VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:44 PM

Default IDing Music on a Mystery Demo Disc

A friend who knows I'm into game music sent me a question about a mystery album. It's a long shot, obviously, but if anyone would have a clue I figure they'd be here. Here's his description of the disc and music:

Quote:
I am looking for a series of mp3's that were released around the early 2000's, likely between 2000 and 2003. They were not techno or electronica, but were sort of remixes that were pretty cool and each one was included free on the demo disc of either "PC Gamer" or "Maximum PC" magazine.

One song was an original composition called "driving" with an awesome original female vocal. Another song was called "Dance with me" and mixed together beats from two blues era jazz singers with a cool beat. My FAVORITE was a haunting war ballad that featured trumpets and snares for the music and then overlaid quotes sampled from FDR ("I hate war!") and Winston Churchill ("these dead shall not have died in vain"). The artist included notes with the track that states this track was a tribute to the game Day of Defeat, a mod for the popular game Half-life.

If it helps, I believe that this song came on a CD that was devoted largely to half-life mods such as day of defeat and counterstrike. All of the remixed tracks came from a single artist and were all individually featured on these demo CDs as background music while browsing the disc's contents that was included with these gaming magazines.
Any ideas? Even a list of demo CD's or known musicians that worked on Half-Life mods would be helpful.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:39 AM

Turns out it was CGW, not PC Gamer or Maximum PC--might explain some of the difficulty I had

Thanks to some help from GFF I discovered that it's Tomas Diablo.