VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

A recent edit added these names to the performer list: KOKIA, Frances Maya, Shootie HG, Joelle.

We need more information about these, primarily: which track did each of them perform, and what was their role. It probably makes sense to wait a few days for the album release so that we can get the full credits from the book.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:41 PM

official site has credits (for non-? tracks, of course)
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:04 PM

The same edit was already made for the regular edition.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:05 PM

Don't miss:
FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 オリジナル・サウンドトラック Mitsuto Suzuki Balearic Mix
2011.12.13(Tue)  22:00 On Air (Japan time)
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:37 PM
Trusted Editor

Hmm, I never expected to hear KOKIA on a Final Fantasy soundtrack. I just hope that she provides more than just chorus.

And could someone probably capture the stream that Alcahest posted?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:53 PM

She seems to be singing an actual song in the sample on the OST website.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:08 PM
VGMdb Advisor

She is singing in both versions of Noel's Theme, just humming in the first but the second has lyrics. I was so happy when I saw her name on the website!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:09 PM

A couple questions:

1. When were the ? tracks (all but the last one on disc 4) revealed?

2. How come one album only has an English tracklist and one album only has a Japanese tracklist (Regular vs. Limited Edition, or vice versa, can't remember)?

3. How accurate is the English translation? The only reason I ask is that One of my Japanese friends translated the title for Noel's Theme ~The Last Travel~ for me (before the English tracklist was made on this site) and she translated it as "Noel's Theme ~The Last (or Final) Journey~. It does sound better with the latter, rather than the former.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor

1. It's sad but the soundtrack leaked this week-end so the final tracklist is now fully revealed. I wonder why the very last track has no name, though.

2. Well, it's only because no one added the two tracklists to both entries. I guess all of this is a bit temporary, as an official English tracklist can probably be expected given SQEX Music's recent release history (FFXIII, Nier) and given the soundtrack will be included in US and EU collector's editions.

3. From what I can see, the tracklist is quite accurate although I changed one title ("Worlds Collide" instead of "World in Conflict" because it's a line from the lyrics). In-game names such as Caius, Yeul, New Bodhum, Augusta or Academia are accurate as well. However, as I said before, we can expect an official English tracklist later. Maybe it's included in the Japanese booklet, as it happened with FFXIII.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the update. Perhaps the last track title will be revealed in due time, as was the case with the bonus tracks for Type-0.

My copy won't arrive until next week with 7th Dragon 2020 and Bullet Soul soundtracks, but I presume A World without a Goddess is the final battle theme. I imagine that's why it was one of the ? tracks, but stranger things have happened.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:53 PM

to me, (cd4) tr11 is the last dungeon and tr12/13 are for the last bosses (there are generally several bosses at the final battle -no idea if it's true for ffxii/xiii/type-0)
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:54 PM
VGMdb Advisor

On the official website they still keep a few tracks under cover, even on disc 2, for spoiler reasons I can imagine, but I'm a bit surprised when I check the names of the hidden tracks because they are not necessarily spoilerish. However, I can tell you none of the tracks you mention are the final battle theme
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:57 PM

My only other guess for that is Eternal Paradox. Definitely intrigued though.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:09 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
3. How accurate is the English translation? The only reason I ask is that One of my Japanese friends translated the title for Noel's Theme ~The Last Travel~ for me (before the English tracklist was made on this site) and she translated it as "Noel's Theme ~The Last (or Final) Journey~. It does sound better with the latter, rather than the former.
I'm curious why you'd choose the latter, nuance? Not being a native speaker these things fly over my head. The Japanese name isn't so specific.

Also, some names are different in the US version (ex.- tr3.09 Xanadu > Serendipity, 3.06 Pudding > Flan).
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:15 PM

While travel can be used as a noun as well, I find it less commonly used as a noun (unless it's pluralized to travels), while I find journey more aesthetically pleasing (because I'm used to it being used to describe an act of travel). Either works, but to me, the latter just "flows" better, in my opinion. Obviously, the official English track list will be used. If it is Travel, I can definitely understand why. The game, dealing with time travel, makes more sense as "travel" rather than "journey."

I just thought it was interesting that my Japanese friend chose Journey rather than Travel. I should ask her why she chose that particular translation, rather than travel, when describing the track title to me.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:16 PM

bah actually I wanted to use Flan (but the track itself looked quite strange, without adding more alliterations ;p)

I tend to think final can be something lethal, unlike last (but it's maybe just me)
and I find Travel is cuter than Journey =)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:18 AM

Just thought of something. Perhaps the last track on the CD is still ? because it is used for a secret ending after the credits and the title will eventually be revealed a month or so after release.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:28 PM

they cropped last hunter....final fantasy Xiii-2 Ost plus?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:29 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Yeah, I was so disappointed when I heard the new version. "Last Hunter Long Version" please!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:23 PM

Now the question is: When are the inevitable FFXIII-2 OST PLUS and FFXIII-2 Piano Collections due out?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:00 PM

I like 13's OST (the game not so much lol) but weather or not I like this will depend on how much rap/hip hop ends up being infused into the tracks as I am not a fan of either. The game is kind of take it or leave it for me, given how I feel about 13 I am not sure, the overall story seems weaker and a bit thrown together but the gameplay seems improved. I really wish S-E would put out games like they use to with Chrono Cross and Xenogears.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:11 PM

Soundtrack is okay so far and I've heard about 3/4's of it... not better than 13's. Not even close. Rating this about a 3/5.

lol @ the song "Limit Break"
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBanditking View Post
I really wish S-E would put out games like they use to with Chrono Cross and Xenogears.
I dislike that you singled these two out, because they're the biggest examples of how ridiculous late '90s Square was. Frankly, I prefer having a Square Enix than not having a Square at all.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Comparing this whole new and completely different soundtrack with 13's is pointless.

So, the official website has been updated with the full tracklist but the last track of disc 4 is still secret. I guess they are going to unveil the details at a later date then, just like Type-0. It seems it's composed by Mitsuto Suzuki, though.

Official website still lacks some arranger credits. Lightning's Theme has been arranged by Suzuki, for example.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:54 AM

"Crazy Chocobo" is the best song on this OST. A true FF classic.

Also good to see some new Personal style battle themes.

Last edited by Andrew Evenstar; Dec 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:56 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Evenstar View Post
yeah completely pointless... the game is a direct sequel and is composed about a 1/3 by Hamauzu. Anyways, you enjoying "Crazy Chocobo"?
I sure am, damn brilliant track. Can't wait to hear rest of the stuff, quick sampling on the soundtrack site shows that the album will be interesting if nothing else.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:41 PM

So did Uematsu actually compose anything for this, or is he only credited because of the Chocobo track?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
I dislike that you singled these two out, because they're the biggest examples of how ridiculous late '90s Square was. Frankly, I prefer having a Square Enix than not having a Square at all.
Actually, he singled out 2 of the 4 greatest Square RPGs ever. What's so ridiculous? It's true: Square doesn't make great games with great stories like they used to. Most of their senior talent jumped ship; the only truly talented directors left are Hiromichi Tanaka (who has been forcefully shamed because his boss ordered FFXIV to be released incomplete just to beat WoW:Cataclysm out the door) and Takashi Tokita who has been relegated to portable systems.

I'd rather have a Square that makes good games than whatever it is now. Monolith Soft has them beat by a mile.

Anyway, on topic, I'm waiting on my copy, and I'm pretty excited even though Hamauzu's role is limited. The samples I heard from Mizuta are amazing, totally unexpected. He's come a looooong way from PE2 and FFXI. In general the style of the album seems pretty energetic. It sounds like a more modern, edgier NiGHTS.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
So did Uematsu actually compose anything for this, or is he only credited because of the Chocobo track?
Nobuo Uematsu did nothing for this album. He was only credited for the Chocobo tracks (since he's the original composer). But I wonder why he wasn't credited for FFXIII's Chocobo themes..
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_addict View Post
Nobuo Uematsu did nothing for this album. He was only credited for the Chocobo tracks (since he's the original composer). But I wonder why he wasn't credited for FFXIII's Chocobo themes..
Really, I think it was to be able to say all music composed by Hamauzu, although that doesn't make much sense unless Hamauzu lobbied for it himself, since, from a business standpoint, Uematsu's name is obviously the bigger draw and many other soundtracks have said "composed and arranged by [one person]" when there were other contributors or advertising that makes it seem like one person did much more than they really did. Since this soundtrack has multiple composers no reason not to throw Uematsu's name in.