VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:28 AM

Default Youtube and VGM

I am considering opening a Youtube account for vgm that's not commonly known or on Youtube. However, I don't want to upload if it is all going to be shut down by Youtube.

Is there a lawful and legal way for uploading video game music? I noticed some people fill descriptions with copyright laws or other legal justifications. I am hoping that there are steps I can take to ensure the videos will not be removed.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Chaser View Post
I noticed some people fill descriptions with copyright laws or other legal justifications. I am hoping that there are steps I can take to ensure the videos will not be removed.
Writing some lines in the description does not change anything. I see some videos have a disclaimer like "I don't own this music. No copyright infringement intended. (C) Some Company Inc".

Saying that doesn't make it legal. What the person who wrote that text is doing, is precisely the copyright infringement he claims not to intend.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:21 PM

I see. So any vgm video I upload could be removed at any time regardless?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:58 PM

Not necessarily, things are starting to change recently on yt. When there's a content id match, the rightfull owner will have the option to leave it available and generate income with it. They will show adds at the beginnning of the video and if the author is kind enough he will even give you a small percentage (when your channel is monetized).

Edit: But they also have the option to take it down offcourse...

Last edited by alex-kid; Jul 20, 2014 at 02:01 PM.