VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 24, 2011, 02:23 PM

I got this CD from a friend a while back, and after reading over the translation of Akai Katyusha several times, I think I can give an educated guess as to what Maria Tachibana is singing about to the lilt of her balalaika.

The lyrics describe a newborn baby, just brought into the world somewhere in rural Siberia ("Your tears do not come out in this frozen land"). Maria is describing how this newborn maintains its relative innocence, even in the arctic cold of the Siberian tundra.

The mention of not knowing the meaning of hell yet...could be a veiled reference to the hell of the Russian Revolution, which Maria Tachibana was said to have participated in on the side of the Bolsheviks in the Sakura Taisen universe.

As a final reference, the title itself, "Akai Katyusha", makes a mention of the red color of the Russian flag at that time. (I am not sure if this is correct, but it is my belief the Russian word "Katyusha" could translate to "newborn baby".)

Could I get a spot check on the Russian-to-English?