VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 7, 2015, 04:55 AM

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Last edited by ChunkyLover130; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 03:48 PM

So a "best of" compilation? Will be nice to get some of this music that's never been released, but doubt my favorites are going to be here. =/
Old Aug 7, 2015, 03:49 PM

Didn't see a purchase link? Hope it hits CD Japan.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 08:50 PM

it shows up on the JP Neowing site, but not on CD Japan just yet. It took them quite awhile to add the Chrono Trigger/Cross album and the Legend of Mana album to the CD Japan site. They seem to be a little slow on that uptake lately.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 04:00 AM

they should make a real 30th anniversary release in the form of a cd-box instead of those incomplete or non-existent releases
Old Aug 8, 2015, 06:56 AM

So this does not include the full soundtracks of the games listed, right? I don't think 2 discs would be enough. If so, I agree, these incomplete releases are... irritating? Nice-looking and all but still irritating.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
they should make a real 30th anniversary release in the form of a cd-box instead of those incomplete or non-existent releases
Yeah, a Super Mario Sound Box in the same vein as the Rockman Sound Boxes recently put out by Capcom would be sheer gold (but we know that Nintendo will never spring for such a thing).
Old Aug 10, 2015, 09:24 AM

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/COCX-39270

up at cd japan now
Old Aug 12, 2015, 04:46 AM

Yet another best of, cash cow for the record company. This should be right, across about 18 discs?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:38 AM

I was getting worried, Now with Club Nintendo gone, I wondered to myself how or if it was even possible to get new musical content, For a second, I thought the ending compilation album was a mske-shift 30th anniversary tribute, It's great to know that isn't the case.

The only issue is that most of the material already has been released on other CDs, I'm afraid that they'll rehash songs from the 20th Anniversary soundtrack, Although music from New Super Mario Bros. series along with the land games and 3D Land is a welcomed treat, I don't need to hear Delfino Plaza and Ricco Harbor for the 50th time... Carona Mountain, Hotel Delfino, Castle BGM [NSMB]

You know, Something different

Last edited by Gaiden; Aug 12, 2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
But that would be something rational and competent and modern Nintendo is anything but.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiden View Post
I was getting worried, Now with Club Nintendo gone, I wondered to myself how or if it was even possible to get new musical content, For a second, I thought the ending compilation album was a mske-shift 30th anniversary tribute, It's great to know that isn't the case.

The only issue is that most of the material already has been released on other CDs, I'm afraid that they'll rehash songs from the 20th Anniversary soundtrack, Although music from New Super Mario Bros. series along with the land games and 3D Land is a welcomed treat, I don't need to hear Delfino Plaza and Ricco Harbor for the 50th time... Carona Mountain, Hotel Delfino, Castle BGM [NSMB]

You know, Something different
Honestly, I thought new Nintendo OSTs were gone forever after CN's closure. I'm just happy that TLoZ MM 3D and Fire Emblem are getting OST releases of some sort. I just wish that stuff from their back catalogue got reprinted. I still long for the day where I can buy the Metroid OSTs digitally.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 02:09 PM

At the risk of getting further off-topic, what I really wish Nintendo would do is have a Jukebox channel on Wii U and/or 3DS. You could buy the full music of certain games in the library (maybe everything that's been released on Virtual Console?) and listen to them on your console at your leisure. The best thing about this hypothetical Jukebox is that it would contain official song titles and composer/arranger credits for every song in a particular game. A man can dream!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 03:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Artist notes:

Super Mario Sunshine: specifics from http://vgmdb.net/album/1890 and http://vgmdb.net/album/2043

New Super Mario Bros.: Koji Kondo did the unofficially titled "Walking the Plains" theme that is presumably 1.41, but I don't know for certain that's the track from the title alone. Don't think we have anything for the other two picks.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii: 2.08 from here http://vgmdb.net/album/19866, 2.09 unknown

Super Mario 3D Land: 2.18 from the piano book http://www.ymm.co.jp/p/detail.php?co...8541&dm=d#song, 2.17 possibly Takeshi Hama's from the same source (main theme) but needs verification because the title is different

New Super Mario Bros. 2: Sound credits are real bad in this game and I don't know that Kenta Nagata was actually responsible for the entire soundtrack
Old Sep 5, 2015, 09:24 AM

Thanks for fixing the literal translation track list. I kinda messed up there.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 08:30 PM

Last edited by ChunkyLover130; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 08:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The credits in that game are "sound director," "sound engineering," and "sound adviser," none of which is particularly indicative of anything (though Nagata is more likely than anyone else there). Is there an interview or something that clarifies?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 05:19 PM

I'm not entirely convinced Koji Kondo did the Super Mario Maker Title Screen theme.
Has there been any official confirmation that it's a solo score, like Ocarina of Time? The only thing I've heard was the announcement his position as "lead composer" back during The Game Awards, and ever since it's seemed like people have somehow spun that as though it meant he's the only one doing anything for it.

At any rate, it's not confirmed yet, and I don't think it's a very good idea to assume he did until it's confirmed, like how songs like the Super Mario 3D Land Ground Theme is 'credited' at the moment.
Ground BGM (New Super Mario Bros.) is probably the Overworld theme Kondo wrote, taking into account naming conventions.

I'm rather disappointed there's just one song from Super Mario Maker in this, though. Hopefully there'll be a more proper release of the music sometime soon.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 06:28 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can of Nothing View Post
I'm not entirely convinced Koji Kondo did the Super Mario Maker Title Screen theme.
Has there been any official confirmation that it's a solo score, like Ocarina of Time?
"I'm creating all the sounds in the game & writing all the music for it as well": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WsP4lnFq9w&t=3m25s
Old Sep 9, 2015, 09:54 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can of Nothing View Post
Has there been any official confirmation that it's a solo score, like Ocarina of Time? The only thing I've heard was the announcement his position as "lead composer" back during The Game Awards, and ever since it's seemed like people have somehow spun that as though it meant he's the only one doing anything for it.

At any rate, it's not confirmed yet, and I don't think it's a very good idea to assume he did until it's confirmed, like how songs like the Super Mario 3D Land Ground Theme is 'credited' at the moment.
Ground BGM (New Super Mario Bros.) is probably the Overworld theme Kondo wrote, taking into account naming conventions.

I'm rather disappointed there's just one song from Super Mario Maker in this, though. Hopefully there'll be a more proper release of the music sometime soon.
He stated in various interviews in December that he was the sole guy doing audio for the game.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 02:59 PM
Trusted Editor

Ok, it seems like Kondo did have help, as Naoto Kubo and Asuka Hayazaki co-composed with him, per the game's credits. So this means either Kondo forgot about their roles, or they both joined the project after Kondo claimed he was the sole composer in December (it's been 10 months since then, which is most likely).

Slightly off topic: Kubo was credited in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, but no roles were given for any of the personnel. It's highly likely he did help Yokota with composing, however, now that we know for sure Kubo is a composer and not a sound designer who did a few tracks for Majora's Mask 3D.

Last edited by dissident93; Sep 11, 2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 08:32 AM

Can someone tell me what this plastic sleeve thing is that came with the soundtrack?

I got mine from cdjapan.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
Can someone tell me what this plastic sleeve thing is that came with the soundtrack?

I got mine from cdjapan.
CDJapan says: Mini clear file as the external bonus.

Might be just a CDJapan present or somewhere to put the soundtrack in, I guess.

Also, I hope someone over VGMB does scans!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 02:33 PM

Last edited by ChunkyLover130; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 03:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yamaha's site for the Ukulele book weirdly doesn't include credits for the last six songs, but I found them at Tsutaya and yup, Shiho Fujii for the NSMBU aboveground BGM. Neat. Also gives Kenta Nagata for the NSMB2 aboveground BGM.

Have you listened to the album and checked that the SM3DL aboveground theme here is Hama's main theme? I'm sure it is, but the reason I didn't put it in the notes before is because it's called "Super Mario 3D Land Theme" elsewhere and the name would be different here.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:52 PM

Last edited by ChunkyLover130; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 03:59 PM
Trusted Editor

Wonder if we could get Hama to tell us what he did for 3D Land, like he did for Skyward Sword.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 08:12 PM

Last edited by ChunkyLover130; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:11 AM. Reason: .
Old Jun 17, 2020, 01:56 PM

Is it just me, or has everyone potentially misinterpreted the title of this album? It seems to me that it should actually read "Super Mario Bros. Music: The 30th Anniversary." The main title of the album, based on font size, seems to be "Super Mario Bros. Music."

It would be kind of like a soundtrack album where "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" is placed above the actual movie title--you don't write the title as (for example) "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Star Wars." You write the main movie/TV show/game/album title, and then the other stuff afterwards. Idk, just my two cents on the title of this one.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 03:36 PM

That is how it is written everywhere on the album and on storefronts. We document things as they are written, regardless of what your interpretation of it is. This kind of ordering is fairly common in Japanese titles such as Shin Seiki Evangelion or Makai Senki Disgaea.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 03:58 PM

A whole bunch of artist information is missing from this album. surely you guys know who does these songs by now, a little bit of "Googling" never hurts anyone that's how in the end I found out.