VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 8, 2010, 05:26 PM

Default Same content, different retailer (digital releases)

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before. I just added the Heavy Rain soundtrack to my collection since I bought it on PSN, but that particular VGMdb entry is for the iTunes release according to the Notes section. I was about to change the notes to read iTunes and PSN digital release when I thought of something. Even though both release share the same content (I verified), should the PSN release be added as a child album to the iTunes one?

Has this ever come up before with digital releases? Technically it's the same "print" but it's being sold by a different retailer. In fact, a couple of the tracks from the PSN release actually have iTunes 8.2.1 in the "Encoded by" meta field. I realize this wouldn't make any sense if we were talking about a physical release (Amazon.com and your local CD store selling the same print of a CD, for example) but I think it's a little tricky with these digital "prints."

If you're on the side for lumping the PSN and iTunes release into one album entry, then what would we do if (just an example) the PSN release contained a bonus track? Definitely split them up, right?

Yet another reason why I hate digital releases. If they would just release these on CD instead, none of this would happen.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:16 AM
VGMdb Administrator

This is one of several problems with digital releases. We'll ultimately need to find a good way to deal with these, because the percentage of digital releases is only going to increase.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 06:41 AM

Once single tracks could get their own (original/arranged) ID digital releases could be assembled using those IDs, making it also easier to look up which tracks were reused in what digital and (if any) physical releases.