VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:34 PM

I think Dodonpachi's OST was composed by Ryuichi Yabuki. The staff roll doesn't mention Eddie You or Andrew Persons Lin

Designer : Naoki Ogiwara, Akira Wakabayashi, Hiroyuki Tanaka, Junya Inoue, Riichirou Nitta
Programmer : Tsuneki Ikeda, Satoshi Kohyama, Makoto Watanabe, Takashi Ichimura
Special Thanks : Toshiaki Tomizawa, Atunori Aburatani, Ryuichi Yabuki
Producer : Kenichi Takano

As far as I know, Persons Lin is the sound director of IGS and he only composed the music for DDP2.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:44 PM

According to the advertisement, this will feature both the original music as well as remastered music for all three games. At least, that's what i gather from the online translation services:

「首領蜂」「怒首領蜂」「怒首領蜂II」オリジナルBGMのマスターver46曲、
基盤新規収録ver45曲の全91曲収録。
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritsukai View Post
I think Dodonpachi's OST was composed by Ryuichi Yabuki. The staff roll doesn't mention Eddie You or Andrew Persons Lin
Umm. I just took the credit from the other release, but I don't have any source otherwise so it could be wrong, too.

Btw, thanks for letting me know about International Games System. I remember reading rumors that both Eddie You and Andrew Persons Lin were aliases of some Japanese, but they're apparently Taiwanese so it could be after all just wrong as well ;p

Last edited by Cedille; Oct 9, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:05 PM

I've found Eddie Yao and Parsonslin on various IGS games.

Last edited by KAI; Oct 9, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:06 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Can someone please translate this part of SuperSweep's description of the album? It talks about what the difference between the two discs is:

Quote:
Disc1にはオリジナルBGMをクリアな音質で堪能できる開発マスターver、 サターン版オリジナルステージBGM、 ボイスコレクションを収録。 Disc2にはアーケードの熱い興奮がよみがえる基板新規収録verを収録。
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:55 PM

The 1st disc has the master version of the soundtracks, the original stage BGM from DDP Saturn's port and the voice collection. The 2nd includes the arcade version of the soundtracks (DP/DDP - mono stream, DDP2 - PCM)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:53 PM

Not sure if PlayStation should be selected if this album is supposed to contain the arcade and Saturn version's soundtracks (and some prototype), but apparently not the PlayStation ports. I know our platform becomes a pretty dysfunctional field once there is more than one game, and shouldn't be so anal though.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:22 AM
VGMdb Advisor

anyone know if CDJ or anyone else is going to stock this? I thought CDJ normally stocked SuperSweep records but I don't see it there...
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:17 AM

Pat, I imagine it will be up on the CDJapan site eventually. The same thing happened with Dragon Spirit I believe. (11/30 is the general release date for this and Rockman EXE so it might not be made aware to CDJapan at this time).
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:00 AM
Trusted Editor

You should just drop them a mail asking whether they're going to stock it. I usually got very quick replies for such cases in the past.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:00 PM
VGMdb Advisor

This now appears on CDJ.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SRIN-1107
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:16 PM

I'm surprised Square Enix isn't trying to kill them for DDPII's ripping from the FFIX battle theme; stage 3, I think.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
I'm surprised Square Enix isn't trying to kill them for DDPII's ripping from the FFIX battle theme; stage 3, I think.
Yeah, the stage 3 boss theme is definitely FFIX battle theme. It's something I've noticed for quite some time now. They probably haven't said anything because they don't know about it. They are two very different companies with very different style games.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
According to the advertisement, this will feature both the original music as well as remastered music for all three games. At least, that's what i gather from the online translation services:

「首領蜂」「怒首領蜂」「怒首領蜂II」オリジナルBGMのマスターver46曲、
基盤新規収録ver45曲の全91曲収録。
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritsukai View Post
The 1st disc has the master version of the soundtracks, the original stage BGM from DDP Saturn's port and the voice collection. The 2nd includes the arcade version of the soundtracks (DP/DDP - mono stream, DDP2 - PCM)

So it's not a remaster, but master - kinda like Sonic original Nakamura tapes?

If so, are the "master" tracks in SRIN-1107 the same as the "original version" tracks in PCCB-00184 (1995)?

Considering also these releases:

SGCD-0002 (1998)

SCDC-00126 (2001)

Is SRIN-1107 the first time "master" tracks for DDP are published on cd?

Last edited by The Gambler; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 01:22 AM

Ok, had a quick spin at both discs, and the DDP version I'm familiar with is definitely the one I listen on disc 1. That means the playstation port uses these "master" tracks.

So, what's the situation here, exactly? It's either:

-they did compose at full quality but had to downscale tracks for the PCB. That would explain why the second disc sounds noticeably less impressive to me; then they could use their original full quality tracks for the PS/SS ports thanks to CD;

-or instead, the "arcade" tracks are the original compositions, which were arranged at a later time for the console ports?

Liner notes and tracklist translations added to this entry would be appreciated.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 09:23 AM

Most of the Arcade PCBs from the 90's with streamed music had low quality sound. Progear's music for example was downgraded from the master version to be streamed by the CPS2.
Cave's PCBs in particular have terrible sound quality, but they always used the master version of the soundtracks on their ports.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:55 AM

Thanks, that settles it. What about the previous cd releases then... PCCB-00184 (1995), SGCD-0002 (1998), SCDC-00126 (2001). Did they always use the master sound?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 06:10 PM

All of them have master recordings.

Last edited by KAI; Nov 6, 2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAI View Post
Most of the Arcade PCBs from the 90's with streamed music had low quality sound. Progear's music for example was downgraded from the master version to be streamed by the CPS2.
Cave's PCBs in particular have terrible sound quality, but they always used the master version of the soundtracks on their ports.
Yikes, I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. I thought something was wrong with my sound system when I listened to Donpachi's soundtrack on disc 2. I can deal with subpar recordings and "stripped down" versions, but this may be the worst one I've heard yet. The tracks have random glitches/fadeouts in the middle. The other two games sound much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
Stage 6 -End- feels like it's paying tribute to Chrono Trigger's Undersea Palace. I can't unhear it. Great tune though.

Last edited by GoldfishX; Jan 24, 2023 at 09:07 PM.