VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Miscellaneous > Archives > Game Remixes Forum Archive 2009-2012
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:54 AM

Default Can't login or reset pass

Hey all. I just joined the site today to take part in a closed competition, I registered using the same username as I did on the forums here and I uploaded a song. However, when I was on the competitions page and clicked on "Submit" it did not list any songs for me to choose from. Search for the song by title/artist did not work either.

So i thought maybe I"ll just try logging out and back in again - big mistake. Now its rejecting my login info even though i'm 100% sure it is correct and have tried it dozens of times. I tried requesting a new password, but when i click on the link in the email i get a "Oops, can't find what you're looking for" error, or something close.

Does it take a few hours for things to process or something? I've been trying to figure this out for a while now...
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:26 PM

Hey Ubel,

The song uploads do take up to one hour to process, but that shouldn't affect the ability to log in. I'll check this out tomorrow and get back to you. If I can't figure it out right away, I might need to ask for more information, such as browser and operating system.

Thanks for the bug report, and I'll let you know as soon as I have more info.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintin3265 View Post
Hey Ubel,

The song uploads do take up to one hour to process, but that shouldn't affect the ability to log in. I'll check this out tomorrow and get back to you. If I can't figure it out right away, I might need to ask for more information, such as browser and operating system.

Thanks for the bug report, and I'll let you know as soon as I have more info.
Hey thanks for looking into it. To save some time i'll tell you what i use now. I'm on win7 x64 and using the latest firefox. I do use the noscript and adblock plugins, but i have them both set to allow all scripts and such on the vgm site. I just tried using IE8 to log in/reset pass and was met with the same errors. However, I have not been able to try submitting the song through a diff browser as i cannot get signed in at all.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 05:01 PM

Thanks. I've been looking into this for a few hours, and discovered that the password for your account is blank. I'm wondering if you attempted to update your profile, and somehow it allowed a NULL password to be set. To temporarily remedy the problem, I impersonated your account and set the password to a value that I sent to you in a private message.

You should be able to log into the account and do whatever you'd like for tonight. Tomorrow, I'm going to continue looking into what caused this bug, and will also fix another bug that deals with profile images becoming blank. I'm also going to see if there's a way to temporarily update the song tables when a new song is uploaded so that you can do something immediately with the song after it's submitted, rather than wait until the next calculations are performed.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:02 AM

OK, I think I isolated the source of the problem. There are several issues that I found. I fixed two of them, and two of them are still outstanding. No fixes have yet been released to production.

First, there's the issue of songs not being available for up to an hour after uploading. The problem results from the cache that had to be implemented in response to the Composition Combat traffic levels. I think I figured out a way around this issue, and added a bug at http://www.shoemakervillage.org/mantis/view.php?id=207.

Second, the password problem could have been caused by the issue described at http://www.shoemakervillage.org/mantis/view.php?id=205. If a user inadvertently types a space in those boxes, then the password would be reset and the user wouldn't know it had been changed. That might or might not have been the problem in this case, but I'll fix this bug and see if the issue recurs.

For the next month, I'm only going to be fixing bugs and refining errors in the new design. Once a lot of the bugs are fixed, then minor usability enhancements can follow. One of these, for example, is the ability to search all fields in the influences screen. I think that things should be rock solid before moving on to the next major features.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:54 AM

I want to thank Ubelsteiner for his comments on uploading songs. Thanks to him, I was able to resolve two issues.

First, there is a critical bug where songs that don't have any downloads or views don't display anywhere. Of course, that's a problem because a song won't get any downloads or views without being displayed. This one is listed at http://www.shoemakervillage.org/mantis/view.php?id=208.

Second, when a user uploads a song, its statistics will now be calculated immediately, rather than at the next hour. This seems to get around the issue of having to refresh all song calculations every time a song is uploaded, and addresses what shawnphase had called the "BS bug fix" (increasing the frequency of refreshes), which was the best solution I knew of at the time. This one is listed at http://www.shoemakervillage.org/mantis/view.php?id=207.

Neither of these fixes have yet been released to production, but are available on the Dev server at svillage.mine.nu.

Feel free to offer comments and more reports as I continue to resolve other bugs.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 03:55 PM

All of the known issues that were reported to me over the past few days have been resolved and are available in production. A list of the issues that were fixed is here: http://www.shoemakervillage.org/mant...e_status_id=-2.

Feel free to let me know if I missed something.

If your profile thumbnail is showing up blank, to fix it you should simply re-upload your image using the "edit profile" screen. Once you do that, the bug has been fixed so that the issue will not recur.

Last edited by quintin3265; Mar 30, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:41 PM

Glad i could be of help. However, i'm still not seeing any of my songs when i try to submit them to this compo: http://www.gameremixes.com/compo/details/id/4

I uploaded a new track today to see if its just ones that were uploaded b4 that wouldnt show up, but it doesnt appear either.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubelsteiner View Post
Glad i could be of help. However, i'm still not seeing any of my songs when i try to submit them to this compo: http://www.gameremixes.com/compo/details/id/4

I uploaded a new track today to see if its just ones that were uploaded b4 that wouldnt show up, but it doesnt appear either.
Could you give me an example of a song that has this problem? The important thing is to determine whether this track doesn't show up at all anywhere, or whether it shows up elsewhere but is not available to submit to a competition.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:55 PM

This issue has been resolved, and details are available at http://www.shoemakervillage.org/mantis/view.php?id=213.

It turns out that the compos dialog boxes did not include works in progress, even though it was possible to submit works in progress to the compos. It was a simple one-line fix to get all compo dialogs to display works in progress.

The changes should be available in the next release, which will be on Saturday at the latest. I won't make another post when the release occurs so as not to clutter up the forums with another release announcement. Thanks again to Ubelsteiner for his reports, and I'm going to continue to fix bugs and add usability enhancements.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 03:26 PM

That must have been it, because none of my tracks appeared in the submit window and all the tracks are marked as works-in-progress. No rush here, i still have 9 more days to get things submitted I'll give it a try after saturday and will post here if i run into any problems. thanks again.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 04:43 PM

I said I wouldn't post, but it doesn't take long to write one sentence. The fixes were pushed to production. Also fixed in this release is the necessity to specify the length of your media. Now, the length is calculated automatically.