VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:01 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Was this given out on a CDR? I'm not so sure this qualifies for an entry.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 01:59 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I have no idea, here are the 2 sources that talks about this album:
http://www.moviemusicuk.us/wrathucd.htm
http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/review.asp?ID=3105
I was also hesitating to post it..
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

My opinion is that, even for self-distributed CDRs, if the distributor is an "official" source (such as the composer or the game publisher) then it's something "of interest" to our audience.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 06:16 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
My opinion is that, even for self-distributed CDRs, if the distributor is an "official" source (such as the composer or the game publisher) then it's something "of interest" to our audience.
I agree with this.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:46 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So every time a composer gives some music to an associate or a friend, that qualifies as a release? That seems too loose to me. I don't know any composers personally, but it wouldn't surprise me if they gave music out all the time. On top of that, every time a composer sends some sample tracks to a game producer to evaluate (or whatever the process is, Carl probably knows about this), there's an implicit release of music. This could add up to dozens of album entries per game. Also, every crossfade demo on an h-game website could be a release with its own album page.

I'm not saying that I don't want any composer 'promo' releases in the database; clearly some belong. When a composer zips up some mp3s and gives it to a fansite to distribute, that's a release. Similarly, if the release is a pressed CD with artwork, that belongs in the database. If someone takes a composer CDR and tries to sell it on Ebay, it probably becomes a release, though I'd be more likely to classify it as a bootleg if there wasn't clear proof it came from the artist. That's the thing though. If all of the release information is unknown, except the word of some guy who says it came from the artist, then it's not clear that we've reached the level of confirmation needed to enter it here.

By the way, the fact that this promo is only mentioned on film-soundtrack websites pretty much confirms my fears. Film soundtrack traders are well known for networking with composers so that they can obtain music directly from them. This gives them leverage to trade for other such rare music from other collectors. I doubt anyone outside of a small circle will ever see any of these.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
So every time a composer gives some music to an associate or a friend, that qualifies as a release? That seems too loose to me. I don't know any composers personally, but it wouldn't surprise me if they gave music out all the time. On top of that, every time a composer sends some sample tracks to a game producer to evaluate (or whatever the process is, Carl probably knows about this), there's an implicit release of music. This could add up to dozens of album entries per game. Also, every crossfade demo on an h-game website could be a release with its own album page.
To have an entry in the album database, the material should be formatted as (or similar to) an album in the first place, plus there should be a certain volume of distribution. I thought that much was obvious, I'm not proposing a complete dismantling of the guidelines here.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:32 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Okay, you guys were scaring me for a bit.

I think that in order to reach a sufficient level of proof, these entries will require some legwork to obtain verification. Maybe a digital photo or something would be sufficient (like on this one that came up recently.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:05 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I did not want to start such debate
Feel free to delete that album if you think we do not get enough proof of its existence.
I also agree that a certain number of copy should be available to get an entry (or at least a photo for this kind of releases).