VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 19, 2015, 09:21 AM
VGMdb Staff

For anyone interested, stream of the whole album is officially available on SoundCloud (128 kbps).
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:07 AM

Thanks! It sounds really good, still haven't listened all but in my opinion it can be the best in the series. Really really good.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:52 AM
VGMdb Staff

Ah well, have to say I'm (on the contrary) not really impressed by this OST. I probably belong to the side that expected too much from Jinnouchi, hyped by the quality of Halo 4's 117. Speaking of Halo 4, I actually liked some of Davidge's ideas especially if you don't view the tracks as a Halo OST.

The thing with Jinnouchi is a lot of tracks don't stay in your ears, even sound generic/shallow and sometimes are just too long without variety.

There are cool spots when the old Halo themes are rearranged & all, definitely a nice tribute. That's what Jinnouchi and Sotaro Tojima (audio director) said - respect for old music but at the same time there's a desire to build a new direction, a new sound. The problem is, the new sound isn't awfully interesting for the most part (to me).

Old Halo soundtracks (pre-H4) are still the best, in my humble opinion.

Special mention goes to Light Is Green & Blue Team (which is a new 117 arrange heh).
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
Ah well, have to say I'm (on the contrary) not really impressed by this OST. I probably belong to the side that expected too much from Jinnouchi, hyped by the quality of Halo 4's 117. Speaking of Halo 4, I actually liked some of Davidge's ideas especially if you don't view the tracks as a Halo OST.

The thing with Jinnouchi is a lot of tracks don't stay in your ears, even sound generic/shallow and sometimes are just too long without variety.

There are cool spots when the old Halo themes are rearranged & all, definitely a nice tribute. That's what Jinnouchi and Sotaro Tojima (audio director) said - respect for old music but at the same time there's a desire to build a new direction, a new sound. The problem is, the new sound isn't awfully interesting for the most part (to me).

Old Halo soundtracks (pre-H4) are still the best, in my humble opinion.

Special mention goes to Light Is Green & Blue Team (which is a new 117 arrange heh).
Today I finished to listen it and yes, is very good, but for me Halo 2, Halo 3 and ODST are still the best soundtracks in the series.
I think Halo 5 has better soundtrack than 4, Reach, Wars and CE.

But as you said, sometimes is pretty generic.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 04:34 PM
VGMdb Staff

For reference, O'Donnell and Salvatori are also registered writers for Halo Canticles, The Trials and Blue Team at ASCAP (reuse of the themes). Everything else is solely registered to Jinnouchi.

Last edited by Efendija; Nov 1, 2015 at 04:46 PM.