VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 16, 2020, 01:36 AM
Trusted Editor

I've had my doubts on the legitimacy of this one, but the company have been pretty responsive to e-mails and have gradually updated the legal disclaimer in order to clarify.

It currently says:

"The Chipped Records 7" single release DRINK! - ペプシマン Pepushiman CHIP-01 is a fully licensed product of the 1999 released PS title DRINK! - ペプシマン that covers the use of the said titles music, cover image and title name for one time limited release. The release is approved by the current title license owner 株式会社 MAGES (MAGES. Co. Ltd.) that owns all rights to the DRINK! - ペプシマン title. The release does not have any affiliation with PepsiCo or any of it's partners."
Old Oct 16, 2020, 03:00 AM

Sounds legal to me. Also makes sense that if it's a small label that just starting they search to release a single 7 ''.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 04:17 AM
Trusted Editor

Ah, yeah, my point was that it does sound legit to me as well. Just wanted to include their disclaimer in case anyone else was wondering.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 05:17 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

This is only semi-related, but since we don't have a product page yet for the Pepsiman game, I figure I'd write it here for now.

Takeshi Abo was in charge of sound effects for this game.

Source: https://twitter.com/valsound/status/1318139299057995777
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:30 AM
Trusted Editor

Well, turned out that this was not legit at all: https://twitter.com/Elemhunter1/stat...669348865?s=20

I've marked it as bootleg. Since this has now been confirmed could a mod remove the store page link?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:36 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbtz View Post
Well, turned out that this was not legit at all: https://twitter.com/Elemhunter1/stat...669348865?s=20

I've marked it as bootleg. Since this has now been confirmed could a mod remove the store page link?
Thanks for letting us know.

Last edited by Chris Porter; Jan 22, 2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:42 AM
Trusted Editor

The store page is now updated with the following:

"LEGAL DISCLAIMER
We are aware of the incorrect rumours that the Chipped Records - DRINK! - ペプシマン Pepushiman 7" single is a "bootleg" and we are at the moment discussing the matter with MAGES. Inc. to get it corrected as fast as possible. Please stay tuned."

Now before this they had taken down the original legal disclaimer (quoted in the first post here), which seemed fishy, so I'm not sure what to make of this right now. Something definitely seems off.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 02:30 AM
Trusted Editor

It's been updated again.

Quote:
We would like to start by saying that we are extremely proud that the VGM community cares so deeply about the genres releases "legitimacy" and we have been happy to answer all of your questions regarding our license. We are aware that the low sleeve quality has raised many many eyebrows and we've had many questions about that. As our first release we made some extremely simple errors and due to miscommunication with the pressing plant the sleeve was not printed with the 300dpi quality we wanted it to be and with all the mastering, license and legal fees we simply did not have funds to get a new run on the sleeves.

Other "viral hit" that we have been clearing out with MAGES.Inc is a reply from 5pb. Records to an email from a fan regarding our license. We've have had lengthy discussions with MAGES.Inc and found out that surprisingly MAGES.Inc does not own the rights to the 1999 Pepsiman video games SOUNDTRACK even though they own all of the other rights to it and thus 5pb. Records has nothing to do with it. There was a false assumption we made based on the license deal and it’s documents that were given to us about MAGES.Inc also owning the soundtrack license but that has now been cleared on good terms and understanding. That is also the reason why our license deal made us use the title "Pepushiman" and we were advised to credit MAGES.Inc for legal reasons as they hold part of the titles rights.

All in all this has been a extremely valuable learning experience about what kind of a tangled web it really is to release a licensed video game vinyl when the rights have been bought and sold multiple times after the original companies are long gone.
FUN FACT: The 1999 cult classic Pepsiman was developed and published by KID that declared bankruptcy in 2006. After this Pepsimans intellectual properties were acquired by the CyberFront Corporation and soon after that Kaga Create then bought CyberFront Corporation. After Kaga Create closed down, 5pb. bought Cyberfront's assets but that did not include the soundtrack of Pepsiman, that was already sold earlier!
I'm reading that as they thought they had the soundtrack rights licensed from Mages, but Mages never had it to begin with and Chipped seemingly didn't realize this. It sounds like they have cleared the misunderstanding with each other, but I'm reading it as the soundtrack rights still has not been cleared, so I figure this should still be kept marked as a bootleg.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbtz View Post
The store page is now updated with the following:

"LEGAL DISCLAIMER
We are aware of the incorrect rumours that the Chipped Records - DRINK! - ペプシマン Pepushiman 7" single is a "bootleg" and we are at the moment discussing the matter with MAGES. Inc. to get it corrected as fast as possible. Please stay tuned."

Now before this they had taken down the original legal disclaimer (quoted in the first post here), which seemed fishy, so I'm not sure what to make of this right now. Something definitely seems off.
And now they've completely disappeared, much like every other bootleg production that gets busted. Keep an eye out for any new suspicious vinyl productions, these guys usually just change their name and continue as normal.