VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:12 AM

Question Anime DVD + OST CD - hate it or...hate it?

Hi,
I am just curious of your opinions. It seems that price for anime soundtrack are quite high - but when I see that my favorite music from my anime series is released as soundtrack CD with DVD...and it is better if it is limited edition DVD with 6 volumes with one soundtrack long max 10-15min ... oh I am so angry.

And best part is if you buy 2 volumes of this crazy combination (like I did with Working!) and than you find that there will be soundtrack CD.

I am now really "enjoying" that the great Blood C music composed by Naoki Sato will be released as DVD bonus soundtrack - and it seems that there will two volumes - which is also "fantastic" thing

But I know that first - we can be glad that there are releasing soundtracks and second - the marketing strategy is aiming to anime series fans not soundtrack and music fans.

So I am curious of your opinions and if you buy DVD´s only for soundtracks

All the best
Porter
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:16 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
No, especially not if the discs contain only 15min of music, like you already mentioned. I listen to albums as a whole, which means that I don't rip them and rearrange/delete/modify/whatever tracks. I put the disc in my player, press play and I expect that I get at least something like 50 minutes of music out of it.

I sometimes make exceptions, but these are rare. E.g. I bought the second Kingdom Hearts piano album, even though it only has 37min of music.

Concerning these limited edition + soundtrack mania that we're seeing recently: Well, I just hope for an official release if something interests me.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Hi,
I actually find this market method rather annoying and disturbing. Its like they are forcing you to buy the rather expensive DVDs to get the soundtrack. I know its all about making money but lets not bankrupt the consumer...

I did buy the first volume of Onegai Teacher just for the soundtrack. Of course there was another volume that contained more music (did not buy). Several years later the complete soundtrack box set was finally released (did buy).

I was very tempted to buy the Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica DVDs just for the soundtrack. But if history is any indication, there *might* be a soundtrack released...someday...I can only hope.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
Trusted Editor

Soundtracks as LE DVD/BR-set bonuses are bloody annoying, especially if there's not gonna be a proper soundtrack release later. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:33 PM

It appears to be one method to get more people in touch with soundtrack CDs (I'm sure the amount usually is higher than for typical OST releases).
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:45 PM

some publishers only release with dvd, they maybe think an official release won't make enough money so they sell with the series
aniplex releases soundtracks months after dvd/bd-only soundtracks (at least I could say more than half of their releases get one)
they probably wait for a certain amount of sales before deciding an official release
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:01 AM

i hate it!bundling the sound track with DVD is freaking nasty...i only wanna get the CD but not the animation.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colette View Post
I actually find this market method rather annoying and disturbing. Its like they are forcing you to buy the rather expensive DVDs to get the soundtrack. I know its all about making money but lets not bankrupt the consumer...

I was very tempted to buy the Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica DVDs just for the soundtrack. But if history is any indication, there *might* be a soundtrack released...someday...I can only hope.
I tottaly agree with you, but unfortunately sometimes they never release the soundtrack ever again. How can we know if that was the last and only chance to get it?

For example: We were lucky with Kara no Kyoukai Music Collection, but BGM soundtracks in other anime such as Haruhi Suzumiya were only released with the first DVD.

Will Madoka OST be released in 2CD-Set? I don't know...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsblade View Post

For example: We were lucky with Kara no Kyoukai Music Collection, but BGM soundtracks in other anime such as Haruhi Suzumiya were only released with the first DVD.

Will Madoka OST be released in 2CD-Set? I don't know...
you must see publishers for that
haruhi is published by kadokawa, I don't remember well but I don't think they release non-bd/dvd soundtrack cds
madoka being published by aniplex, it's another story, you can expect an official cd release
since it's kajiura, there is a high possibility but the date of issue could come later (see with kannagi, an ost like 2 years later so hello madoka ost in 2014 )
Old Mar 5, 2012, 02:17 PM
Trusted Editor

I guess we'll see an official Madoka OST release in the future, given how popular the franchise was and still is. However I really like to know why the official KnK release took so long... maybe Kajiura wanted to polish things up and never got around to do it?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 02:44 PM
VGMdb Staff

Kara no Kyoukai blu-ray box: February 2, 2011
Soundtrack: March 3, 2011

Bakemonogatari blu-ray box: December 21, 2011
Soundtrack: December 21, 2011

Kannagi blu-ray box: May 2, 2012
Soundtrack: May 2, 2012

Madoka soundtrack will be released once Aniplex does a blu-ray box for it.

Edit: I just realized that this does not bode well for Fate/Zero since the initial release is a blu-ray box...

Last edited by cal; Mar 6, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 06:42 AM

Judging from the answers, it seems I'm the only one "satisfied" with the market's current way of doing things. At least they bother to release something.
Quote:
But I know that first - we can be glad that there are releasing soundtracks and second - the marketing strategy is aiming to anime series fans not soundtrack and music fans
I personally think that your first point potentially demolishes ANY kind of complaint about the matter... And you are also correct with your 2nd point: those boxes are mostly aimed at those who want the animation, the enclosed soundtrack with a selection of highlights from the score is just an extra. I can't say I like it that much when they give the customer an "incomplete" release, but the fact I collect VGM helped a lot with that, over the years it became easier to shrug off.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Apr 1, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
Judging from the answers, it seems I'm the only one "satisfied" with the market's current way of doing things. At least they bother to release something.
I have no real issue with that either (besides paying for DVDs I don't even watch). It's better to have such soundtrack releases than none at all. With animations this is even more important than with games as with games the music often can be extracted without voices and sounds effects if necessary, no such luck with animations.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:11 PM

I just found that last two Elements Garden anime projects (Pirates, Symphogear) are released in this bundled DVD+CD editions and they aren´t from Aniplex, so probably no hope for solo soundtracks with releasing of DVD or Blu-Ray box sets.

And when I am talking about boxsets...Hellsing I-V Blu-Ray box with Hayato Matsuo CD. I am sometimes thinking about buying that thing but 190EUR for 45min CD...no.
I hope that with ending of OVA there will be released complete solo soundtrack - best 2 or 3CD set.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:43 PM

As a total soundtrack junkie, I`ll jump at the chance for +CD bonuses. I still remember the day I found a copy of the Ghost in the Shell vol. 1 limited ed rotting in a $1-2.99 bin still in the shrink wrap. It's a little unfair to think so highly of +CDs given Miss Kanno's reputation as a musician, but the fact remains that it was probably the best. Day. Ever.

The only other DVD+CD bundle I got after was Madoka Magica vol 1. Again, totally unfair as the composer was also involved in .hack//, Tsubasa, and later Fate/Zero, but the fact that the soundtracks with games I got didn't disappoint me either helps.

Unfortunately, not many of them are as short as yours was, but I guess that was probably a good amount of the tunes in the volume? I think that the studio budget has a lot to do with how much gets produced. I mean, GITS: SAC had about an hour's worth of tunage. It's all relative, I guess I'm trying to say.