VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:48 PM

I love this game. I went through the PAL GC version (where you can only get 99.8% of completion) and I am now playing the JAP PS2 version. It's not Gran Turismo but offers some fun racing experience with existing cars. It's kind of easy so make sure you use hard mode.

Now I have to say if there's one problem with this game, it's the soundtrack. It sucks. This is one OST I was not looking forward to! Very generic electro/dance/house with no soul and no catchy melody. And judging by the track lengths, they looped some tracks to hell to justify 2 CDs, where in fact 1 would be more than enough.

What do you guys think?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:23 PM
Trusted Editor

I don't think it sucks, it's just not as memorable as other Bandai Namco stuff. (IMO)
Old Dec 9, 2014, 06:06 PM

We just need a "Rage Racer" OST and mix now...(on a PHYSICAL disc)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:22 PM

I find all the Ridge racer discs to be just generic electro dance. There are too many composers to make a solid product. I was just looking for Nanakishi and Koboyashi tracks but the later barely has a minute entry on every release.

No game soundtracks deserves loops.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 08:35 PM

There's Liquid Soul, which I really like. Nice, mellow house track. Other than that, nothing too memorable. Generally I find the music in RR series is sometimes too repetitive, but there are some really great tracks there, too. Ridge Racer Type 4 is my favorite as a whole, almost every track is good or great. I wonder why they waited this long to release the soundtrack, though?
Old May 1, 2015, 12:14 AM

RR4 & 5 are fantastic in my opinion. Very stylish and cutting-edge. But agree many later entries didn't always benefit from collaborative approach.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:19 PM

I wouldn't consider this collaborative since it's all Namco based. SCV ost was a collaborative effort. Then most of the franchises as of late have been doing that. Fire Emblem Awakening hired outside sources. Metroid Other M. but that was a sole composer.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalgenius12 View Post
I find all the Ridge racer discs to be just generic electro dance. There are too many composers to make a solid product. I was just looking for Nanakishi and Koboyashi tracks but the later barely has a minute entry on every release.

No game soundtracks deserves loops.
Almost seven years later but if you find them generic then why are they in your collection?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 08:16 PM

Because i never know what I'm going to find. I never played the games. All my collections, I have obtained and years after trying, I open my ear to something pleasing. Quite glad that I do have them and wouldn't get rid of them.

This database has opened up new worlds for me. All art can be misunderstood at the begining, but then it wouldn't be art if it explainable.

Now that I looked back here, actually this isn't in my collection. All the other RR, Ace and Soul series are. So I wonder now, do you own it and what did you like from it?

Last edited by universalgenius12; Dec 11, 2021 at 08:18 PM.