VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 9, 2008, 02:32 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The tracklist in the scans seems to be all in caps (the 't' is kind of ambiguous though) but in Suleputer's site (http://suleputer.capcom.co.jp/sulepu.../cpca1096.html) it's a bit different. What should we have?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 02:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'd go with the album scans for capitalization. They use a strange font though, so it's not entirely clear if all of the letters are capital ones, but most are.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 03:18 PM
VGMdb Staff

I'm not sure what this font is called but I've seen it before. Seems to be used in contexts dealing with the occult and similar subjects. The "T" being a cross and the "O" having a cross inside are pretty telling. But more importantly, what the heck is up with some of these tracktitles =D
Old Aug 7, 2009, 07:07 AM

which ever brainiac did the track listing, disc 2 is completely wrong from track 6 onwards, seems you missed one out and then named every track wrong after that.
Just thought I'd point it out.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 07:20 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Have you considered that it might be the booklet that's printed wrong? Feel free to cross-reference:

Freedb entry: http://freedbtest.dyndns.org/dbread2...=misc/4a10ab26
Official site: http://suleputer.capcom.co.jp/sulepu.../cpca1096.html
Old Aug 7, 2009, 07:26 AM

That is a real possibility, it also means that the booklet is miss-printed very very badly. Maybe it would be an idea if people put comments for stuff like this, then it would stop retards like myself following the silly booklets that come with soundtracks, and trusting what is written on the webpage.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 07:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Calm down dude, nobody's blaming you =)

Feel free to edit that detail into the notes section.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 07:31 AM

hehe I'm jes messin, it's pretty annoying tho. It seems quite evident that the book is wrong, but it's not as if the 2 tracks were mixed up, it quite literally means every track is named incorrectly in the book.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 07:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, it's more like one title was shifted to the wrong place (from track 23 to track 5), thus shifting all the other tracks downwards (and from 24 onwards the names are correct again). It's a numbered title too ("EV-27") so you can see how it's out of order.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:40 PM

Does anyone know more info about Track #9. GM-03 (Image of the God of Space-Time)

I was curious if this was sampled from another song or an original creation?

Thanks,
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Track 1-06 is printed as PUBIC ENEMY (Regular Battle 1). Is this a printing error?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:53 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It's always been PUBIC ENEMY (official sites, listed many times in the scans, plus check all the 'sugestive' names in the track names).
Though I understand why somebody would think it's wrong, them crazy Japanese.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Well, according to Wikipedia it's different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discogr...May_Cry_series

Last edited by Nisto; Jan 24, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 05:36 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Wikipedia is not always never reliable.

This track have always been called pubic enemy...
Recently, the track have been re-released on Capcom Music Collection Vol.0 prologue
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
Well, according to Wikipedia it's different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discogr...May_Cry_series
Not anymore.

It's important to remember that Wikipedia is not a reliable source. We'll do what we can to help fix this, but ultimately they aren't built to handle the task.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:39 AM

It is PUBLIC ENEMY (Regular Battle ①). Wikipedia should be used only as a referential medium, not a go-to place for sequential, up-to-date info, especially when it comes to VGM. Even the creators of Wikipedia attest to their site's inaccurate articles, going as far as saying that it isn't the best source for information.

Nevertheless, I still believe Wikipedia is handy...but not reliable, of course.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:57 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoZeke View Post
It is PUBLIC ENEMY (Regular Battle ①).
But the scans say Pubic, not Public, for both this album and the track's reprinting on the Capcom Vol.0 album. Also, on the printed tracklist, the ① is actually a 1 in a circle.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:00 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, ① is a 1 in a circle anyhow. But it's better to convert it to ASCII for practical reasons.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:34 AM

I've always considered the "PUBIC" line as a misprint that was carried over to the Capcom Vol.0 album. PUBLIC obviously seems like what they were going for, and is certainly the more appropriate term to use.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:48 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think Dag's post sums up why we should keep it as Pubic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
It's always been PUBIC ENEMY (official sites, listed many times in the scans, plus check all the 'sugestive' names in the track names).
Though I understand why somebody would think it's wrong, them crazy Japanese.
Perhaps it's something that somebody will have to ask the composers if there are any future interviews.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 05:39 PM

Added credits for 'Seeds Of Love' from the game.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 03:51 PM

Looks like the booklet scans are missing the page for Disc 2 Tracks 15 - 24. (See Booklet 11 to Booklet 12). Anybody have the missing scan for this? Would be good to confirm the composers for those tracks.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 05:46 PM

Added the official English track titles from Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...al_Soundtrack/
Old Dec 17, 2020, 09:52 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

and pubic enemy remains

amazing
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivda View Post
and pubic enemy remains

amazing
Well, I don't think that track should ever be called Public Enemy. Check the post by Dag or, even better, the scans: "Blue Orgasm", "I'm Coming!"… Titles are obviously meant to be suggestive.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:44 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

i'm probably just very oblivious
Old Jan 4, 2021, 09:36 PM

It might be worth mentioning that the battle track DLC for DMC5 lists it as "Public Enemy (Dante battle theme 1)."
Then again as mentioned before you have titles like "Final Penetration," "Blue Orgasm," "I'm Coming!" and "Bloody Bladder" so the double entendre was probably intentional.

Regardless, I'm quite glad they finally released official English translations for the soundtracks even though I disagree with a small handful of said translations. I don't have too many complaints regarding the translations as far the DMC1 OST goes. I think it's a little odd that they went with "On My Father's Name" over "Swearing On My Father's Name," but I suppose it still means the same thing either way. Personally I would have gone with "Garden" over "Gardens" since I believe that the whole area in Mission 9 would just count as one large garden as opposed to multiple, plus that's what the Brady Games strategy guide listed it as.

The only two translations I really question though are the ones for 2.15 and 2.16.

Track 2.15, "魔界大神殿" plays in the chapel area where Mundus' physical form resides. I'm not really sure how they got "God of the Demon World" out of that unless they were just taking a lot of liberties with it.
A more accurate translation would be "Underworld's Great Temple." The Devil May Cry Sound Box (back when it was still available on iTunes) listed it as "Hell's Great Temple" which would also be correct, but "Underworld" would be more internally consistent.
It's also weird how it's the only time in these new translations where they used "Demon World" instead of "Underworld." Also, while it's true that Mundus' exterior appearance is that of a godlike deity I don't believe he nor anyone else ever refers to him as being a god, they just use titles like "king," "emperor," "master," "prince of darkness," etc.

Track 2.16, "策略" actually can be translated as "tactics," but in context I think the translation used on the Sound Box, "A Scheme" is more appropriate.
For context, this played in the cutscene where Mundus used Trish as leverage against Dante in order to ensure his victory. While "tactics" is still applicable to the scenario, I feel that "scheme" gets across the underhanded nature of the situation better as tactics lacks that same connotation.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 03:22 PM

Also, I was wondering, does anyone know what the deal with "Lock & Load (Original)" is? The booklet seems to say something along the lines of "This has been included in response to requests that the Single CD version of Lock and Load be included."
I'm uncertain what single CD release it is referring to, but unless I'm mistaken outside of it being slightly longer and the first 10 seconds being slightly different it appears to essentially be the same as "Lock & Load (Blade Appears - Battle Music 2)."
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:07 PM

I also don't know what "single CD" they refer to, but AFAIR both versions are used in the game: the "Blade Appears" version is in a cutscene introduction to the Blade enemy in the backyard, the "Original" version is used in subsequent battles with Blades, Sin Scythes, maybe others too. I'm guessing by "single CD version" they meant original/base/non-cutscene version.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:49 AM
VGMdb Staff

I guess the CD single referred to is this one. The version on there is the same as Lock & Load Original, just longer (more loops).