VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:56 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Another alternative could be to try a different color or font style/size for the names that are in the parentheses.
That's a great idea... because i think the current system & visual are more confusing than anything else.

Another idea i'd like to submit is.. why would we not use Square brackets "[ ]" or Curly brackets "{ }" and not the very common and confusing Parentheses "( )" ?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:41 AM
Trusted Editor

If this is a precursor to redesigning the album info page, might I make two suggestions?

- display lyricist credits so I don't have to drill down into manage artists to find it if it's not in the album info area.
- can we add a new flag to the artists to differentiate between a credited role and an uncredited role, for informational purposes. I think it's great that many of the trusted editors and above have figured out (through interviews, blogs, tweets) that a composer has been responsible for a specific track but I think the album info page is starting to get overwhelmed by the sheer number of artists. If this is added, could you add a sort priority to put credited artists first, then uncredited, then featured?
- kind of goes hand in hand with number two and I think ss said this is a future priority but track-level instead of album-level credits would be nice. I realize that's probably a lot of coding and pretty far out at this point, though.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:43 AM
Trusted Editor

Also, what's confusing about parentheses? They are a universally understood start and end of a list? Curly brackets would be more confusing, imo
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:48 AM
VGMdb Administrator

As it is right now, any sort of bracket is visually confusing anyway if you have a lot of names bunched together.

Still, I've updated the assignment interface so that unlinked artists can be associated with units too.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:53 AM
Trusted Editor

You could set the hover value to the linked artists but that would be even less intuitive unless there was some sort of visual icon indicator that it had linked members (many a tiny '+'?)
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Maybe something like SuperSweep (+) or SuperSweep (...), or if we do the number of members threshold, SuperSweep (Shinji Hosoe, Ayako Saso, Yousuke Yasui, et al.) where "et al." is the expand link.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Still, I've updated the assignment interface so that unlinked artists can be associated with units too.
Yay, it works!

Now some albums with the orchestra member breakdown may reach the maximum numbers of the characters at the field (2048, IIRC).
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:00 AM
Trusted Editor

+1 for the ellipsis, works well
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:28 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

i like the idea of ellipsis too
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Btw Cedille, based on Gigablah's example I think we are supposed to credit composers with brackets, as shown in the album page.
ex "Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Saki Momiyama, Masanori Osaki)", even though currently the "propagator" in the artist page thinks it's wrong (you have to do it manually).
I know it's just at the alpha stage, but if we go with "Group (Artist, Artist...)", we should assign the group alone by manually removing "(Artist," and uncheck "APPLY" box for everybody else. On a practical level, I think perhaps the most efficient way is to assign the text with no bracket first, and after the artists are linked, insert brackets into the text data. Any better way?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Ellipsis would be cool. (I'd prefer only performer units collapsed by default, since usually they have many members).
Some visual help (font/color) would be nice too.

May I say, managing artist is becoming a bit confusing, now that unlinked artists can be also linked to units. I think the "assigned" and "linked" sections would be easier to understand if they were fused together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I know it's just at the alpha stage, but if we go with "Group (Artist, Artist...)", we should assign the group alone by manually removing "(Artist," and uncheck "APPLY" box for everybody else. On a practical level, I think perhaps the most efficient way is to assign the text with no bracket first, and after the artists are linked, insert brackets into the text data. Any better way?
What I do, I first add without brackets, assign, then reedit to add brackets. Or if there are artists linked, I manually link the new ones + reorder a bit (swapping their IDs), then edit to add brackets.

But I believe the composer text box is used only in advanced searchs. So maybe we could relax the bracket syncing a bit? (ie.- not used)

And thanks for the all the hard work, Blah and SS.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:41 PM
Trusted Editor

I don't know if you want to code around this but I just added Joe Hisaishi's "Shoot The Violist" original work, and it contains a unit within a unit:

http://vgmdb.net/album/25439

I am not going to bother to add the Joe Hisaishi Ensemble as a unit since this is the only album it's been a unit on and I'm not really worried about unit linking on this particular album, but it is something to keep in mind as a possibility for future releases.

How would it be coded out?

Joe Hisaishi Ensemble (...)

...which will expand to...

Joe Hisaishi Ensemble (Joe Hisaishi, Balanescu Quartet (...))

...which will expand to...

Joe Hisaishi Ensemble (Joe Hisaishi, Balanescu Quartet (member1, member2, member3, ..., memberN))?

As it stands now I don't even think the Manage Artist page would support a unit within a unit so that's something to also take into consideration.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I tried it out on a random album -- presently, unit members after the first level get swallowed up by nothingness. Nothing I can't fix though!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:59 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Units within units are supported now.

It's a recursive function so there's unlimited levels of nesting.

Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Update the assign artists page so that reverse propagation and unassigned artist detection works better. Brackets should no longer cause it to vomit.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:05 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I noticed that you can't add artists twice under the same name anymore.
For example: xyz is part of a unit in which he plays keyboard, but apart from that he is also credited indivually for another track as vocalist
Will it stay this way?
Old May 11, 2011, 01:54 PM

I can add Takako Kuwata thrice, but definitely in the way that can hardly be called normal (initially assigning somebody else, replacing the ID by 10370, adding Takako Kuwata as as alias, then pressing "APPLY").

Otherwise, we receive this message.
Quote:
The artist is already credited with the same role for this album!