VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 13, 2010, 10:04 PM

Default Indicators of a Good Video Game Album

Here are some indicators I use:

(1) Certain artists/game series
-Yuzo Koshiro, Shoji Meguro, (add your own here that are consistently good).
(2) Longer than average track durations
-Idea here is that more effort was put into the track and that it is fully fleshed out, i.e. Motoi Sakuraba's "Beyond the Beyond"
(3) Piano album
-I have yet to hear a bad piano vgm album--yea, most these guys start off playing the piano.
(4) Number of tracks
-The less tracks, the less filler. Tales of Symphonia 2 suffers terribly from this. I'd rather have 1 cd with great tracks every track than 5 cds with a small amount of good tracks scattered throughout.
(5) Vinyl release??
-I find that in music in general vinyl releases can be expected to be better albums/releases than cds (who wants to press shit vinyls compared to 1cent cds).

That's all I can think of right now. I was thinking that (2) and (3) are more attributed to arrange albums. I only got serious about collecting vgm in 2007, so I'm sure there are much better indicators from our vgm vets.

Last edited by Vert1; May 13, 2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:35 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Great music is all I ask for. And a few super awesome tracks mean more to me than several merely good tracks. Better tracks will connect with me on new levels and result in more plays. I rarely listen to music on anything but my computer or iPod, so I can filter out any less desirable tracks. Filler tracks now only bother me with the possibility of unnecessarily raising the price.

I'd have to say while the items you mentioned are good, and applied to me in the past, I no longer hold them in high regard. Most notable, just about every composer I enjoy has released albums that I simply don't care for. Artist name is not important; it's the work itself that garners the attention.