VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 22, 2008, 09:36 AM
VGMdb Staff

Anyone know for sure who did the music for the Saturn compilation "Phantasy Star Collection", as well as the bonus arrange track? Was it all Bo's work or what?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm really disappointed that, unlike the other Wave Master game series compilation albums, this one didn't come with full credits.

All I know is that the arrangement on disc 1 is different from the one of the same track on Phantasy Star Collection: Sound Collection II. I don't think Bo did the Saturn tracks, but my only basis for that is that he dropped off the face of the planet during the middle of the Genesis's run. I was pretty surprised they tracked him down to do commentary on the album.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 04:07 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I'm really disappointed that, unlike the other Wave Master game series compilation albums, this one didn't come with full credits.
Yeah I was surprised by that too. Too bad, but I guess I'll sniff around a bit and see if I can dig something up
Old Oct 14, 2008, 07:11 AM

Even minus credits, I am still a major Phantasy Star Phan. (Yes, I'm punning "fan".)
Old Oct 14, 2008, 07:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That's not very phunny!
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:56 AM

I kinda remember that this album been sold sealed along with the sega ages Phantasy Star Complete Collection for PS2?.. Is this correct?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheryche View Post
I kinda remember that this album been sold sealed along with the sega ages Phantasy Star Complete Collection for PS2?.. Is this correct?
As far as I know, it's not; the only Sega Ages Phantasy Star came to come with anything extra to my knowledge was the remake of the first game, which was also the first game in the Sega Ages collection and came with an outside box as well as a hard-backed binder in which to store all of the recipe card-style inserts that came with each of the Sega Ages games.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:32 PM

It was technically part of the DX Pack for the PS Collection along with a rappy badge, but there wasn't a special set for it, you just got all three items in the post
Old Dec 14, 2014, 06:23 AM

The release date for the Japanese PSII and the US one (the first oversea release) don't seem that far away to justify a tweak of the score. Has anyone ever asked Bo why the score comes in two flavors?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:56 PM

The drums in the Japanese version are really loud. It's understandable that someone at Sega thought it was too much. Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me, but some other instruments sound slightly tweaked too.

Someone even made a patch to add the sound code from the US version to the Japanese version, just for the hell of it. That one is kinda funny because the retranslation is for the US version anyway.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
The drums in the Japanese version are really loud. It's understandable that someone at Sega thought it was too much.
This is my thought. I looked into these scores as I was interested in picking this collection up and - as unsurprising as it is - I'm glad they tweaked those drums. I'm sure you can chalk that up to what I was exposed to initially, but I only had the faintest of memories of my friend playing the game to begin with.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 06:35 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Thread resurrection!

seanne -- I saw you submitted the scans. If you did those yourself ... holy crap. They are a delight. I just got physical copy, and I really love the classic full-color discs, and your scans are like ... wow, what a match!
Old May 21, 2023, 06:56 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Anyone know for sure who did the music for the Saturn compilation "Phantasy Star Collection", as well as the bonus arrange track? Was it all Bo's work or what?
This is purely a guess from me, but it wouldn't surprise me if Yayoi Wachi did the Saturn music. She was still around in 1998 (judging by 1998 newcomer Hideki Naganuma having known her) but I don't know of any credits past 1997.
Pretty much very other consumer musican at SEGA ended up at WAVE MASTER a few years later with works lists, so Wachi's a prime suspect for these late 90's games with no confirmed composers.

Last edited by Nicolaas Hamman; May 21, 2023 at 06:58 AM.