VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:28 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Default Genre?

I have many times wondered why there isn't information about which type of genre a soundtrack has. I have many times asked myself why it wouldn't be possible... and I honestly see no reason why.

If a soundtrack has more than, say, 2 types of genres you could just have "Various" as genre.

Now, I'm not saying that we should go deeper than "Electronic", "Classical" etc. Although if it contains tracks with very general types of genres you should obviously put "Various" in the genre field.

So, why not?

Last edited by Nisto; Feb 19, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

"Various" isn't very useful information (I rage whenever I see an album credited to "various artists"). If we're going to have genre information, might as well go all out.

There are bazillions of genres and subgenres though, so I'm thinking this may be more suited to a categorized tagging system.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I gotta agree on the various thing. I thought it wouldn't even be considerable to have tons of genres listed. But...

I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have many of the larger genres listed at least. Although if none of the genres listed wouldn't suit for a new soundtrack that someone is submitting, we could have one part of the list (like how the platform and Submit covers forms works) named "Other". While that option is marked, the user can type optional text in a box to the right (or where ever).

Although it would probably be a good idea if we have the genres listed in the panel to the right, instead of where composers, publisher etc. is.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

If we did things by genre, I'd want multiple selectable genres... down to the track level.

Hardcore.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:22 PM

I've thought about it, but I always thought it was kind of a bad idea because well, genre is a hard thing to agree on some times. And on the other hand if it's too general it's not very useful. It might make more trouble than it's worth (or maybe it'll be fine, can't say.)
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA View Post
I've thought about it, but I always thought it was kind of a bad idea because well, genre is a hard thing to agree on some times.
I agree 100%.

I wonder if someone edit a song to a particular genre and the other doesn't agree we will never reach a consensus. If we already have several divergences of how to display track listings and artists, I think that implementing a subjective information can cause many problems. Just my opinion, of course.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 02:34 AM

the only option is tags - which i can see being useful. authoratively stamping genres on album pages would just breed arguments (i can imagine the type of thing right now. *recoiling in horror*) besides, if the genres are too generalised, they don't say very much about the music and we might as well not have them.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
the only option is tags - which i can see being useful. authoratively stamping genres on album pages would just breed arguments (i can imagine the type of thing right now. *recoiling in horror*) besides, if the genres are too generalised, they don't say very much about the music and we might as well not have them.
A tag system would be more flexible, yes, but I fail to see how it would serve to generate less arguments. In fact if people can freely edit them I could see it getting even more out of hand.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 03:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

What we can do is have tag ratings, like how VNDB does it. Unpopular tags (that are attached to a particular item) can be downrated into oblivion.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 03:57 AM

Sure, however basing it on popular opinion won't do much to help the actual accuracy. It will just serve to make the majority feel content with it. Granted, I'm cynical (and tired of hearing genres used wrong.)
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:40 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I'd be satisfied with tags. How about another function called "Similar to", though? It would find the tags from the soundtrack you're looking at and place 3 (or more) soundtracks that has the same tags to the right (or wherever).
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:13 AM

IRA: indeed, any means of sharing subjective content is exploitable. so i'm personally not even that bothered about tags (just wouldn't be against them if they were implemented.)
Old Feb 20, 2010, 05:16 PM
VGMdb Staff

I agree the main problems are the "genre agreeing" and "hmm, what genre is this anyway" issues - I'm really foreseeing a pain in the neck there. I think it might be better to work on a solution to the 'related albums' field.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
I think it might be better to work on a solution to the 'related albums' field.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now, too.