VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:08 AM

Oooo....where did this news come out? I didn't see anything on the official BoF media pages...
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:12 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It was added on some shop sites:
http://www.neowing.co.jp/product/CPCA-10391
http://tower.jp/item/4048561/%E3%83%...83%83%E3%82%AF
Old Sep 24, 2015, 06:34 PM

Oh neat! So much closer to finding out who the composers are...

I actually recorded a bunch of tracks from the game's beta. I should throw those up on YouTube. BoF's a small enough franchise where I don't think anybody would get mad :P
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:27 PM

Here are all the music tracks I've got from the Android Beta of the game..enjoy!

New tracks start from #13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2a...0QlAi&index=13
Old Sep 25, 2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukaCola View Post
Here are all the music tracks I've got from the Android Beta of the game..enjoy!

New tracks start from #13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2a...0QlAi&index=13
Thank you for posting this!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 06:10 PM

Oh dear, oh dear.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 09:07 AM

It seems that E-Capcom doesn't like international credit cards anymore? It refuses to accept my American credit card, even though I've ordered from them before last year without a hitch.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 09:21 AM

Doesn't seem that they ship outside of Japan you would probably have to go through a middle man
Old Nov 9, 2015, 06:17 PM
Trusted Editor

Delayed per CDJ via Sony Music

Quote:
I'm sending you this email to let you know that we just received an update from the Sony Music Entertainment informing us that the release of the item below will be postponed, unfortunately.

Breath Of Fire 6 Original Soundtrack - Myakudo -
Game Music
Release Date: December 9, 2015
Catalog Number: CPCA-10391

No details about the reason has been provided.

At this time, there is no indication to show whether or not it might be released at a later time in the future.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 03:33 PM

Oh, it seems we finally have a composer name. Tamiya Terashima, eh? I had never heard of him before this, but he's been around for a long time. Seems he was at some point a regular Falcom arranger.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 07:06 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Does anyone know where the new release date comes from?

EDIT: guess not. I've reverted it to the old date.

Last edited by Illidan; Jan 7, 2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 06:40 AM
Trusted Editor

In case anyone missed it, this has a release date again.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:46 PM

We have a tracklist. Needs to be translated though: http://www.capcom-s.jp/bof/goods/cd/

Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

JASRAC has a bunch of tracks registered from the game that aren't present here, so it looks like this is an incomplete release.

Quote:
竜言歌《恐怖》(エレナ)
竜言歌《星》(ペリドット)
竜言歌《月》(ニーナ)
竜言歌《憎悪》(黒竜の巫女)
竜言歌《憎悪》(エレナ)
竜言歌《星》(フルートの旋律)
至祭 -SHISAI-
竜言 -RYUUGON-
広都 -KOUTO-
深蝕 -SHINSHOKU-
跳人 -HANETO-
炎威 -ENI-
迷果 -MEIKA-
麗雅 -REIGA-
戦霧 -SENMU-
戦季 -SENKI-
EDIT: Phonograph noticed the site that tracklist screenshot came from says this album is part 1 (第一弾), so it looks like they're intending to do at least one more of these yeah.

Last edited by CHz; Feb 4, 2016 at 03:45 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 03:58 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Oh, it seems we finally have a composer name. Tamiya Terashima, eh? I had never heard of him before this, but he's been around for a long time. Seems he was at some point a regular Falcom arranger.
Terashima is great! He did the "Electric Orchestra" arranges for Falcom. I also remember that he composed the music for the anime "Key: The Metal Idol" (a personal favorite from my childhood).

He hasn't done a lot in recent years. I'm really excited to hear what he cooked up for BoF 6!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 07:48 AM

I enjoyed his work on Tales of Earthsea. Will be interesting how the music turns out for BOF6.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 04:47 AM

the bof/goods/cd link page has a (bottom) notice of ost vol.2 in production
Old Apr 18, 2016, 02:26 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Friends,

I've taken a *rough* *rough rough rough* stab at an English translation. Some things:

1) this Kanji-pairing stuff is like interpreting poetry. There are many meanings, and the Romaji titles to the right do more to hinder than help (their pronunciations don't make sense in Japanese or Chinese, and I mention the latter because...)
2) some of these Kanji pairs don't seem to exist in modern Japanese dictionaries: they are only found in Chinese. So someone who has familiarity with both Chinese and Japanese may be able to make more sense of these.
3) the triple kanji "Ryugen'uta" I've rendered as "Dragon Song." However, that may as well be "Ryu'uta." The "Gen" specifies that it is a piece of music that has words ... traditionally, that is the definition of a song. But "Chant" might also satisfy. These seem like pieces of vocal music in-game used by certain characters to perform certain rites (probably, changing into a dragon, or summoning a dragon). Any takers on this? Feel free to change.

And yeah ... in general, feel free to examine and re-examine and change. I can say now that the tracks I feel least comfortable with are:

03 Enticed Interest -YUUSOKU- (something like "being lured" here ... this is beautiful enigmatic music, though. Given franchise history, I would think this has something to do with protagonist being lured away from a town to confront a dragon...?)

04 Rakshasa -RASATSU- (I got that from translating from Chinese to English)

05 Extinguish Corruption -MEKKAI- (the name doesn't fit the music, but the first kanji definitely has to do with completely destroying/annihilating/removing and the second is definitely corruption/rot/evil influence)

06 Astonishing Sky -KYOUTEN- (lots of synonyms, not sure what to do with it)

08 Bodhisattva of Love -AIBO- (Bodhisattva? That's the only recognized anything-thing for that individual kanji, and pairing it with other kanji doesn't seem to alter its meaning. So ... I guess?)

13 Divine Flower -SINKOU- (it's the same Kanji as Shenhua, from Shenmue. So I think that's right. But double check please?)

16 Comforting Wave -RAKUROU- (just ... weird kanji)

20 Furious Gong -DORA- (that second Kanji, the *only* thing I could find for it was "Gong" -- any other takers?)

24 Interrupted Battle -ZETSUTOU- (this is either "interrupted battle" or "absolute battle," but the music to me suggests interruption, not totality)

25 Peaceful Music -WARAKU- (too many synonyms for each Kanji...)

28 Hidden Prayer -NEON- (if you listen to the song, it doesn't fit the name...)

30 Force of Fear -RIPPAKU- (lit. "Fear Force" in order of kanji's appearance. makes no sense to me.)
Old Apr 18, 2016, 03:31 PM

"their pronunciations don't make sense in Japanese"

forgive my frankness, but who the fuck do you think you are to say that?
expert in japanese? if so, I forgive you ;p

on another note, I translated that ost long ago (just a little example: 22 Paragon)
btw, jasrac gives Ryugonka, not ryugen'uta (ahah uta ;p)
Old Apr 18, 2016, 05:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't really feel like weighing in on the two-character song titles, but "Examined Fate" for the subtitle of track 2 is probably wrong. Shirabe can also mean "melody" and it's a pretty common forced reading of 旋律 in songs; it's just changing the pronunciation, not the meaning of the word entirely.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 06:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
"their pronunciations don't make sense in Japanese"

forgive my frankness, but who the fuck do you think you are to say that?
expert in japanese? if so, I forgive you ;p
Yeah, I don't need to be an expert in the language itself per se. I need to be able to understand dictionaries and general usage of Japanese language, which I can. Using J-EDICT it's clear to see what the most common pronunciations are for this or that kanji, as well as *all known* pronunciations for this or that kanji. There were a handful where I couldn't even find a known pronunciation, defined or no. Most of the romaji names next to the kanji actually come out as pronunciations that literally are human names (male or female, or surnames). Which, I suppose, gets me to CHz's point about "Examined Fate" being wrong. Why would they specify the "Shirabe" hiragana above the kanji if the meaning wasn't changed from the "expected" reading of Senritsu?

And finally ... if you already did an English translation, why not post it here? I think "Paragon" is a great translation for tr.22. Would've saved me some time in any case. Please make the changes as you see fit. But maybe ease off on the "who the fuck do you think you are" when I'm plenty intelligent to make the statement that the romaji next to the paired kanji is generally unhelpful for translation and is mostly there for stylistic purposes, or to hint at multiple meanings (which, again, sucks for translating).
Old Apr 18, 2016, 08:14 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Using J-EDICT it's clear to see what the most common pronunciations are for this or that kanji, as well as *all known* pronunciations for this or that kanji. There were a handful where I couldn't even find a known pronunciation, defined or no. Most of the romaji names next to the kanji actually come out as pronunciations that literally are human names (male or female, or surnames).
Aside from a few fanciful tracks (probably the ones you mentioned where you couldn't find a known pronunciation, like 18), most of those titles use pretty straightforward on readings of the characters, which are the readings you usually use in compounds (which the titles are). The pronunciations are for the most part way less weird than the actual titles themselves, honestly.

Quote:
Which, I suppose, gets me to CHz's point about "Examined Fate" being wrong. Why would they specify the "Shirabe" hiragana above the kanji if the meaning wasn't changed from the "expected" reading of Senritsu?
Using the kanji for one word with hiragana to change its pronunciation to that of a synonym because it "sounds better" (as in, more consonant) is yet another type of Japanese wordplay. Two particularly common examples that you'll find on a bunch of albums here are 永遠(とわ) and 運命(さだめ). I have seen this specific 旋律(しらべ) pair several times before as well, although just once in VGM (on SaGa Frontier).

Using hiragana to change the meaning of the word is definitely something that happens, but that's not the only use of forcing hira and I'm positive it's not happening here.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Sweet. Thanks for the additional insight CHz. The "alternate reading" hiragana to make it sound more fitting ... hmm. I did not know that.

And that the pairings make the new pronunciation ... I guess all I can say is they must be at least partially obscure, based on Google and J-EDICT both having no idea what the pairings were in like 70% of the cases.

If you'd be at all interested, I could really use some clean-up on the English ver. of the tracklist that's up now. Of all the translations I've attempted, this was probably the single hardest one I've ever tried to do.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:

And finally ... if you already did an English translation, why not post it here? I think "Paragon" is a great translation for tr.22. Would've saved me some time in any case. Please make the changes as you see fit. But maybe ease off on the "who the fuck do you think you are" when I'm plenty intelligent to make the statement that the romaji next to the paired kanji is generally unhelpful for translation and is mostly there for stylistic purposes, or to hint at multiple meanings (which, again, sucks for translating).
about "who the fuck", it's sort of angry reaction to your way to speak of japanese language --japs know what they make with their lang, not the translators. no offense btw

Last edited by Phonograph; Jun 20, 2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
If you'd be at all interested, I could really use some clean-up on the English ver. of the tracklist that's up now. Of all the translations I've attempted, this was probably the single hardest one I've ever tried to do.
Like I tossed out there earlier, I'm not super interested in fumbling my way through this one. I don't really feel like I can do an—I'm not really sure what's a good word to describe this kind of Japanese titling, "impressionistic"?—tracklist like this justice without completely manhandling it. Bless you for being way braver than me, though.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 04:22 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
the problem is that I quit doing anything for vgmdb last october, editing/submitting and I quit irc one month ago
I will keep on posting the forums during some weeks and bye bye (feel forced to explain why even if I didn't want)
so I never intended to post my tracklists or anything
however, I will post on my blog page later (I forbid any add/edit coming from my utakyoku@blogspot tho)

(about "who the fuck", it's sort of angry reaction to your way to speak of japanese language --japs know what they make with their lang, not the translators. no offense btw)
No one cares about this except you. It is still the most childish reason I've ever seen to stop contributing to an entire community. If you're doing it out of some kind of petition that you don't agree with a staff decision, fine. But don't sit here and post passive aggressive judgmental bullshit whenever someone who still contributes decides to ask for help.

A community is more than just one person or one decision. I don't agree with a lot of things here but I don't stomp my foot down and pout like a child and refuse to contribute. Get over yourself. While your contributions and knowledge would be beneficial to the community as a whole, that kind of attitude is not so if you can't separate the two, just move on.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 05:23 AM

it's more global than that, some little things I can't bear anymore
I thought, with time, I could try to "live" with vgmdb common sense but I realized some months ago that I can't
so I won't force myself to continue something I don't want
Old Apr 19, 2016, 09:32 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't follow everything, but Phonograph I appreciate your posting a blog post later. Let me know when it's up.

Also, I understand (I think) your passion for the Japanese language and wanting to defend it. So it was a moment of passion and I'm breathing easy. Thanks for having that passion, especially for "tough ones" like BoF 6. I really do like "Paragon" for tr.22, can't wait to see what else you were able to put together.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I tweaked some tracks as I saw fit.
But I don't think any direct translation will be very interesting.
This OST is like Drakengard 3, with titles more "evocative" than sensical.

You could try some fun combowords instead, ex:
- 05 ruin + demolition = ruinition
- 15 sacred + sacrifice = sacredfice
Etcetera :3
Old Apr 20, 2016, 05:29 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I tweaked some tracks as I saw fit.
But I don't think any direct translation will be very interesting.
This OST is like Drakengard 3, with titles more "evocative" than sensical.

You could try some fun combowords instead, ex:
- 05 ruin + demolition = ruinition
- 15 sacred + sacrifice = sacredfice
Etcetera :3
You're right, this is eerily similar to DOD3's OST.

I am very thankful for your fix from "Boddhisatva" to "enlightenment. I mean, I knew that's the tree under which the Buddha was first enlightened. But I didn't think to push that word a step forward.

05 ... there is a word in English, "ruination," do you think that would work?

The 15 portmanteau, not so much. I think Sacred Offering or Sacred Sacrifice are both good. Both phrases are common usage in English (google says so, and google knows all).

But yeah ... your touch-ups are very helpful. Thanks for the contribution on this mess of a tracklist!!