VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:10 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)
Default What songs and soundtracks would you like to see arranged, remastered or rerecorded?

Also, what musicians would you suggest to handle these?

KeyLogic's picks:

Arrangements:
Regardless of the fact that there were already two attempts made to the Sonic & Knuckles music, it would be great to have one that stays true to the original melody but uses more updated synthesized instruments in place of the original MIDI sounds. Not that the original music is out-dated in any way but it'd be nice to listen to this already catchy music but with a bit more pop & pizazz.

And just out of curiosity, it'd be interesting to hear what a jazz arrangement of Metroid Prime would sound like.
Oh, and a full-blown arrangement to Rocket Knight Adventure would be awesome! Perhaps even bundled with the original soundtrack which was never officially released?

Remastered:
None that KeyLogic can think of at this moment.

Rerecorded:
I'd love to hear a rerecording of "The Promised Land" from FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK. It's a very moving song but there's plenty of noticeable background hissing that could be drastically reduced if rerecorded onto newer sound equipment or in a different sound stage.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:44 AM

Maybe the FFVII:AC soundtrack should be remastered. (I think that's also what you're referring to. Incidentally, there is a great version of "The Promised Land" on the Voices DVD. It might be on Youtube somewhere.)

The ending choral piece from Xenogears, "The Beginning and the End," should be rerecorded. On the OST it sounds absolutely terrible.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
The ending choral piece from Xenogears, "The Beginning and the End," should be rerecorded. On the OST it sounds absolutely terrible.
I think it's perfect.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:01 AM

Might be because I've listened to a lot of trance recently, but I'm currently listening to The Brink of Death/Between Life and Death (from Chrono Cross) and thinking it needs a trance remix. Weird? An excellent remix though, something like Koshiro's Wangan work, or soundTeMP's Granado Espada stuff.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I think it's perfect.
Really? I always thought it sounded like it was recorded in a cave or something.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Really? I always thought it sounded like it was recorded in a cave or something.
It sounds ancient, and that's perfect given the scenario. Those vocal clusters were looped at a few points (at least, that's what it sounds like), so the whole thing wasn't recorded live. And being clustered the way they are, the recording suits the arrangement.

I think Mitsuda found a perfect balance. It's raw, visceral, and jubilant.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:07 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)
Quote:
Maybe the FFVII:AC soundtrack should be remastered. (I think that's also what you're referring to. Incidentally, there is a great version of "The Promised Land" on the Voices DVD. It might be on Youtube somewhere.)
KeyLogic did not know about the Voices DVD, he'll have to check that one out. Thanks!

------------------------

Another soundtrack that would make a great arrangement is The New Tetris (N64). The Original Songs are quite good, KeyLogic especially likes the song "haluci", but it'd be interesting to listen to these songs with full-blown, up-to-date synthesized instruments and effects. As for a composer, perhaps Tim Wright (A.K.A. CoLD SToRAGE) who did the music for WipeOut XL (PC game, not OST) could do something really special with this music.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:16 PM

I'm really not one to speak too much of mastering quality and all that, but I can really hear crackling in the Tsugunai soundtrack (an cinniuint or whatever it's called). I think the entire thing was mastered at like 140% volume and everything clipped massively at one time. I don't know, it's never sounded good to me, and I love that soundtrack too.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:39 AM

I always thought it'd be neat to hear an arrangement of King of Limbo (from Limbo of the Lost). Maybe something introspective and slow; a piano and one vocalist would work well there.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I'd love to hear a more powerful and longer arrangement of "Dreamer's Flute" from Estpolis Denki II, but also with a bit more variation to it.

Last edited by Nisto; Jun 3, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:43 PM

I want to see Golden Sun arranged. Dammit.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 08:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor

THUNDER FORCE III METAL ARRANGE !!!!!!!

Seriously.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki View Post
THUNDER FORCE IV METAL ARRANGE !!!!!!!

Seriously.
Fixed.

On all seriousness, at the very least I'd really like to see a remaster/rerecording of the arranged tracks in the TFIV soundtrack with better and/or real instrumentation. Even though the arranges are supreme, the not so good synth doesn't do it justice, and they lack much of the really powerful punch the originals had. The guitars are even hard to distinguish. A real shame indeed.

Oh yeah, more Turtles in Times and any Sonic game, please.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:54 PM

SuperSweepKart. super mario kart arranged by hosoe and friends.

Old Aug 15, 2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
SuperSweepKart. super mario kart arranged by hosoe and friends.

That sounds epic.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 03:03 PM

Jade Cocoon revisited by Kimitaka Matsumae and guests. Or a Jade Cocoon arrange with Kikuta, Mitsuda, Hirota and more.

Also a proper Kirby-arrange by SuperSweep. That album would be so sugary most would die of EXPLOSIVE diabetes.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:36 AM

Whoa, I knew it was louder than most albums I own, but when I pulled up images of the WAVs...you're right! Shame, too, I see that Mitsuda was the mastering engineer. He's done a much better job since then, luckily. The mastering on the Xenosaga reprint, the Soma Bringer soundtrack, and Colours of Light was also done by him, and much more reasonably.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:44 AM
Trusted Editor

So Colours of Light actually does feature remastered tracks? It's not just copies from the other albums?

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Aug 19, 2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:06 PM

Yes. Everything's remastered. Mitsuda said so on his blog before the album was released. I don't remember if there's anything that says "remaster" specifically in the liner notes, but Mitsuda is listed as mastering engineer for the whole album (as opposed to the original mastering engineers for the various original albums).

Last edited by Xenofan 29A; Aug 19, 2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 03:11 PM
Trusted Editor

Not exactly a rerecording, but I would like to see a more complete of the Xenosaga III soundtrack by Yuki Kajiura. I have a gamerip of the unreleased tracks here which features around 80 tracks which are not found on the soundtrack. At while they're at it they could include the godsibb version from the the Kajiura LIVE DVD as well
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:16 PM
Trusted Editor

While listening to "Colours of Light" (thanks to Xenofan for the recommendation, the mastering is really better this time) I had this crazy idea: A live performance recording of CREID, published on BluRay - hmmm.... yummy!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:57 AM

I would love to hear arrangements of some of my favorite ZX Spectrum tunes - e.g. all four main titles from Savage, Firefly, Jet Story, Sidewize, to name just a few. While at it, some less popular C64 tunes could do with an arrangement, e.g. Sigh of the Eye or Creatures. Among more modern titles, Monkey Island soundtracks still need a fully-orchestral treatment.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:31 PM

LiquidAcid: No problem. Always happy to spread Mitsuda's music around. He's still my favorite VGM composer.

Maybe we could have some kind of Final Fantasy XII arrange album? Or even better, a Vagrant Story orchestral suite!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 05:24 PM

Regardless of the fact that there were already two attempts made to the Sonic & Knuckles music, it would be great to have one that stays true to the original melody but uses more updated synthesized instruments in place of the original MIDI sounds. Not that the original music is out-dated in any way but it'd be nice to listen to this already catchy music but with a bit more pop & pizazz.
And just out of curiosity, it'd be interesting to hear what a jazz arrangement of Metroid Prime would sound like.true religion
Oh, and a full-blown arrangement to Rocket Knight Adventure would be awesome! Perhaps even bundled with the original soundtrack which was never officially released?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:41 AM

Some of the Jazz Jackrabbit tunes would be cool. I was thinking about trying to do it hah
Old Oct 4, 2010, 02:07 PM

Dark Cloud.

Because they made a premium arrange for Dark Cloud 2 but not 1.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:32 PM
Trusted Editor

An official soundtrack release for the 'Kara no Kyoukai' (Garden of Sinners) animation, scored by Yuki Kajiura:

There are only the 7 promo audio discs that were included with the limited edition of the respective movies. Not all of the discs are really filled, so this would probably result in a ~4 disc release.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:38 AM

Hello, Dear Friends!
I`m from Russia, St-Petersburg

Once in 1992 I played game Gun-Dec.
(also known as Vice: Project Doom)

Were very much remembered music from a final caption of this game.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the author of this fine music on yours site or in albums here ..Very much I ask to help...
Many thanks

You may also remastered it
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlin View Post
Once in 1992 I played game Gun-Dec.
(also known as Vice: Project Doom)

Were very much remembered music from a final caption of this game.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the author of this fine music on yours site or in albums here ..Very much I ask to help...
Many thanks
It's one or more of the following people [They're all credited as Staff. Nothing else.]

Hiroyuki Okada - Programer/Designer
Kiyoshi Yokoyama - Music/Sound Composer [MOST LIKELY THIS PERSON]
Tsutomu Nakazawa - Graphics/Artwork
Miyuki Yakushiji - Graphics/Artwork
Hiroshi Takeuchi - Graphic Design/Planning/Motion Design
Michio Sato - Director/Planning
Nenko - (?) [Assist? Test Play? Special Thanks?]

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/vi...t-doom/credits

You see, this is why we NEED to start crediting non-OST games. Not only is it unfair to those games, but we're also contradicting the site's purpose by not doing so. We might as well call it "VG(+A)OSTdb," 'cause that's all I've ever really seen here. (You'd think they would have considered that aspect before the jump to anime...). Just assign a range of artists (via page #), or assign them via request (if feasible) to a contributing user so we can slowly but surely work our way through the artists. If we find any artists not already on here, we assign someone to make pages for any and all of those people and then subsequently fill in that game information on the spot. It's not that hard, guys: I can get the ball rolling if you just give me the green light.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Oct 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 07:57 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
An official soundtrack release for the 'Kara no Kyoukai' (Garden of Sinners) animation, scored by Yuki Kajiura:

There are only the 7 promo audio discs that were included with the limited edition of the respective movies. Not all of the discs are really filled, so this would probably result in a ~4 disc release.
Woohooo!

http://vgmdb.net/album/22635

Not exactly four discs, but my prayers have been answered! *g*