VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 20, 2024, 06:55 AM

Default vgmdb.info encountering Cloudflare protection page

Good morning!
A long time ago, I built vgmdb.info as a tool to help organize my music collection, by providing API access to vgmdb.net's incredible library of music metadata. My organization project finished, and I left the site up for other people to enjoy over the years. I am sincerely grateful for vgmdb.net's patience with this unofficial project
However, vgmdb.info was written 11 years ago, in Python 2, and I'm not excited about maintaining it. Are there any plans to provide an official API, and then I can retire vgmdb.info?
Until then: It seems that vgmdb.info has recently started being blocked by vgmdb.net's Cloudflare bot protection page. Do you know if vgmdb.info can do anything to get past this page?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 06:52 AM

This would be great as I am trying to create an application using the vgmdb.info interface but it is unfortunately inconsistent at the moment. Hope they can help with this!
Old Mar 24, 2024, 06:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Hey, guys. So yeah, you have noticed that recently we had to tighten things down due to the number of malicious bots and scrapers that were causing some performance problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufman View Post
Until then: It seems that vgmdb.info has recently started being blocked by vgmdb.net's Cloudflare bot protection page. Do you know if vgmdb.info can do anything to get past this page?
We have some bots that are working. I think the key is to make sure that it is following all the proper steps, particularly specifying a valid user agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufman View Post
However, vgmdb.info was written 11 years ago, in Python 2, and I'm not excited about maintaining it. Are there any plans to provide an official API, and then I can retire vgmdb.info?
We have considered doing this in the past, and I think we even performed some design, but it isn't in the direct plan for this year. Possibly in the near future though.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 07:17 AM

Thank you for the response! I appreciate the difficulty of running a popular site
You did help me find a bug in my code, and now it should be properly sending a custom user agent. Hopefully Cloudflare forgives it and lets it through soon!
Old Yesterday, 04:49 AM

I've been using Tag&Rename to fetch album information for a few years, now, and it has also been running into an error, recently.

I'm assuming this is the result of protection measures, as well.

Last edited by Aud AD; Yesterday at 04:53 AM.

Tags
api