VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:37 PM

Default Best & Worst in your Collection

I saw that some people have recommended album folders in their collections... very cool. Made me think about what my favorite (and least favorite) album in my collection is. Picking a favorite is tough, but I'll go with Vagrant Story. Worst would have to be Cyber Cycles. Bought it sound unheard and Namco let me down. Anyone else?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:04 AM

I don't have a worst album in my collection as of yet since I enjoyed most of them. There is one album I've hardly listened to which is the Promotion 2007.Spring CD. There's some good tracks on here that I like a lot but I don't listen to it as much. Hashimoto is probably my favorite new artist on the cd. As for a favorite album, it'd have to be CODE ZTS LABEL - Selfregards2. It's a collection of various ZTS tracks that hes done over the years. Doesn't entirely cover everything ZTS did but it's a great compilation which I enjoy a lot. 'if it dies rather -short rm-" is my favorite track on the entire album despite it not being as complex as the other songs, I enjoy it a lot personally because the arrangement is done very well and even better than the original too.

I mostly collect doujin CDs now which is why I haven't really encountered a bad album yet. I'm aiming towards stuff I can't find on the net mostly and occasionally nab a few releases that I've already have on my computer.

Last edited by eternal_tsukasa; Nov 20, 2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:01 PM

Best - very difficult, there are too many "top" albums in my collections. Probably The Dig. Or maybe Outcast.

Worst - the worst things are in my movie soundtracks collections, not in game music. In game music, it will be either Virtua Fighter 4 or Metal Gear Solid 2, both of which I can't stand to listen in one go.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:49 AM

Interesting call on VF4. I remember getting the PS2 version and not liking the soundtrack, especially after 1, 2 and 3.

Interesting also that the two top games you mentioned weren't Japanese. This is why I like these topics
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnutz View Post
Interesting also that the two top games you mentioned weren't Japanese. This is why I like these topics
That's because I tend to dislike music in japanese games and in games for console/arcade systems in general.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:53 AM
VGMdb Advisor

By going with only one choice for each, that would be...

Best: Dune - Spice Opera
There's a part due to nostalgia, another for the composer (Stéphane Picq), and the biggest for just how awesome the music is and its impact on me. The mix of electronic new age and ethnic influences not be for everyone though, but it sure is for me!

Worst: Konami All Star Festa '97
Bought this one because it had "Konami" in the title... BIG mistake! Well, Konami sure is a sign of quality when it comes to games and their music, but I guess there are some exceptions. I should have read more about it before purchasing, as if I knew that it contained J-Pop live performances, I would have passed my way. If anyone is interested, it's in my sale list.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:51 AM

The best, in terms of being able to tolerate its totality, from beginning to end, are the Perfect Selection Dracula Battles. I can listen to them endlessly, never experiencing the need or desire to skip tracks. The Valkyrie Profile arrange albums also display this unique phenomenon, the lack of desire to skip tracks.

When it comes to original soundtracks, not arranged, the best are possibly Streets of Rage I & II by Yuzo Koshiro. Again, I do not experience the desire to skip tracks.

There are many soundtracks I think are better than Streets of Rage, but I have to skip tracks. Cyber Org and Guilty Gear XX (Korean version) are examples.

I don't keep horrendous game music albums, like Salamander Remixes, but one of the worst albums I have retained is Xexex Perfect Selection. I have always found those arrangements, with the exception of the first track, to be irritating.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 04:48 PM

I have listened to the Chrono Trigger soundtrack most often, but I love the Halo series music.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 09:44 PM

Best: Xenogears: Creid. That's my all-time favorite album. I also own other favorites, like Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight and Dracula X Chronicles. I'd love to have copies of Actraiser Symphonic Suite and the Dracula Battle albums, but those will probably never be re-released.

Worst: Zelda Box (actually it's the same as the Zelda Sound Collection, only a different label - I should probably upload the info!). It's not that Zelda music sucks, but it just struck me as a poor sound selection and ultimately a complete and utter waste of money. Can't say I was pleased with my R-Type Final purchase, either... That caused me to be MUCH more conservative with my purchases.

Rarest/Most expensive: Factory sealed Dracula X/X68000.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:24 AM

I don't have anything that qualifies as worst, because I only buy things I know I like. No stinkers for me. And choosing a best of all I know is impossible.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:55 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm at the other end of the spectrum as Mika, since my curiosity and insatiable VGM appetite had lead me to dig for and semi-blindly buy all kinds of things which had little or no information about them at all. It was fun to fill in the gaps for series which had holes in them.

The lure of exploring the unknown has a much stronger pull for me than to purchase what I already know is 5-star material, hence I end up uncovering plenty of clunkers to go along with the occasional gems.

Last edited by Carl; Nov 29, 2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 04:58 AM

Yeah, I can digg that. I would probably be the same if my budget allowed me blind purchases. But as it is now, the money I have "reserved" for vgm is so limited that I'll rather get something I know will be worth my money than hope for the best.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 06:14 PM

"Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy, has to be my favorite of the collection. It just puts together all of the feelings of the series in one great CD from the concert.

Dont really have the worst since I enjoy pretty all kinds of music. I have to say the most disappointing outing I had with CD would be the Square Bootleg series. It was all my favorite composers but just not doing anything that really seem liked them. Of course this was the object of the cd's I think, but it was really more different then I expected. Still not the worst, just not the best.