VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

A_Rival doing the To The Moon track is great.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:19 PM

I'm much more partial to Disasterpeace's tune in this album.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:09 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I got the Liner Notes in a PDF. Any way I can some how link this to the album?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:36 AM

You can export them into image files like .jpg/.png... Or, well, that's the way I submit digital booklets (example).
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:26 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

If you don't know how to get jpg from a pdf file i can do it. Send me a PM with the pdf uploaded somewhere. (do not post the link publically)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:25 AM
VGMdb Staff

You can also capture the part of the screen where pdf is opened, many freeware tools finish the job, like:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/greenshot/
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:01 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

My only problem is I'm not sure which resolution to use... Myrkul, I'll PM you so you can handle it. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:36 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Pictures added, thanks Kaleb.G.
I choosed to use the overall very satisfying height of ~1500px for images.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:45 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
You can also capture the part of the screen where pdf is opened, many freeware tools finish the job, like:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/greenshot/
Vastly overengineered solution to the problem. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdfimages
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:44 AM
VGMdb Staff

^ Vastly hmmm... It depends. Open the pdf with any pdf reader, use the rectangle selection area tool of greenshot and you have an image ready for uploading. Practically two steps. I won't argue if the other methods work better for other people, but this one is quick and easy for me.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:40 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
^ Vastly hmmm... It depends. Open the pdf with any pdf reader, use the rectangle selection area tool of greenshot and you have an image ready for uploading. Practically two steps. I won't argue if the other methods work better for other people, but this one is quick and easy for me.
It is _not_ quick. You have to do this selecting and copying for _every_ area you want to copy. Furthermore it involved a needless decompression step. Most of these booklet PDFs will contain DCT-encoded image data anyway, which you would then decompress to RGB and then recompress to JPEG in an additional step. And you have to do this all manually.

With pdfimages it's a one-liner:
pdfimages -j input.pdf outputprefix

Add a resizing step with e.g. ImageMagick and it's two lines. You can even get "the full package" for content which is not only consisting of encapsulated bitmap data: pdftoppm
And even here it's a maximum of two lines.

Your approach is kinda like copy&pasting every single trackname manually to your media player when tagging an album: Select trackname, ctrl+c, switch to media player, select the track, open properties box, ctrl+v, switch back to browser.
I really, _really_, REALLY hope nobody is actually doing this in practice. because it is:
(1) Slow
(2) error-prone
(3) tedious

EDIT: And probably most important:
(4) Totally and utterly defeats the purpose of a computer, which was invented to do the "dirty" work for you.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:57 AM
VGMdb Staff

Why all the fuss? I've maybe done this for maximum 6-7 images (digital booklet "scans") that I've uploaded here, and only for here, I don't have a need to 'deconstruct' loads of pdf files so why would I download source files of that tool, compile a package (if it can be done for windows, never used linux), use a command line on something that I have spent some 10 minutes altogether?

I really, _really_, REALLY hope you don't think everybody wants or even knows how to use command line tools
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:14 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Why all the fuss? I've maybe done this for maximum 6-7 images (digital booklet "scans") that I've uploaded here, and only for here, I don't have a need to 'deconstruct' loads of pdf files so why would I download source files of that tool, compile a package (if it can be done for windows, never used linux), use a command line on something that I have spent some 10 minutes altogether?
You miss the point: This was about you claiming that your method is "quick". I've just proven that this is entirely wrong. Your argument about the "setup time" doesn't hold, this is easily amortized by the time you save not clicking around through loads of pages. The amount of digitally distributed albums containing a "booklet" is going to increase in the next years, so this is very much a valid argument.

See also:
dancey's post
138MB PDF, probably quite the page count. You don't want to apply your "method" here.

Furthermore:
You don't need to compile anything. You can easily use a precompiled binary. E.g. there are Win32 binaries of the xpdf tools directly available here. Also every LaTeX distribution includes these tools, e.g. TeXLive. For a more complete toolkit you can also use CygWin. Both CygWin's and TexLive's installation don't require any special knowledge.

Quote:
I really, _really_, REALLY hope you don't think everybody wants or even knows how to use command line tools
You're suffering from the "shiny new hammer" syndrome, everything looks like a nail to you. You fail to see that different problems require different tools. And greenshot which is essentially a screenshot tool is not optimal for this job. Yes, it might work for you, with a lot of strings attached. However it's not what you want here, which is a PDF to bitmap renderer or simply a PDF bitmap extractor. The second problem here is that greenshot offers no batch functionality for this kind of job.

I'm not saying that pdftoppm is the optimal tool for the job. But it's much more optimal than greenshot. And no, I don't want to convince anyone to use commandline tools. But I want to convince you to choose a proper tool for a given job.
And in this case this commandline tool does the job perfectly. And you can easily add it to your Explorer's (or whatever filemanager you use) context menu and apply it from there. You won't even see the commandline that way.
This constant fear of Windows users concerning the commandline is totally irrational btw. I'm a happy linux user and I also don't start screaming when I use an application with a graphical interface. Use what's best for the job and saves you time -- time you can invest in more important things (like writing long posts, or listening to game music *g*).
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:43 AM
VGMdb Staff

When did I say it was quick IN GENERAL TERMS? I've said:

Quote:
but this one is quick and easy for me
so I've narrowed it down only to myself right away. Because:
-I use it for digital booklets that have something like 5/6 pages total,
-I have no intention to consider doing this for 138 MB pdf files and similar

So my use is specific for booklets that have one digit number of pages only.

When the time changes and the need to do some work on 'serious' digital booklets, I'll be happy to consider alternatves. Until then I'm fine with the current way and you're fine with yours anyway.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

It would be nice if we could simply have a method to upload PDFs, or at least some standard for converting them to images, but maybe you guys can help develop that. The discussion seems lively, which is quite good.

Myrkul, the images look great! Thanks for the work. =}
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
Trusted Editor

If SS can get the poppler utils running on the server, then it should just be a shell_exec call. I'm not aware of (direct) PHP bindings though.

EDIT:
For demonstration. This is a straight conversion via pdftoppm of the digital booklet coming with Black Original Soundtrack Recording.

Commandline (Rendering to JPEG, 300dpi):
Code:
pdftoppm -jpeg -r 300 "00 Black Original Soundtrack Recording Digital Booklet.pdf" black_digital_booklet
Resulting JPEGs

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Aug 24, 2012 at 01:00 PM.