VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old Dec 7, 2011, 03:23 PM
Lich King Lich King is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 71
Default

If he was selling 100 @ $10 he'd make out better than selling 1 and hoping to get $500 (if he's lucky enough to get someone with that kind of money to burn on a CD, pardon the pun). So I'm going to go with Pepak on that one...for now.

I think dismissing a soundtrack completely because we can't easily find any info on it would lead to some missed opportunities. I'm not saying "Accept anything", but I think we should be open to the fact that maybe not much, or maybe nothing at all, can be found on certain albums (I know, I know...what do you do then? I certainly don't have the answer.). I think we have to remember (using the Daggerfall album purely as an example) that this is a 14 year old game. Maybe this CD was just an after-thought back then and no one bothered to "catalog" it.

I know there are many arguments for either side. I'm not trying to say who's wrong or right. However, if we just summarily dismiss albums when a Google search yields little or nothing, we might miss out on some nice items.

The fact of the matter is that there are some reasonably valid scenarios where we might not find any supporting information on some albums: I had a friend who worked at a store called Egghead Software and they would get shipments with all manner of promotional material, soundtracks included, that would just be, literally, taped to one of the game boxes with NO supporting literature. He would toss most it, because to him it was just "junk". I got several soundtracks from him for which there is probably little to no info. I dread to think what albums he may have discarded before I met him.

Another example is the Order of War soundtrack CD I posted here, only available through Fry's Electronics. Not much info out there on it, but I doubt Fry's was bootleging.

The delima is whether to include them in the database. That is for the mods to decide. Why not just included it for the time being, for informational purposes, and delete it later if necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Dec 7, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hellacia Hellacia is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lich King View Post
If he was selling 100 @ $10 he'd make out better than selling 1 and hoping to get $500 (if he's lucky enough to get someone with that kind of money to burn on a CD, pardon the pun). So I'm going to go with Pepak on that one...for now.
Not to derail this thread, but you're speaking about if he did that. But, you see bootlegs go for hundreds of dollars all the time, right? People selling the next bootleg Star Wars game soundtrack or whatever for $350 or even more. You also know that they sell them easily because they're rare and people think "Oh, man, I can get something that they only printed 5 of!" or blah blah. Yeah, sure, if he was selling 100 at $10 a piece he'd make out better, but this is a bootlegger. He just wants to make a quick buck by spitting out some artwork, stamping on a CD label and calling it a day. He'd have to go through so much trouble to make 100 of them... I highly doubt it. Not to mention, then they're not as rare and he doesn't have something that people will really pay for. Then he only has to make 1 more of the stupid things and presto, he's basically made the same amount of money in the work and cost of 2 CDs and artwork that he'd have made in 100. I think that's the real sales scheme.

And I'm not talking about the bootlegging companies that do everything DigiCube released and such. I'm talking about the guys in the USA selling the American game "soundtracks". Oh, people spend more than $500 on rare game CDs and we know it. That's what this thread is all about. The more expensive, the more likely some fanatic collector is going to buy it.

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 7, 2011 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:25 PM
Myrkul's Avatar
Myrkul Myrkul is offline
VGMdb Staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: France
Posts: 2,885
Default

To be back in topic, i'd like to mention that Limited Edition vinyls generally sells for a high price.
They are most of the time very limited in number, so they makes perfect collector's items.

Like
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Battle Vinyl
Marvel VS. Capcom 2 Mix Tape
RED TRAXX
This last one is limited to 5 copies...!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:56 PM
Lich King Lich King is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 71
Default

@Hellacia:

OK, not trying to be confrontational, just having a good conversation, BUT you were the one that said "If he was selling 100 of them, people wouldn't be paying $500 a piece and that's what he wants."

I was only pointing out that, sure, if he had 100, he couldn't sell them for $500, he'd just sell them for a mere $10 and make $1000 instead of $500. (Yes, of course it would all depend on him actually selling the items, in either case). So making a one-and-done would not be as profitable.

However, the argument becomes irrelevant when you clarified that you weren't talking about bootlegging companies (that actually Pro-press CDs/CDRs), but about individuals who manually slap a cover on a CDR. At that point I would whole-heartedly agree with you. Manually creating that many copies would not be worth the effort.

I just didn't think you were talking about Joe-Blow selling some trash. I wouldn't even dignify that by glorifying it to "Bootleg" status. There should be a category below Bootleg where these belong. LOL

And, yes, I've seen the crazyness of people paying hundreds of dollars for soundtracks (almost $700 once for the Fallout soundtrack). I've been collecting soundtracks since the early to mid 1990's. Don't let my low post count fool ya.

My original point was: when do we decide (if there is no info available) that an album we've never seen before is either 1) Official 2) Bootleg 3) Trash (this is my personal rating system). The fact that I recall reading that there might be a new "Auction Site" option in the "Publish Format" category for when we can find NO info for an album, leads me to believe that we recognize that not all albums for which we can't find info are trash...or else we simply wouldn't add them to the DB, instead of creating and entry option for them. Maybe I've misinterpreted the intent on that issue.

For the record, I actually own the Music of Tamriel CD. It was...hold your breath...one of the ones my friend received while working at Egghead Software. When you pre-paid (as they called it back then) for the game, they actually rung it up on your receipt as "Promotional Gift" (IIRC) and handed you the CD. I have several other very interesting albums that I'm investigating before uploading to the DB.

Anyway, the topic is very stimulating and interesting. I love hearing other people's take on the subject.

Sorry about the derailment. Back on thread track:

How about the Skinjob2000 (Westwood Edition) Blade Runner soundtrack. Only 10 copies floating around.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:26 AM
ilef's Avatar
ilef ilef is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 294
Default

Does this thread take into account only commercially released albums? If you're lucky enough you can find "Promo/Not for sale" releases on auction sites and some store, too. I've yet to see an album rarer than Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance - The Soundtrack (by the way, you forgot to add "The Soundtrack" in the album's title, look closely at the image)? Spotted it two times at eBay, with the bids going as far as 973$. Who knows where are the other 47...
__________________
“Now interested, Asuka.”

Last edited by ilef; Dec 8, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:05 PM
TheBanditking's Avatar
TheBanditking TheBanditking is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA, NJ
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajwork View Post
An irrelevant comment, but these prices are the reason pirated vgm is becoming so popular. To the individuals who bought their sealed cd's for over 100~200 dollars, please tell me you never opened them...
Why would I buy it if I was not going to open it? Also I have paid 100~200 for used rare OST's. I am not sure how rare it is but the Alundra OST I own is one of the OSTs in my collection that I am quite proud to own. That along with my Panzer Dragoon Azel Memorial Album, Breath of Fire Box, Parasite Eve (DiGi Cube release), Ridge Racer 4 and The OutRun 20th Anniversary Box.

Last edited by TheBanditking; Dec 13, 2011 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hellacia Hellacia is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBanditking View Post
Why would I buy it if I was not going to open it?
To sell it back for an even bigger jerkoff price.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:56 PM
DragoonEnRegalia's Avatar
DragoonEnRegalia DragoonEnRegalia is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
Not sure if they are expensives.. but the vast majority of the albums from "Absord Music Japan" are somewhat rare, with a few ones that are hardly to be seen anywhere, like these A-Train albums.. and for some games you probably never heard of: Pinocchia no Miru Yume ? Ichigeki: Hagane no Hito ? Kyabate Bakaichidai ?

Though i am agree with Teioh, rarity and price are different.
Price does not indicate the rarity to me.
I'll have to agree on the rarity of the Absord releases. Some of the albums they released are really valuable to my album reviewing profession (mainly because I have a sweet tooth for anything Artdink related, lol), and it's most likely related to small prints and forever-pervading obscurity. If anyone ever finds an A-Train album, I'd love to know, because I think I'll be dead before one ever reaches my address.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
MiLO's Avatar
MiLO MiLO is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 604
Default

Silent Bomber Original Sound Track
I've been trying to catch this on sale for about a year now, checking all kind of japanese auctions - still nothing, no traces whatsoever.

OverBlood Original Soundtrack -GM-PROGRESS-10-
Seen it on Ebay several months ago for $1500, while the game itself sells for about $2-3.

Abe a GOGO Original Soundtrack
CD was available in Japan only, for a western game.
Nowhere to be found nowadays, I got very lucky and randomly bought it from a guy on Facebook for 150 euro, which was a pretty good price I though. The guy asked to sell it back to him a week later.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:51 AM
Carl's Avatar
Carl Carl is offline
VGMdb Staff
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 892
Default

Milo, I didn't pay any huge amount to get the Overblood -GM Progress 10- album, it was around a normal price on Yahoo Japan a few years back...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 PM
PSIRockin's Avatar
PSIRockin PSIRockin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 59
Default

I think it's funny how that "mix tape" is on vinyl. I'd buy one though.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:59 PM
Yotsuya's Avatar
Yotsuya Yotsuya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 79
Default

It seems like ebay is not a good measure of the value of albums because many sellers are opportunistic and quick to point out how rare their items are. Also since everything comes from Japan it's easy to capitalize on people's ignorance of the Japanese market. It's funny to see albums go for $80 which are 1,000 yen on amazon.jp... but not that funny. >=(

Anyway, as far as the topic goes, I don't know what is rare, but for most expensive I would say Yoshi's Island consistently goes for around $500 on yahoo auctions, and Super Mario RPG and Super Mario Land usually for a little less, 2 or 3 hundred.

But hell, if it is 20 years old or desirable and out of print then they are all pretty expensive, averaging from 50 to 150 which is pretty hefty for a CD.

Last edited by Yotsuya; Jan 30, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:42 PM
Yotsuya's Avatar
Yotsuya Yotsuya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 79
Default

Banjo & Kazooie going for $1500!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CD-Banjo-Kaz...item45fad5b12c
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
pepak's Avatar
pepak pepak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 192
Default

Until there is at least one bid, it certainly isn't "going for $1500". Otherwise any one of us could produce a "most expensive CD" simply by posting a common, $1 CD for bids with a starting price of 17 million USD.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
PerfectZer0's Avatar
PerfectZer0 PerfectZer0 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 115
Default

$1,500 for a CD....that's asinine. Thats a hell of a lot more than my house payment for one month. Fuck that. A roof over my head is more important.

What an asshole.
__________________
http://vgmdb.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4762&dateline=1296370  437

Last edited by PerfectZer0; Feb 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:28 PM
suicider's Avatar
suicider suicider is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectZer0 View Post
What an asshole.
Asshole? Nozomi-san is one of the best sellers around. You better withdraw that expression.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:53 PM
Hellacia Hellacia is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 813
Default

He's selling 20 grams of polycarbonate plastic with 70 minutes of music on it for $1500. He's a fuckin asshole. Selling a music CD for more than some people's rent is one of the most asshole things I've ever heard of, it defines being an asshole.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:19 AM
Yotsuya's Avatar
Yotsuya Yotsuya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 79
Default

Who knows, maybe someone is happy to pay that price. I just hope they look on yahoo.jp first. http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/148126276
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:35 PM
Streamsofneon's Avatar
Streamsofneon Streamsofneon is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1
Default

The official Japanese soundtrack, Tenchisouzou, has been on my wishlist for years, but the one time i've seen it on ebay, it was over $200, and even more on yahoo japan auctions -- where i've bought most of my collection for years.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
Boyblunder Boyblunder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 242
Default

The way I see it is, those who whine and bitch about the prices of soundtracks that only ever had a handful made have had these soundtracks on their wishlists for years. They will continue to have these albums on their wishlists for years and years to come. If you don't want to pay large ammounts for a CD then don't, just quit whining about it on here. If a CD is desireable and you want it enough you'll pay. People spend millions on pieces of art etc, so go moan at them.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:30 AM
suicider's Avatar
suicider suicider is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
He's selling 20 grams of polycarbonate plastic with 70 minutes of music on it for $1500. He's a fuckin asshole. Selling a music CD for more than some people's rent is one of the most asshole things I've ever heard of, it defines being an asshole.
I won't get to your stupid level of conversation. Fact is, that I've bought soundtracks from her (!) for over two years now and I never encountered any problems nor was I dissatisfied with her service and/or prices. If you don't like the auction, just go elsewhere. Good luck finding another sealed copy. Noone ever complains about expensive sealed copies like Super Mario RPG etc. so I don't see your point why she should be an "asshole".
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:11 AM
dancey's Avatar
dancey dancey is online now
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,261
Default

I'm not sure why anyone pays more for sealed soundtracks vs. non-sealed soundtracks. Almost everyone who sells sealed soundtracks of 10-15 year old games and soundtracks just owns a resealer or has access to a professional one.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hellacia Hellacia is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 813
Default

Suicider, seriously, knock your little Japanese-san girl wonderment shit off. What are you, 8 and you've never met a girl before? You have to put an exclamation mark after writing the word 'she' because it amazes you so much? He's selling a CD for $1500 (which I've never had on my wishlist by the way, Boyblunder). That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of. If I win 50 million dollars from the lottery, I'm still not buying it. It has nothing to do with a complaint. It has to do with, hmm, self-respect? With drawing a line at how much I'll pay for a piece of polycarbonate? With not buying something that like dancey says has been resealed anyway?

Seriously, VGM is fun, and I buy albums like everyone else (at least I hope everyone here buys and doesn't just download). But some of you need to grow up. If you think it's a good price paying $1500 for a resealed CD that won't go to the artist or record label and instead will go to asshole-san, you need to get your priorities straight. Oh by the way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
Noone ever complains about expensive sealed copies like Super Mario RPG etc. so I don't see your point why she should be an "asshole".
Flawless logic here. You've never seen anyone on a niche message board complain about the price of something they're not even looking to buy, so therefore my "complaint" about a completely different soundtrack, and one that's double the price of the one you linked, somehow doesn't make any sense. Yes, the two situations have EVERYTHING to do with each other, Suicider. Here, for you, I'll "complain" about it right now: $750 for Super Mario RPG soundtrack is dumb. It is. It's also not $1500, is it? Your logic is literally BACKWARDS. It's like saying "Why complain about this $20 CD when you don't complain about the $10 CD?" Because the $10 CD is HALF THE PRICE, DUMBASS.

Last edited by Hellacia; Feb 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:35 PM
suicider's Avatar
suicider suicider is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 434
Default

Get a life. Who are you to judge people like that?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
Razakin's Avatar
Razakin Razakin is online now
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hämeenlinna, Finland
Posts: 592
Default

Why I sense some pot calling kettle black on this discussion now.

And yes, rare and old vgm does have absurd prices, just because sellers think that they're worth absurd amounts of money. Especially if it's sealed. If I ever start selling my stuff, they will be reasonable priced, no matter how rare or awesome the soundtrack is, because I have some bloody common sense. :P

Also, asking 1500 dollars for Tenchi Souzou is just plain stupid. Especially if someone is paying that amount, they clearly need to recheck their reality settings.
__________________
vgmdb - serious business, only.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
LiquidAcid LiquidAcid is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
He's selling a CD for $1500 (which I've never had on my wishlist by the way, Boyblunder). That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of. If I win 50 million dollars from the lottery, I'm still not buying it. It has nothing to do with a complaint. It has to do with, hmm, self-respect? With drawing a line at how much I'll pay for a piece of polycarbonate? With not buying something that like dancey says has been resealed anyway?
Replace polycarbonate with compressed carbonate and people are paying thousands of dollars (342.92 USD per carat, according to the "Kimberley Process Certification Scheme") for it.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
Hellacia Hellacia is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
Get a life. Who are you to judge people like that?
Oh, I get it, I'm being trolled. Whatever then, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Replace polycarbonate with compressed carbonate and people are paying thousands of dollars (342.92 USD per carat, according to the "Kimberley Process Certification Scheme") for it.
In other words, diamonds. Yeah, sure. Or, like Boyblunder said, artwork. Or, how about an athlete's jersey? Or, how about William Shatner's kidney stone? (Okay, that was a little different.) Yeah, people spend ludicrous amounts of money on the stupidest things. Like, for example, CDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Also, asking 1500 dollars for Tenchi Souzou is just plain stupid. Especially if someone is paying that amount, they clearly need to recheck their reality settings.
It was Banjo-Kazooie, actually Streamsofneon mentioned Tenchi Souzou being about $200, which is ludicrous enough. I agree though, a reality check is in store. I find this thread to be a kick, looking at all the prices and going "Man, what a bunch of assholes." But when you defend the prices in this thread, that's when it's just totally not fun anymore, because it's just not that serious.

Last edited by Hellacia; Feb 20, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:47 PM
Phonograph's Avatar
Phonograph Phonograph is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 5.342.482.337.666
Posts: 3,795
Default

that thread will end up closing?
izzit in those moments that people regret to have started posting anything? I wonder :?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:15 PM
MiLO's Avatar
MiLO MiLO is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 604
Default

Rare things always will be expensive. I don't think people who sell it are assholes because they put a high price tag on it. Not everyone has the same budget and there are vgm lovers out there who can afford it, good for them. I don't get mad for not driving Bugatti.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:17 PM
suicider's Avatar
suicider suicider is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Oh, I get it, I'm being trolled. Whatever then, dude.
The only troll around here is you. I never said the price for the CD is justified. I just didn't like the notion of insulting people without knowing them. Again: Nozomi is is an honest seller and if you don't like her prices go elsewhere. Noone is forced to buy this album at this price. Though I have to wonder why you are posting in a thread "rarest and most expensive cds" when you would never buy an album over the suggested retail price...

...thought this is a friendly forum, but looks like some members are more friendly than others (or maybe just drunk).

Administrative Edit: Do not post links to file-sharing sites.

Last edited by suicider; Feb 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CDjapan/Fedex getting more expensive each year? leatherhead333 Miscellaneous Discussion 13 Sep 11, 2016 11:26 AM
Rarest PC game soundtracks kris79 Video Game Music Discussion 23 Dec 13, 2013 12:06 AM
Most expensive item bid on yahoo japan (category-leaf) Vert1 Video Game Music Discussion 3 Apr 10, 2010 04:34 AM