VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 24, 2013, 06:26 PM

Question What's the most represented system in your VGM collection?

Considering only full OST releases, no concept / image / doujin / arrangements of sorts. Also no sample / promo soundtracks which contain just some tracks and not the full OST (for example, I didn't count my SMT Strange Journey bonus cd).

After a doing some quick statistics, I got

28 full soundtracks for PS2 games I own / have played;
26 PS1 (less than half however is original music composed for PSX; the rest are straight-from-arcade conversions);
15 famicom;
13 Megadrive;
8 GBA;
8 DS;
8 PSP;
only 5 Gameboy OSTs (why they don't release more GB music on cd?);
4 SNES (this was a shocking truth to discover...);
3 PS3;
3 PCE DUO (real OSTs releases: not counting the redbook audio in-game);
2 SMS;

The criteria was: listing just OSTs of which I also own the original game: no sense in listing all the other soundtracks as well (the list would be completely different but also basically a clone of my collection list). Also, not counting SKUs, but OSTs: therefore "Akumajo Dracula Best 2" counts for three full osts: Castlevania IV, The Adventure & Belmont's Revenge. Same for games collections, so Gradius Deluxe Pack adds 2 OSTs (Gradius & Gradius II) to PSone total.

The choice not to include arcade games was deliberate, as most early arcades have very brief soundtracks: for example just the third disc of "220A-7721~3" would have net a whopping 32 arcade titles, and I felt this would have messed up my intent.

Last edited by The Gambler; Jun 24, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:09 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Including digital releases, PC dominates by far.

But if we're talking about my physical collection only ... huh ... I bet it's a pretty even mix of PS1, PS2, and current-gen.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:55 AM

Interesting topic, but alas there's problems with games that got released on multiple systems and the OST is the same....still if I had to GUESS, I'd wager my top would easily be PS1.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 08:52 AM

Arcade would win by a longshot for me, considering my love of fighting game music and oldschool shooting game music (this is also taking the massive nature of some releases into account...I'm not counting stuff like my System 16 Collections or Namco Graffitis). In the lifespan of my collection outside of arcades, PS1 would probably win followed by SNES, but I've probably sold off more PS1 soundtracks as well (and most of the SNES soundtracks I have sold, I want back. )

Interesting topic.

Saturn would probably be last, I've only had a couple Saturn soundtracks. Same for the PC Engine/Duo.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:34 PM

I like your topics

PS2 wins for me at 19 soundtracks (the dual-volume Suikoden II is counted as 1)
PS1 is a close second with 17 soundtracks

This is out of 63 actual game soundtracks, no arrangements, etc like you said and no anime obviously. Looks like our collections are very similar that way, but I am counting games I haven't played. Also I excluded Auto Modellista and Tales of Symphonia from PS2 since they were originally released for Gamecube, and I excluded that weak-ass Wild Arms CD that was released before the Complete Tracks album came along.

Doing this made me realize I have a few more XBOX and Dreamcast game soundtracks than I thought
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't have a lot, but...

PS1, followed by N64, followed by PS2. I'm not surprised though, because PS1 was my first very own console.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:18 PM

The PlayStation 2 wins for me. I suppose it's no coincidence I also own the most PS2 games than other systems?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 03:57 AM

Thanks guys; some more thoughts on the subject:

- C64 and other 8bit home computers stuff: many of these games had an Intro/Title tune and just sound effects in-game. This, as well as other factors, make western vgm more oriented towards compilations rather than full OSTs. I always thought this is a shame, although some Binary Zone cds have full game OSTs: Bionic Commando, Ghouls'n Ghosts come to mind.

- Amiga has a legendary sound legacy, but that system too has seen many compilations (a la Immortal), but few OSTs. Again, Binary Zone's Shadow of the Beast cd is one notable exception.

- I guess the PS1/PS2 dominance is the result of great sales, great titles and timeframe where hardcore/dedicated fans started collecting. Also, had a bit more pocket money and wished to express their appreciation towards these games by buying related memorabilia, including VGM OSTs.

- conversely, I guess we all would like to have more Snes music in our collections, but that's the one system of the pre-internet era where official OSTs are hard to come by and extremely expensive. Without giving it too much thought, I can say my collection would be a lot more healthy with Contra Spirits or Axelay, too bad these cost a fortune and Konami (unlike Sega) can't bother to please fans with reprints.

- since the Famicom 20th anniversary, and probably since the beginning, Famicom music has always been hot on CD. With series like the ROM Cassette, it's easy to build an impressive library of famicom OSTs. I guess the downside of this trend it to sacrifice looping for sheer quantity, thus each track doesn't "breathe" as much as it should (and did in earlier releases).

- I think I mistakenly added "Technology" to PS1 instead of Saturn, since I played TFV on Psx... Likewise, I added Valkyrie Lenneth to the PSP count despite it being de facto a PSX soundtrack...

- if you're not a JRPG, the chance of your music being pressed to CD is instantly cut by half

Last edited by The Gambler; Jun 26, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:08 AM

I had absolutely not idea so I checked and... it's PC by a mile! Damn Falcom XD
Old Jun 26, 2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
- since the Famicom 20th anniversary, and probably since the beginning, Famicom music has always been hot on CD. With series like the ROM Cassette, it's easy to build an impressive library of famicom OSTs. I guess the downside of this trend it to sacrifice looping for sheer quantity, thus each track doesn't "breathe" as much as it should (and did in earlier releases).
Actually, they are getting better with this. The small singles that covered a lot of the classic first party NES games are all looped and the recording is excellent. The Sunsoft Collections and the Kunio collection are all looped as well. The Famicom Anniversary albums are well done as well.

Conversely, the early Famicom Game Music albums were a joke...incomplete medleys. You can imagine my rage when I paid $30 for Vol. 2 and it didn't even have the complete Kid Icarus or Metroid soundtracks.

Also, a couple releases (the Super Mario World NES music, Final Fantasy I and II) are in mono, which is annoying. Lastly, I have never liked the first Akumajo Dracula CD...the Castlevania III music is all in medley form and the Famicom music is very different from the NES version (I much prefer the NES version). The Dracula Box uses the Famicom medley version, which was VERY disappointing.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 06:26 AM
Trusted Editor

Mine would be Arcade for sure. However, I think this whole representation is somehow biased through the availability of certain systems. I'd love to have more soundtracks for handheld-systems, but there are just so few
On another aspect albums for systems like the Super Famicom are normaly very pricey too...

Last edited by suicider; Jun 26, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
I like your topics

PS2 wins for me at 19 soundtracks (the dual-volume Suikoden II is counted as 1)
PS1 is a close second with 17 soundtracks
Since Suiko II is a PS1 game, I take there's a type and the original playstation claims the top spot, right?

btw, I also considered the two-part MGS2 OST as a unique entity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
Actually, they are getting better with this. The small singles that covered a lot of the classic first party NES games are all looped and the recording is excellent. The Sunsoft Collections and the Kunio collection are all looped as well. The Famicom Anniversary albums are well done as well.
Ah, I guess you are right - maybe I'm just spoiled 'cause I think many of the games that get compiled in these omnibus releases would deserve a whole CD of their own. What's the last time a Famicom game got a full soundtrack on CD without having to share disc space with other games? Maybe Recca?

Also, which is best in terms of looping and sound quality, the Wavemaster Sunsoft collections or the Clarice one?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:13 AM

I haven't heard the Clarice one. Some of the soundtracks on the Sunsoft Collections are recorded really harsh (thankfully, Blaster Master and Journey to Silius turned out okay), but everything loops twice. Same deal with the Kunio box, some of the highs are downright piercing, but everything double looped.

Well, there were the OST's for Megaman 9 and 10. But those are the only recently fullsize "NES" soundtracks that come to mind that had their own discs. Most simply don't have enough music.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:33 PM

Neo Geo!

Since that's the system I started collecting with. 80% of my collection is Neo Geo stuff.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:44 PM

Meh, johnny-come-lately here. :P

TerraEpon brought up a good point about multiple systems sharing a soundtrack kinda skewing the count.

That in mind like 99% of mine are PC represented, other than the couple that came paired up with the PC soundtrack when I bought them on eBay or the like.