VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:53 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Preordered! Looking forward to this one!
Old Oct 28, 2020, 08:57 AM

Oh boy!! All-in-one package, neat!
Old Oct 29, 2020, 09:36 PM

I wonder if the first three discs with music from the 2003 game are remastered.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 09:38 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
I wonder if the first three discs with music from the 2003 game are remastered.
Disc1,2 「真・女神転生III -NOCTURNE オリジナル・サウンドトラック」 (アニプレックス社発売のSVWC-7173~4と同内容ディスク)26曲+23曲
Disc3 「真・女神転生III –NOCTURNE マニアクス サウンドトラック extra version」 (アニプレックス社発売のSVWC-7308と同内容ディスク)21曲
Disc4,5 『真・女神転生III NOCTURNE HD REMASTER 現実魔界化BOX』収録CD「新録ピアノアレンジ10曲」+「レアサウンンドトラック27曲」

↑↑↑When describing the contents of discs 1~3, it references the catalog numbers of the original prints and says the contents are the same, so I would say they are in fact direct reprints and that audio haven't been remastered.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 07:52 PM

Since this album is just an amalgamation of previously released albums and a new one I added an English tracklist taken from each of the respective releases for this entry. I wasn't sure if I should leave the times or not, so I omit them.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 08:24 PM
VGMdb Advisor

NoisyCroak has been posting that their company handled SFX and other conversions for the Remaster, but no specific mention of redoing any BGM
Old Oct 30, 2020, 08:39 PM

If the music was redone or remastered in any way that would be a big selling point, but the description says pretty clearly that the first three discs are straight reprints of the previous releases.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 09:18 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Early pre-orders from the Atlus D Shop will come with a bonus "Shin Megami Tensei III NOCTURNE Linking Acrylic Keyholder Press Turn" (真・女神転生III NOCTURNE 連結アクリルキーホルダー プレスターン) while supplies last.

https://ebten.jp/atlus/p/7015020121601
Old Nov 5, 2020, 09:27 PM

It'll be convenient to have all the previous soundtracks in one set, I might pre-order it. However, I did see someone say that the "Rare Soundtrack" songs sounded compressed which is very disappointing if it's true.
I've heard that the game itself doesn't feature any remastered audio and is still compressed like the PS2 release, so I'm not surprised that this albulm seemingly lacks any remastered tracks.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 09:30 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingAbyss View Post
It'll be convenient to have all the previous soundtracks in one set, I might pre-order it. However, I did see someone say that the "Rare Soundtrack" songs sounded compressed which is very disappointing if it's true.
I've heard that the game itself doesn't feature any remastered audio and is still compressed like the PS2 release, so I'm not surprised that this albulm seemingly lacks any remastered tracks.
Since I don't own the original release, this will be the best way for me to finally have all this music. But I am disappointed to hear that the files are poorly compressed. Poor compression and heavy-handed mastering really bum me out and really turn me off from a lot of otherwise good soundtracks. Hopefully it's not so bad that it's unlistenable for me.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 09:31 PM

I'm pretty sure I've heard the same criticism of the previous soundtrack releases. It really does seem that Atlus lost or never kept the original files from the beginning.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:45 PM

Here's a comparison of a few tracks, the difference in compression is very apparent.

I'm no expert when it comes to this sort of stuff, but I just tried listening to a couple of the tracks from the "Rare Soundtrack" and from what I could tell it didn't sound like the compression was any better than the in-game versions which really blows.
Though I guess as long as they aren't lossy transcodes or anything like that then it's still better than no official release at all. Still I would have preferred it if they had included more unreleased tracks instead of the piano arrangements since there's still a ton of stuff missing and I think that the piano tracks are going to feel a bit out of place when sandwiched between the rest of the soundtrack.

Additionally, I find it odd that they didn't include the track "Shinjuku Hospital (After Conception)" since apparently at one point you could download it and "Amala Temple" (which they did include) by visiting Sony's website while the CD was in your computer.

I also noticed something interesting, in the albulm version of "The One Who Waits for the Time" there's an abrupt transition at about 1:42, said abrupt transition is still featured in the game cutscene (endgame spoilers), but the drums continue for a few seconds longer before fading out which makes it sound a bit less awkward, imo. I have no idea why they included that pre-battle sound effect though, maybe it was just part of the original file? Even still it kind of makes the track sound like it came from a gamerip and not an actual official release.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Nov 10, 2020 at 03:07 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Additionally, I find it odd that they didn't include the track "Shinjuku Hospital (After Conception)" since apparently at one point you could download it and "Amala Temple" (which they did include) by visiting Sony's website while the CD was in your computer.
I had initially assumed it would be included as well, lending the name "rare tracks." But sadly no.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 02:15 AM

Come to think of it, I wonder if they'd be willing to fix the unreleased tracks on this release (assuming that the uncompressed versions even still exist) if it was brought to their attention?
Then again it releases in like a month so it's probably too far into production already to really do anything about it now.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 02:46 AM

Quote:
assuming that the uncompressed versions even still exist
I'm assuming at this point that they don't. This is the third time releasing music from the game and all three times it's been the compressed in-game versions. I can't imagine them making that same mistake for 17 years with this specific game when their other OST releases are fine.

EDIT: This comment is at least half wrong. See below.

Last edited by Aifread; Nov 6, 2020 at 04:00 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 03:26 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Here's a comparison of a few tracks, the difference in compression is very apparent.
Where did the superior sounding uncompressed "OST" versions in this video come from if all the previous soundtracks were apparently released with the compressed audio on them?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 03:33 AM

That video seems to be suggesting the opposite of what's been said here: that the original album releases were uncompressed, unlike the in-game PS2 and remaster versions.

EDIT: I think I've misunderstood the entire discussion. The complaints about the remaster using compressed audio just like the original is pertaining to the game itself only and not the OST releases. That comparison video is accurate to the original CDs that I have (I've never played the game to compare before). The original files being lost pertains to two things: the newly-released tracks on this set, and the in-game variations on battle theme riffs and such - if they don't have those, I can see them just going with what they had for the PS2 version.

Last edited by Aifread; Nov 6, 2020 at 04:08 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 01:01 AM

Well, I know it's a longshot, but I emailed Play-Asia, CDJapan and even sent a message to ATLUS West's twitter informing them about the compressed audio in hopes that they could potentially pass my message along to the right people.
I'm really not expecting it to go anywhere, but at least I tried.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
[...]
[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
I had initially assumed it would be included as well, lending the name "rare tracks." But sadly no.
They also didn't include the music from the top of the Tower Of Kaguchushi, Obelisk, Obelisk puzzle. I have these.

Last edited by DanteLectro; Nov 17, 2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 02:02 AM

It appears that three of the tracks from the "Rare Soundrack" are just inferior duplicates of tracks that were already released on the original and Maniax soundtracks.
Also, the second half of "My God and the Demon Lord of Ice" is the same as the second half of "God Aradia - Advent," but the first half is the unique variation heard at the end of the Diet Building.
Repeated Songs:

"Kabukicho Prison" = "Kabukicho"
"Upper Tower" = "Rescue"
"The One Who Waits for the Time" = " Power of the Dark"

Some of the titles from the US Maniax CD take liberties with their translations, but there are a few which as far as I can tell are faithful translations.
With that said I was wondering if a handful of the current translations should be swapped out with some of the titles from the US Maniax CD.
Considering that they're from an official source I feel that they should probably take priority over the unofficial ones even if they're synonymous.
Below are the applicable titles, let me know if it looks like there are any translation inconsistency between them that I missed.
US Maniax Translation Comparison:

"Dante Enters" → "Enter Dante" ("ダンテ登場")
"Master of Hell" → "Lord of the Netherworld" ("魔界の主人")
"Power of the Dark" → "Power of Darkness" ("闇の力")
"Last Battle" → The Final Battle ("最後の戦い")
"Supreme Ruler of the Dark" → "Emperor of the Dark" ("闇の覇王")
"Curse" → "Cursed" ("呪縛")
"Gleaming Sky" → "Bright Sky" ("煌天")

I think "煌天" would typically be translated as "glittering," "shining" or "gleaming," but "bright" should be applicable as well.
It's worth noting that the skill "煌天の会心" was translated as "Bright Might" in the English version of the game.

The phrase "Power of Darkness" is used specifically in the scene where that track plays.
"But first, I must know the extent of the power of darkness you hold within."

Here were a few other tracks from the original and Maniax soundtracks that I was looking at and had some thoughts on in regards to their translations. If there's anyone here who's familiar with Japanese then your thoughts on these would be much appreciated.
Soundtrack Translation Thoughts/Inquire:

1.13: I was wondering if "Recovery Spring" ("回復の泉") should be changed to "Recovery Fountain," as the English translation called it "Fountain of Life." "泉" can be translated as "fountain," though I don't believe "回復" can be read as "life" so I imagine that part of it was just a localization change. However, if I recall correctly it is referred to as a "spring" instead of a "fountain" in SMT IV: Apocalypse & SMT: Liberation Dx2.

1.21: "Joker" → "Joke" / "Jest" / "Playing the Fool" ("おどけ")
To my understanding "おどけ" means to purposefully fool/joke around. I think something like "Playing the Fool" (or maybe even just "Joke" or "Jest") might be a more accurate way of translating it than "Joker," but I'm not entirely sure. Plus in the context of MegaTen the term "Joker" is likely to make one think of Persona 2 and/or 5 instead of Nocturne.

2.11: "Manekata" → "Manikin" ("マネカタ")
I'm not sure if "Manikin" is actually an accurate translation or not (though it is what was used for the English translation,) however I noticed that we currently have the track "マネカタの面汚し" listed as "Manikin's Shame" so for the sake of consistency I think that one of these should be changed to match the other.

2.12: I was curious to know, does the space in "アラディア神 降臨" denote a hyphen when translated into English? It doesn't appear that any of the other track titles have spaces in them so I suppose it makes sense. Couldn't it also be translated as "God Aradia's Advent" or "Advent of the God Aradia?"

2.19: I'm uncertain if this was a translation error or not, but in the English script, "ヤヒロノヒモロギ" was translated as "Yahirono Himorogi" as opposed to "Yahiro no Himorogi," thus I wasn't sure if the spelling used for the English tracklist should reflect that or not. After all we have "アマラ" listed as "Amala" instead of "Amara" which was a mistranslation in the English script.

2.22: Currently we have "再生" translated as "Reincarnation," but I have reason to believe that something like "Playback" might be more fitting given the context. This track is used in the Freedom Ending where the Demi-fiend chooses to restore Tokyo to its state from before the Conception, the game then ends similar to how it began with the protagonist heading out to meet up with his friends. There doesn't appear to be any implications of reincarnation occurring in this scenario (in fact you could say you're actually denying the reincarnation of the world by setting it back to how it used to be.) Unless they're referring to the characters themselves, but reincarnation would imply that they became different people instead of remaining the same.

Similar to the above here are tracks from the "Rare Soundtrack" that I have some thoughts on in regards to their translations. Again, any assistance regarding these would be greatly appreciated.
Rare Soundtrack Translation Thoughts/Inquire:

5.1: I was thinking about changing "Amala Drums" ("アマラ転輪鼓") to just "Amala Drum" for the same reason that we have "Recovery Spring" instead of "Recovery Springs." That is to say that the plural form is unnecessary here.

5.5/5.21: These two are simply grammar related, but I was debating as to whether or not "Fleeting Dream" should be "A Fleeting Dream" and if "Creation of a New Demon" should be "The Creation of a New Demon."

5.4: "禍なる魂": I believe this title is referring to the parasitic creature known as a the "Magatama" ("マガタマ" / "禍魂.") Initially I thought the title was referring to the Blonde Child (Lucifer) as the first half of the song is used for most of the scenes featuring him, but the second half of this track only plays in the scene where he gives you the Magatama. In the Japanese version this scene is followed by the Old Woman's voice saying "悪魔の力を宿せし禍なる魂”マガタマ”。これで貴方は悪魔となったのです。" in the English version this was translated to "Magatama, the essence of demonic power... You have now joined the ranks of demons." If I'm looking at this right, it appears that they localized "禍なる魂" to "essence of demonic power." However, when asking the Lady of the Fount about the "curse" ailment she will say: "マガタマは禍魂... マガタマ暴れし時、御身に黒き呪いを 授けることもありましょう。" In the English script she says, "The Magatama is a spirit of misfortune... There may be times when you shall receive a terrible curse by the Magatama raging within you." While the same spelling is not used here I think that "禍なる魂" can also be translated as "Spirit of Misfortune." Maybe that would be the most appropriate option in terms of translation here as it appears to be the only equatable phrasing in the English script that's also still faithful to the original writing.

5.9: "カブキチョウのあいつ": This title is a weird one, it's used when encountering Isamu in the Kabukicho Prison who then proceeds to use the terminal there to enter the Amala Network. In addition to "The Guy of Kabukicho" I believe it could also be read as "That Guy at Kabukicho" or "That Guy in Kabukicho" either of which are probably more fitting in terms of phrasing. The thing I don't understand here is the use of "あいつ" because that implies that the person in question is someone unfamiliar when in actuality the person in the scene is Isamu, one of the protagonist's friends. The only logical conclusion I can reach is that maybe they mixed up Isamu and Futomimi as he's a character whom you do meet for the first time in the scene prior to this one and is the reason Isamu went to Kabukicho in the first place. Additionally, when speaking to Isamu in an earlier scene he says that he heard a rumor about a Manikin (Futomimi) that can see the future, the exact line being "...I guess I have to place my bets on that guy." The Japanese line is "...こうなったら、アイツに賭けてみるしかねえかな。" but I believe "アイツ" can also be read as "that guy" which further leads me to believing they were referring to the incorrect character for this title.

5.12: "マネカタの面汚し": In addition to "Manikin's Shame" I believe this could also be read as "Shame/Disgrace of the Manikins." This track is used when first meeting the renegade Manikin, Sakahagi who kills his fellow Manikins for their skin and Magatsuhi (energy.) As one of the Maniken NPCs put it, "He's a traitor to our cause, having committed various atrocities." This title is likely referring to how the other Manikins view him which is why I think that "Manikin's Shame" should be altered to one of the other options as it's not Sakahagi himself that feels any sense of shame for his actions, but his fellow Manikins whom find his actions to be disgraceful.

5.14: "イケブクロの静寂": In addition to "Ikeburuko in Silence" I believe it could also be read as "The Silence of Ikeburuko" or "Silence in Ikeburuko." This track plays during the scene when you meet Hikawa in front of the Mantra Headquarters, this being not too long after he utilized the Nightmare System to drain the Magatsuhi from the Mantra Army which resulted in the deaths or weakened states of the demons residing there. I'm assuming that the title is in refrence to most of the life there having been extinguished as a result of the aforementioned Nightmare System. Regardless, I wasn't sure if the context made one of the alternatively phrasing more appropriate or not so I just figured I'd mention it.

5.22: "魔なる神": In addition to "Demonic God" I think it could also be read as "Demon God" or "Devil God," but those are all synonymous. The title is reffering to Chiaki's demonic sponsor, "Baal Avatar."
However, I'm curious as to how "魔なる神" differs from "魔神" ("majin") which can similarly be translated as Demon/Devil God," perhaps it's just that some of the potential translations differ between the two?

5.23: "私の神と氷の魔王": This is another weird one, this track plays during the scene at the end of the Diet Building with Hikawa and Yuko/Aradia. "私の神" is referring to Yuko's demonic sponsor, "Aradia" who she often refers to as "私の神" or "my god" in the English script. However, the part which confuses me is "氷の魔王" as I can't determine what exactly it's referring to. The most logical answer would be that it's referring to the demonic sponsor that Hikawa is about to summon, the "god of the void," "Ahriman." However, I don't see anything in the game nor the actual deity from Zoroastrianism that pertains to ice. Interestingly, Hikawa's name ("氷川" / "ひかわ") means "glacier" and includes the kanji for ice ("氷") so maybe that has something to do with it. Considering that they seem to have erroneously referred to Isamu as "that guy" it wouldn't surprise me if this was a typo or something and it was actually meant to be "私の神と氷川の魔王" ("My God and Hikawa's Demon Lord/Devil.") This is all purely conjecture though of course.

5.25 "アメ・ツチ・ヨミ": I believe, "Ame-Tsuchi-Yomi" is correct, though I'm not sure how it relates to the context of the scene in which it's used. This track is basically just sound effects from a cutscene, said cutscene being when you ascend to face Kagutsuchi. Ame would be "heaven," Tsuchi would be "earth," and "Yomi" would be the land of the dead / the underworld, so I guess you could translate it as "Heaven-Earth-Underworld?" Though "Ame-Tsuchi-Yomi" has a better ring to it, imo.

5.26 "刻を待つ者": I think this one could also be translated as "Those Who Wait for the Time" as opposed to "The One Who Waits for the Time" though there's no way to determine for sure if it's intended to be singular or plural. This track plays before facing Lucifer in the True Demon route, I'm uncertain if the title is meant to refer to Lucifer specifically or demonkind in general, but I'm leaning towards the latter based on this line of dialouge featured in the cutscene after the battle: "All of you who have lurked in darkness and waited faithfully for this day, hear me... A new demon of darkness has been born...The time has come."

Also, here's a list of all the arrangements of past MegaTen tracks that I'm aware of in Nocturne.
Song Arrangements:

"Ginza" is an arrangement of "Shopping Arcade" from Shin Megami Tensei.
"Normal Battle ~Amala Network~" is an arrangement of "Old Enemy (Akira Chapter)" from Shin Megami Tensei: if...
"Ikebukuro" is similar to "Shibuya" from Shin Megami Tensei, but I'm not sure if it's close enough to be considered an arrangement.
"Puzzle Boy" is an arrangement of "Kichijoji" from Shin Megami Tensei.
"Game Over" is an arrangement of "Game Over" from Shin Megami Tensei II.
"Chaos" is an arrangement of "Chaos" from Shin Megami Tensei.
"Law" is an arrangement of "Law" from Shin Megami Tensei.
"Amala Drum" is an arrangement of "Terminal" (aka "Terminal Point") from Shin Megami Tensei II.

Additionally, I decided to pair all the new tracks from the "Rare Soundtrack" to their respective in-game locations in case anyone was curious.
Rare Soundtrack (Disc 5) In-Game Locations:

01 アマラ転輪鼓 / Misc: Save terminals
02 誰もいないロビー / Event: Chiaki in the Shinjuku Medical Center lobby
03 ビジョン / Event: "Mysterious Voice" (Kagutsuchi) theme, first heard immediately after the Conception
04 禍なる魂 / Event: Blond Child (Lucifer) gives you the Magatama
05 新たな悪魔を創りたる / Event: Protagonist awakens as the Demi-Fiend
06 アマラ経絡 / Stage: Amala Network
07 ニヒロ機構 / Stage: Assembly of Nihilo
08 カブキチョウ捕囚所 / Stage: Kabukicho Prison
09 カブキチョウのあいつ / Event: Isamu uses the Terminal in the Kabukicho Prison
10 悪魔合体 / Misc: Demon Fusion
11 アサクサのヒジリ / Event: Hijiri at the Asakusa Terminal
12 マネカタの面汚し / Event: First meeting with Sakahagi in Asakusa
13 塔の上 / Event: Rescuing Yuko at the Obelisk
14 イケブクロの静寂 / Event: Hikawa in Ikebukuro
15 ヨヨギ公園 / Stage: Yoyogi Park
16 ギリメカラ / Event: Sakahagi at Yoyogi Park
17 アマラ神殿 / Stage: Amala Temple
18 磔 / Event: Isamu and Hijiri at the Central Temple
19 漂流神 / Event: Isamu summons Noah
20 ミフナシロ / Stage: Mifunashiro
21 うたかたのゆめ / Event: Chiaki massacres the Manikins
22 魔なる神 / Event: Chiaki summons Baal Avatar
23 私の神と氷の魔王 / Hikawa and Yuko/Aradia at the Diet Building
24 源、伸ばせし塔 / Stage: Tower of Kagutsuchi (first three variations)
25 アメ・ツチ・ヨミ / Event: Elevator to Kagutsuchi
26 刻を待つ者 / Event: Before Lucifer Battle
27 レベルアップ / Misc: Level up

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Nov 16, 2020 at 02:14 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Also, here's a list of all the arrangements of past MegaTen tracks that I'm aware of in Nocturne.
Song Arrangements:

"Ginza" is an arrangement of "Shopping Arcade" from Shin Megami Tensei.
"Normal Battle ~Amala Network~" is an arrangement of "Old Enemy (Akira Chapter)" from Shin Megami Tensei: if...
"Ikebukuro" is similar to "Shibuya" from Shin Megami Tensei, but I'm not sure if it's close enough to be considered an arrangement.
"Puzzle Boy" is an arrangement of "Kichijoji" from Shin Megami Tensei.
"Game Over" is an arrangement of "Game Over" from Shin Megami Tensei II.
"Chaos" is an arrangement of "Chaos" from Shin Megami Tensei.
"Law" is an arrangement of "Law" from Shin Megami Tensei.
"Amala Drum" is an arrangement of "Terminal" (aka "Terminal Point") from Shin Megami Tensei II.
There's a couple you missed here. "TALK" is based on "Encounter" from SMT1, "Fiend" is from SMT1 (PS1 version), and "Metatron" is based on "Law" and "Epilogue" from SMT1.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 09:06 AM
VGMdb Advisor

@BlazingAbyss - for the rare tracks translation (I did) comments:

- 5.1: I interpreted as "drums" since those make a "terminal network", but since it only shows a single drum at the terminal screen I guess you could go with "drum".
- 5.4: I think that's a cool detail and can be used
- 5.12: sounds good
- 5.22: to me they are trying to make a distinction to vs a typical Demon God/魔神, hence "Demonic God", so not synonimous.
- 5.23: other tracks indirectly refer to characters so I think this is a vague reference to Hikawa, not a typo. But it doesn't come too clear in English, perhaps "My God and the Still Demon Lord" or something.
- 5.25: no idea what are they going for so I left it alone.
-5.26: with 者 it's very common to use 者達 for plural/those. So I think they refer to Lucifer here.

As for grammar, feel free to tweak. Changes in the other discs I think look good.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
There's a couple you missed here. "TALK" is based on "Encounter" from SMT1, "Fiend" is from SMT1 (PS1 version), and "Metatron" is based on "Law" and "Epilogue" from SMT1.
Nice catches, I was aware of these ones, but it appears that I overlooked them.
Interestingly, in the Fiend theme is you can actually hear the melody for "Memory Recover" from SMTII in the background, albeit at a faster pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
@BlazingAbyss - for the rare tracks translation (I did) comments:

- 5.1: I interpreted as "drums" since those make a "terminal network", but since it only shows a single drum at the terminal screen I guess you could go with "drum".
- 5.4: I think that's a cool detail and can be used
- 5.12: sounds good
- 5.22: to me they are trying to make a distinction to vs a typical Demon God/魔神, hence "Demonic God", so not synonimous.
- 5.23: other tracks indirectly refer to characters so I think this is a vague reference to Hikawa, not a typo. But it doesn't come too clear in English, perhaps "My God and the Still Demon Lord" or something.
- 5.25: no idea what are they going for so I left it alone.
-5.26: with 者 it's very common to use 者達 for plural/those. So I think they refer to Lucifer here.

As for grammar, feel free to tweak. Changes in the other discs I think look good.
Thanks a lot for your thoughts, I'll go ahead and change Amala Drums to Amala Drum and Wicked Soul to Spirit of Misfortune.

As for 5.12 which do you think sounds better "Shame of the Manikins" or "Disgrace of the Manikins?" I think I might be leaning a little more towards the latter myself.

5.23 Is there a part of the title that could be interpreted as "Still?" That might actually make some sense as Hikawa's ambition is to create a "world of stillness." If so could it also be interpreted as "Demon Lord of Stillness?" that might work since the term "stillness" is used multiple times when referring to Hikawa and his faction.

Just to clarify, were you giving the okay on my proposed chances for the vanilla and Maniax titles? If so do you have any specific thoughts on the vanilla version ones?

Edit: Also, I just noticed, but isn't "通常戦闘" more commonly translated as "Normal Battle" instead of "Common Battle?" I suppose it's synonymous either way though.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jan 14, 2022 at 02:36 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:21 AM
VGMdb Advisor

5.12 I think the later is clearer.
5.23 Since "ice" is "water in solid state" = 'still', I see enough the correlation with Hikawa's Reason to make it a bit clearer, though I tried to avoid directly referencing "stillness" (I value vagueness in translations when the source is meant to be vague).

US Maniax names look good to me. OST mostly ok, dunno if US terms or JP terms are preferred. アラディア神 降臨 this is kinda idiomatic in Japanese so either hyphen or not is ok. 再生 has more tones of "regeneration", "reproduction", "re-creation" meaning while "playback" doesn't sound very in line with game and other titles.

As for 通常 I think it has more tones of "conventional" so I prefer "common".
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:00 PM

Alright, I'll go ahead and switch the aforementioned Maniax titles as well as 2.11 & 5.12 then. As for 5.23, I'll let you decided for that one.

Did you have a preference between "Recovery Spring" / "Recovery Fountain?" (1.13)

Also for 1.21, do you think it should be changed and if so should we go with to "Joke," "Jest" or "Playing the Fool?" ("おどけ")

Given the context for 5.9 ("カブキチョウのあいつ") do you think "That Guy of Kabukicho," "That Guy at Kabukicho" or "That Guy in Kabukicho" sounds best? I'm thinking "at" since it'll be consistent with 5.11, "Hijiri at Asakusa."

Lastly for "ヤヒロノヒモロギ" do you think we should write it out as "Yahirono Himorogi" like the English translation did or leave it as "Yahiro no Himorogi?" I'm curious if the spelling will remain the same for the HD Remaster or not.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Nov 17, 2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor

1.13 Fountain perhaps.

1.21 I think they use おどけ here to describe the scene, so "playing the fool" would be a bit more exact. But I like to mimic the general "style" of the original, so I'd try to use single, descriptive word here, maybe "Tomfoolery".

5.9 "at" I guess, but since あいつ is pronoun-like in Japanese I don't it "that guy" sounds too good in English used in sentences like that.

2.19 Maybe leave it. I think "yahirono" is more of an style choice than a mistranslation though.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
5.9 "at" I guess, but since あいつ is pronoun-like in Japanese I don't it "that guy" sounds too good in English used in sentences like that.
Are there any alternatives that you'd recommend? I'm not really too sure what other phrases would work here.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 04:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Couldn't really think of anything other than what I used ("The Guy of Kabukicho"). But then again, that's just my impression and maybe people do use "that guy" casually like that.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 06:05 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

This one is already showing up in the wild. Looks like there was some event where they were selling them before the release date.

https://twitter.com/eritama_game/sta...91263347179521
Old Dec 16, 2020, 05:34 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I added images for this one: case (front, back, spine), Obi, booklet (front, back, pages), both trays, and all discs.