VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Nov 15, 2023, 08:15 PM

Been so long since I've posted here...

I have an inquiry that's been nagging me for a while, so here goes :

Given that Uchu Young and Techno The Future are on here, any reason why we couldn't get his two albums from the "Cyborg '80s" band that were released on the Super Sweep label as well ?

I understand that linking some particular artists might be a bit difficult, but there are some VGM ties, especially on the first album. It was produced by Shinji Hosoe, for one. Another interesting bit is that the two remixes were done by Polymoog. The same Polymoog that was or still is part of the Elektel unit, responsable for a few tracks on various Beatmania IIDX releases and Space Invaders Daisakusen, to name a few things they've been credited for.

Just wondering is all

I've just noticed that he is no longer part of Super Sweep, here's hoping he is successful on his own.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 05:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

They'd be eligible for the website, just didn't have enough information about them to comfortably add them I think
Old Nov 16, 2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
They'd be eligible for the website, just didn't have enough information about them to comfortably add them I think
Hey CHz, long time no see !

Yes, I'm well aware of the absolute lack of english information on these albums and the group itself. They're so obscure that their albums aren't even on YouTube. Crazy, huh ?

I first bought Switched on Cyborg at Cocoebiz/VGM World nearly 2 decades ago. The cover alone got my curiosity. It was one of those blind buys that came out to be great. I unfortunately sold that copy (along with the follow-up, Rock n' Roll for Man Machine, over a decade ago when I cleared (almost) all my collection.

I can't remember what the catalog number was, but I recall reading a thread stating that it once possesed the same # as Doki Doki Idol Starseeker. I managed to get it again about a year ago through a seller on Amazon. This one is SRIN-0005. It seems to be legit as the Super Sweep label and all is there, even on the OBI. Could it be a reprint ?

This one I wouldn't have a problem providing info and scans. It's just tracing all the artists involved and digging up if some (aside Zunba and Polymoog) have actual vgm-related credits for linking that could be a pain in the neck.

Concerning the follow-up, Rock n' Roll for Man Machine, I recall not getting into it, if at all. All of the yummy spacey synth-pop and vocoder stuff that was in Switched is gone on this one. FWIW, I've seen that it's still available on CD Japan if their listing is accurate. Given the band's obscurity, I wouldn't be surprised that they still have plenty of stock left. Not sure if I really want to buy it again, just to be turned off as quickly as the original purchase.

How do I provide information ? Feel free to send me a PM.

Whew ! Wall of text, sorry about that. A bad habit of mine :P
Old Nov 17, 2023, 12:25 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Hello! 👋

Scans would be the best source of information. If you happen to have a full set of scans for the albums, that would be perfect, but even if you only have like the front and the back, that should be enough to get some basic release information going. Upload what you've got and send them to me in whatever way's comfortable to you (this thread or a PM is fine), and I'll take a look and see what we've got.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Hello! 👋

Scans would be the best source of information. If you happen to have a full set of scans for the albums, that would be perfect, but even if you only have like the front and the back, that should be enough to get some basic release information going. Upload what you've got and send them to me in whatever way's comfortable to you (this thread or a PM is fine), and I'll take a look and see what we've got.
That works. I'll get it done at some point next week.

Just so you know, I have no intention of getting the follow-up album. I recall seeing scans of the covers and liners through Google Images, however.

There's this site that has credits and tracklists :

Rock n' Roll for Man Machine

http://reryo.blog98.fc2.com/blog-entry-206.html

Switched-On Cyborg

http://reryo.blog98.fc2.com/blog-entry-817.html

Perhaps this can give you a headstart before I get the scans done.

Hopefully it helps