VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 20, 2009, 03:28 AM

Does anyone know if Suleputer is still selling this album? I'm looking for one but can't find my way on their site...

thanks
Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:24 PM

I removed individual composer credits from the notes field, as they are now inaccurate following the announcement of Takashi Tateishi's involvement.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:01 AM
VGMdb Advisor

You mean from this thread? http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1349

I think it's a bit premature to just remove all of it. The scans definitely credit Matsumae for 1-27 and Yamaguchi for the rest, and for all we know Tateishi could have composed just the first 30 seconds of track 6 and Matsumae the rest.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:19 AM

I suppose it's fine to leave Matsumae's arrangement credit for that one track, but I think it's a mistake to leave the rest as-is. We don't know which track(s) Tateishi is responsible for, and the booklet clearly isn't recognizing any guest composers. I just think we just need more information before we have a composer breakdown, is all.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Ok, if I'm reading it correctly Matsumae says in the liner notes Tateishi was sitting next to her and kept begging her to let him compose. So he did stage 3 (Forest Stronghold). I guess SEMO's news weren't so exclusive after all
Yamaguchi says this was her debut work, and used the original source music with 3 additional tracks.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:08 PM

Alright, mystery solved! Good work, man!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:28 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Should the original credit breakdown be restored? Actually, where did the detailed track credits come from?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Should the original credit breakdown be restored? Actually, where did the detailed track credits come from?
Back and Booklet 2.

And yes, the original breakdown should be restored with the exception of Tracks 9 and 35 being credited to Takashi Tateishi as evidenced above.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Sep 26, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 03:26 PM

I think the following could be due to differences between the Arcade and SNES naming for stages, but I'll post it anyway just in case.

The notes for this album credits stage 1 ("Front Line Base", track 32) to Matsumae.

However, this album credits Yamaguchi as the composer of stage 1--which, according to this gameplay video of the SNES version is clearly "Front Line Base".
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I think the following could be due to differences between the Arcade and SNES naming for stages, but I'll post it anyway just in case.

The notes for this album credits stage 1 ("Front Line Base", track 32) to Matsumae.

However, this album credits Yamaguchi as the composer of stage 1--which, according to this gameplay video of the SNES version is clearly "Front Line Base".
The SNES version is largely an arranged version of the original arcade version. The composition credits are accurate - separating which tracks from the SNES version originated from the arcade version and which tracks are completely new compositions by Mari - and Mari's arrangements of Manami's (and Takashi's) tracks are covered in the arrangement credits just below.

In short, Manami originally composed "Oil Field Base ~ Round 1," which was later taken and arranged by Mari to create "Front Line Base."
Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:12 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

If track 35 "Forest Stronghold" is an arrangement of track 09 "Forest Stronghold ~ ROUND 3", and track 09 was composed by Takashi Tateishi, then shouldn't track 35 have the composition credited to Takashi Tateishi?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
If track 35 "Forest Stronghold" is an arrangement of track 09 "Forest Stronghold ~ ROUND 3", and track 09 was composed by Takashi Tateishi, then shouldn't track 35 have the composition credited to Takashi Tateishi?
Yeah, it most certainly should.
*Fixes*
Old Sep 9, 2011, 09:56 AM

Just to clarify, does Mari mention in the liner notes that she did arrangement/porting for the SNES version? She states that she composed the three new stage themes, but I think it's possible someone else did the porting.

The SNES game credits two more people for sound design: Toshio Kajino and someone called Ike-Bomb. Wasn't Kajino usually responsible for porting most of the other arcade scores to SNES?

Maybe Dag or someone can skim the liner notes again to see if Mari is more specific about her role. Otherwise, I think she should be removed from her "arrangement" role.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

My understanding from the notes is that she herself did the Snes score based on the arcade source, plus added 3 new tracks.

I'm not familiar with his Snes work, but elsewhere Kajino did mainly S.E. and sound design/direction, and Ike-bomb (Yasushi Ikeda) programming.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
My understanding from the notes is that she herself did the Snes score based on the arcade source, plus added 3 new tracks.

I'm not familiar with his Snes work, but elsewhere Kajino did mainly S.E. and sound design/direction, and Ike-bomb (Yasushi Ikeda) programming.
Yoshihiro Sakahuchi is specifically credited for programming on this game. I suppose this begs the question what exactly "sound design" refers to. Mari is also credited for this.

Earlier in the thread, you wrote this:

Quote:
Yamaguchi says this was her debut work, and used the original source music with 3 additional tracks.
"Used the original source music" does appear to imply she ported the full score, but now that I think about it a little more, it could mean she used the original music as a style reference for creating her new pieces. It's kind of vague, but perhaps I'm thinking too much.

It's also worth pointing out that there are a total of five new pieces for this version, yet Yamaguchi claims to have only done three. Hmmm..
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:14 PM
VGMdb Advisor

To clarify, here is what she says about her work a bit more literally (then it's thanks and comments):
- This was her debut work, +15 years ago. Having just entered Capcom she couldn't tell left from right, and the Snes wasn't even out. About the SFC version of the arcade game, the BGM uses mostly the source music. She did only three new additional tracks. Her memory is hazy, she just remembers about the strict capacity limits, erasing data and getting near the source music by trial and error.

My take is that she did port the AC tracks (based on the last sentence). Seeing "object design", "scroll design", etc, in the credits I understand "sound design" here just means "sound", BGM and S.E. She doesn't mention doing S.E., so at least one of the guys did them.

I'm not familiar with the Snes music, so if there are really five new pieces not based on the AC, it's possible the other two are Kajino/Ikeda's, just like Tateishi helped Matsumae. The album only credits Yamaguchi as "composer", so at least she should be main.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 03:56 PM

Alright, based on that transcription, I can accept that she ported the score.

However, I'm removing her from the composition of tracks 28 and 29 until further info can be unearthed.