I don't see any on the booklet.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 05:27 PM

I know the credits didn't come from this, but during the sound panel at Blizzcon 2010 each of the five composers was asked about their own favorite contribution to Cataclysm. I'm not at all familiar with WoW music post-vanilla, but I know that Cataclysm had a very large soundtrack as per Brower's remarks during the sound panel. That said, it's pretty obvious this album is quite incomplete. So that "favorites" question might not be too helpful. Stafford couldn't even remember what he titled his favorite composition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XP_ZcHN6tU
Old Dec 5, 2010, 07:41 PM

I am the one that posted the composer breakdown.

I was not at the panel; however, I did rip the music from the sound.MPQ. Fortunately, the MP3 tag contains the name of the composer who did each track. So, for all of the tracks that were not mentioned in the attached Original Sound Version's article, I did some detective work.

If you wish, I could post the name of the tracks from the rip so that you could verify it yourself.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:58 PM

Well, Brower noted that all tracks on the album are several tracks combined into one, so it's likely that multiple composers are responsible for given tracks. I'll be sure to ask him, and he's generally willing to share to ensure the information is correct.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehex View Post
If you wish, I could post the name of the tracks from the rip so that you could verify it yourself.
Actually, that'd be awesome. I'd like to know how many tracks Stafford did?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:48 AM

Composer credits updated from audio director Russell Brower. He was surprised by how accurate the existing list was. He noted that he and Neal Acree worked on tracks 6 and 9, and that Derek Duke worked on track 4. Also, Derek Duke and Jason Hayes's themes are featured in track 1.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
Composer credits updated from audio director Russell Brower. He was surprised by how accurate the existing list was. He noted that he and Neal Acree worked on tracks 6 and 9, and that Derek Duke worked on track 4. Also, Derek Duke and Jason Hayes's themes are featured in track 1.
I am shocked that I got so much right. This was my first time doing something like this: of course, I was aided by the MP3 tags, but still.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 09:12 AM
VGMdb Staff

The arranger credits for Alexander and Kouneva came from the game's end credits. Philip Klein lists himself as an orchestrator for this game on his website. He's worked under Penka Kouneva several times before as an assistant orchestrator so it makes sense.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 01:37 AM

https://isrcsearch.ifpi.org/ credits 3 tracks differently:

Russell Brower; Derek Duke; Glenn Stafford; Neal Acree; David Arkenstone - The Shattering
Russell Brower; David Arkenstone - Reforged
Neal Acree; Glenn Stafford - Defenders of Azeroth

Credits by ASCAP/BMI:

David Arkenstone: 14-15
David Arkenstone, Derek Duke: 4
David Arkenstone, Russell Brower, Jason Hayes: 6
Derek Duke: 5, 13
Glenn Stafford: 3
Neal Acree: 2, 10, 17
Neal Acree, Jason Hayes, Glenn Stafford: 9
Russell Brower: 7-8, 11-12, 16
Russell Brower, Derek Duke, Jason Hayes, Glenn Stafford: 1

Last edited by Darkloke; Jun 16, 2020 at 11:55 PM.