VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 18, 2017, 03:28 PM

I popped in the Soma Bringer OST recently. I was thinking about how perfectly its dungeon and field music match the style of Xenoblade 2. For example:

Amati Ruins - The Seal
Run Through the Flames ~ Largo Bridge
Temple of the Sandy Coffin
Snowy Piedmont
The Great Forest, Jounel

Mitsuda really put a huge effort forth on that soundtrack. Not only was it his last full-length RPG OST, it was his last full-length work supervised by Tetsuya Takahashi. I'm hoping Xenoblade 3 will be the real return of Takahashi x Mitsuda (and Kunihiko Tanaka, too).

Last edited by Jormungand; Jan 18, 2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 04:27 PM
VGMdb Staff

I'll be okay with anyone as long as he doesn't bring back Sawano.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 04:54 PM
Trusted Editor

Looks like things are getting serious now:
レコーディング準備
Old Mar 16, 2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Looks like things are getting serious now:
レコーディング準備
I have such conflicting feelings right now. On the one hand, that's a lot of Mitsuda (and what we see is only part of the whole score which isn't finished recording yet).

On the other hand, it's all manuscript, likely implying it's all orchestral stuff. The sample at the end of the XB2 trailer is really beautiful, but my favorite Mitsuda work is always of a hybridized, mixed folk/ethnic/electronic/rock/jazz influence. It's very rhythmic, tuneful, wild, and occasionally dangerous. Can't I hear more like these?:

Illegal Messenger
Blitzkreig (Armodyne, PS2)
West Tumbara (Dark)
Path to Enlightenment
Old Smudged Map
Battle of the 4 Deadly Sins
The Test

etc.

All perfect for the Xeno universe.

Maybe it's not all for the orchestra and he's recording with other ensembles in the same studio. (fingers crossed)

Thanks for pointing this out LiquidAcid. It's great news either way. Mitsuda has always put in a huge effort for his friend Takahashi.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 09:57 AM
Trusted Editor

To some extend I can understand you Jormungand, but I'm not going to (pre-)judge this until I've actually heard the final piece of work. In particular because Mitsuda is not the only one on board. And sometimes amazing things can happen when multiple composers are working together on a single project. With the emphasis on "together", so not in the sense: "everyone does their own thing, and then later all tracks are tossed in one big bucket".

I'm definitely looking forward to this, even if it doesn't turn out to be a second Xenogears or Chrono Cross. I have the impression that Mitsuda really wants to work more with orchestra at the moment, despite him still struggling with the process (IMO Valkyria was OK, but not great). Also, I expect Mariam Abounnasr to return as orchestrator, so this should be a good opportunity to flex her muscles.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 05:48 AM

Jormungand, as much as I enjoy those Mitsuda tunes you posted, I really love the fuller sound of a live orchestra. I've been listening to the Azure Revolution OST and I think it's some of Mitsuda's best and most intricate work to date.

Some of my favourite from the album:
Battle with Maxim
Young Soldiers Charging Towards Victory
Threat of the Ruzhien Empire
Richer
Romance of Two

Last edited by Uaithne; Mar 23, 2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:28 PM

Mitsuda in-studio with ACE+

From left to right, Kenji Hiramatsu, Tomori Kudo, Mitsuda, uh...some drummer, and Hiroyo "Chico" Yamanaka.

Mitsuda also had Hitoshi Watanabe in the house for a recording session. Watanabe, for those unaware, is a fairly prolific bassist who played on Small Two of Pieces for Xenogears. Watanabe is also a frequent Yoko Kanno collaborator, and his playing (both on acoustic and electric bass) is exceptional.

Uaithne: I've refrained from listening to those samples just yet. I will be playing the game in the coming months, then I can freely listen to the OST. I believe you though.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 02:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
some drummer
Yuu "masshoi" Yamauchi
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:12 AM

I've been keeping up to date on XB2 recording photos. I can't remember seeing Manami Kiyota in any of them?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:45 AM
VGMdb Staff

Ah, I must have missed this one: https://www.facebook.com/manamikiyot...10951518980827
Old Nov 9, 2017, 03:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

New VGMO interview: http://www.vgmonline.net/yasunorimitsudainterview3/

There's some interesting tidbits such as his desire to produce some original albums.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
New VGMO interview: http://www.vgmonline.net/yasunorimitsudainterview3/

There's some interesting tidbits such as his desire to produce some original albums.
I'm really happy for places like VGMO that put out these interviews. Always a good read.

I'm disappointed by some of Mitsuda's answers. He seems to want to distance himself from his Square legacy as much as possible. The bit about the original XB score was odd.

Also, 120 tracks on XB2 but he only did event music. Will we ever get to hear Mitsuda field BGM again?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Will we ever get to hear Mitsuda field BGM again?
I'd say Inazuma Eleven has a lot of that.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 07:09 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasunori Mitsuda
I definitely want to offer the soundtrack for sale, but since the number of songs is what it is, I wonder how I’d go about doing that…
Someone should make him aware that SQEX already publishes music on BluRay. I guess that should provide enough storage for even such a large project.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 09:24 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I took it to mean he did so little (those DLCs are ~2h long) it would be hard to justify a CD.

Plus I worry Mitsuda's insistence on releasing all his music on his own label means there won't be an SQEX disc with all the DLC music.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:09 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I took it to mean he did so little (those DLCs are ~2h long) it would be hard to justify a CD.

Plus I worry Mitsuda's insistence on releasing all his music on his own label means there won't be an SQEX disc with all the DLC music.
Mitsuda was talking about XB2. This interview was conducted before the FF announcement.

But you're right about FF. I think he said he only recorded 3 songs for it.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:32 AM
Trusted Editor

Well, if all three are Terra Battle quality then I can only say: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 01:45 AM

Wow there's a lot of salt for Sawano being hired for XenobladeX in past messages here. Can't say I'm surprised lmao.

Anyway, I've recently been listening to a bunch of Mitsuda's music on YouTube, mainly stuff on recommendations from some of my friends. I've been really interested in his music recently because I want to get into new composers.

I plan on playing Xenogears and Xenosaga sometime soon, so I'll probably end up getting the XG and XS1 OSTs, but I also plan on getting his Colours of Light album to give me a compilation of some of his vocal songs. I've heard a few tracks from the Valkyria Azure Revolution OST on YouTube and really liked those. A friend of mine told me it's worth getting the OST and not playing the game, which is kind of amusing to hear.

Though my main point of posting here is this:

I was wondering if anyone here could recommend some of his "best works" to me, since I think it'd be kind of difficult to go through his entire discography at this stage, considering its size. I've been really interested in his music as of late, and I know that he's one of the biggest game OST composers in the industry. So any suggestions anyone can offer would be great.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 04:07 AM

My personal favorites from Mitsuda:

Black Butler Book of the Atlantic
Inazuma Eleven (TV) (Chrono Stone and Go Galaxy)
Xenosaga Episode 1
Kid Icarus Uprising
Valkyria Revolution
Xenoblade 2
Chrono Trigger

Last edited by VIN; Jan 20, 2018 at 04:20 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:30 PM
Trusted Editor

If you haven't heard any of Chrono Cross, that's probably his best, most consistently strong work, which is commonly cited as one of the best soundtracks in all of gaming. Xenogears is commonly cited as such too, although I personally think it had a bit too much filler, compared to Cross anyway. As for overlooked soundtracks he did, I've always had a fondness for Soma Bringer.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 01:51 PM

There's some amazing stuff on Tsugunai by Mitsuda. But then, IMO he's the best game music composer of all time, so I could recommend just about everything. I like to recommend Tsugunai, though, since it doesn't seem to get a lot of love. Chrono Trigger/Cross and Xenogears/saga are great, of course.

Kinda weird to see Xenogears getting cited as GOAT though, and even Cross. Those soundtracks are good, but... idk, best of all time is a little much. I guess that's just opinions though
Old Jan 20, 2018, 03:10 PM

Interesting.

Well thanks guys, this'll help me a lot since I didn't really have much of an idea where to start, haha.

I've loved what I've heard from Xenoblade 2. I never really got into Beyond the Sky from the first game until recently either, so nothing has especially "amazed" me until now. Have heard tracks here and there from the games that are considered "classics" though, like Chrono Trigger and such. I think I took a listen to a bit of his work from Episode Ignis and Another Eden too. Really liked what I heard there, so I figured I'd come here to ask.

On another, note, I figured I'd post this here since it's quite heavily related to Mitsuda.

A few friends and I found all the track names for the Xenoblade 2 OST, in both English and Japanese, along with all of the composer credits for the tracks. Seems like Mitsuda did 30 tracks in total, which is more than what I expected. For those interested, check this post I made on the XC2 sound selection CD discussion:
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.php...94&postcount=9
Old Mar 17, 2018, 01:30 PM

Allow me to correct something here. The Kid Icarus: Uprising main theme which you linked was not composed by Yasunori Mitsuda. Motoi Sakuraba was the composer and arranger behind that piece, who actually composed the most of the music for that game.

As a matter of fact, Mitsuda only composed 3 songs in that game, one of which being co-composed with Sakuraba, although he was the music producer and, along with Natsumi Kameoka, also served as orchestrator.

Even if Mitsuda may have contributed to the piece's orchestral arrangement, I don't think it's fair to credit that song to Mitsuda and spread misinformation for those less familiar with his work...
Old Jun 21, 2019, 04:36 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I had messaged Mitsuda back in 2015 asking him about Stella Glow and he told me that he only composed one track for the game. He also said that there was no talk of a soundtrack release. I wonder why the others listed there are registered under his name. Perhaps they contain parts of the Stella Glow main theme that he composed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Interestingly, JASRAC has a bunch of BGM tracks from Stella Glow registered with composers: 6 for Mitsuda and 32 for Tsuchiya.

These are just raw song titles that are evidently not present in the game itself, so good luck figuring out what songs they apply to:
Mitsuda
T・U・N・E
月面世界
世界の真実
絶望の淵で
魔女の調律
STELLA GLOW

Tsuchiya
RESULT
王都ランベルト
夕暮れに染まる世界
LET'S GO SHOPPING!
いざ,進撃の時!
風駆け抜ける丘
光焔万丈
熱砂の死闘
廃都ファーレンハイト
真実を求めて
FIELD IT CONFUSES
月を統べる堕王
全ての滅びを司る者
DISQUIETING THE SIGN
そよ風と共に
陽だまりの中で
ドタバタばたどた
影の陰謀
危機到来
哀しみ
拓かれたミライ
謁見の間
倭の国アマツ
砂漠の集落,カシミスタン
穏やかな幸せ
STRATEGY MEETING
光射す港町,ポート・ノワール
ウキウキ日和
トホホ...
天使降臨
祝祭の間の決戦
MIND CONDUCT

No guarantee that what's on JASRAC is a complete list.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:36 AM

https://twitter.com/YasunoriMitsuda/...81100312784897

Quote:
そして、もう一本。クロノ・クロスのリマスターが発売されることになりました。こちらはプレイステーション で鳴っていた音を更にリマスタリングして収録しました。そして新曲もあります。こちらもお楽しみに!

Auto-translation: And another one. A remaster of Chrono Cross will be released. This is a further remastered recording of the sound that was playing on the PlayStation. And there is also a new song. Please look forward to this too!
Just in case anyone missed this announcement. As much as I really can't wait to listen to the Remaster and the new song - I have to wonder how different it will be to the Chrono Cross Revival Disc of 2019. Would be great if someone could shed further light on this.

Also, not to be in a constant state of yearning, but how I wish Mitsuda would take this opportunity to release a mini album of unreleased/unused material for this game.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 03:24 PM

If there were justice in the world, CC would get a mostly complete BGM live arrangement, like so many other Square remasters/remakes have been getting... but, yeah, probably not. Probably just streaming the "remastered" BGM, I think that's what that line is really saying rather than the somewhat unclear auto-translation: こちらはプレイステーション で鳴っていた音を更にリマスタリングして収録しました

There just is no will within Square (nor apparently outside of them) to revive Chrono or apparently to even give it the Royal treatment other franchises are getting.

Live A Live remake is probably because of Tokita pushing for it, just like he helmed FF4 projects.
Mana remakes are because of that one guy who joined Square specifically wanting to make new Mana games.
The Front Mission remakes are because an outside studio pitched it to Square and they accepted.

Chrono? Chrono who?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:45 AM

Mitsuda wrote more on Facebook than on Twitter. I think he's satisfied with the original arrangements:

Quote:
当時のプレイステーションは当然内臓音源というやりかたで音楽を鳴らしていたわけですが、今回そのデータを 一からリマスタリングしてノイズ除去などを行いました。正直なところ、クロノ・クロスのゲームにおいて音楽 は完成していたので、リアレンジとか必要ないという判断をしました。アレンジ系が聴きたい方は是非CHRO NO CROSS LIVEのBlu-rayを楽しんでもらえたらと思います。
https://www.facebook.com/yasunori.mi...47655338601122
Old Feb 17, 2022, 06:35 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with Mitsuda. The original music of Chrono Cross is already some of the best music I've ever heard, and I can't imagine making it any better with new arrangements, recordings or instrumentation. And there exists the Chrono Cross arrangement album already (digital and blu-ray) , if you'd like an "updated" take on the music.

If Mitsuda would ever work with CC music again, I hope it's something completely different or crazy, like the amazing The Brink of Time album.

Quote:
If there were justice in the world, CC would get a mostly complete BGM live arrangement, like so many other Square remasters/remakes have been getting...
If I remember correctly, Mitsuda own's the rights to CC music, so I think it's ultimately Mitsuda's decision, not Square's.

Last edited by ShinHarmony; Feb 17, 2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 01:25 PM

The plot thickens!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPpQyi558kk
There actually are some arranged versions in the game apparently. And new stuff. It sounds really good. Is Dreamer's Circus the new Millennial Fair?

But it would be style whiplash to go from arrangements like this to the original BGM ... Maybe the new stuff is just inserted into the Radical Dreamers remake?