VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:34 AM
Trusted Editor

Nice to see this finally getting an official release. If I understand this correctly, then it becomes available on the LLL website on 8th of April, right? Because as of now, there's no preorder possibility and a search yields no results.

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Apr 4, 2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:51 AM
VGMdb Staff

It simply says (mentioning another, for vgmdb not relevant score)
Quote:
See y'all next Tuesday April 8, 2014 at 12 pm pst when these two incredible scores go on sale!
https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrec...?stream_ref=10

Maybe they'll put an order page later, we'll see.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 06:49 AM
Trusted Editor

Thanks Ef, going to keep an eye of the website then
Old Apr 4, 2014, 09:38 PM

They never put an order page until whatever day at 12PM Pacific, though they will post a tracklist beforehand usually.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 08:44 AM

Why is there already a score (as in rating) for this soundtrack considering it has not even been released?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 09:14 AM
Trusted Editor

Who cares?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 09:57 AM
VGMdb Staff

^ avatar apparently cares.

There, I've also put the rating now, is the world gonna end because of it? heh

It's not like you don't know what to expect from the music for a game that was released seven years ago.

Last edited by Efendija; Apr 8, 2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:52 AM

To take it one step further, should that score affect your take on the album? Probably not. Because all you see is a score, there's no comment that goes along with it, so no way to know if the person who left the score has a similar taste in music as you, as well as no way to tell what they did or did not like about the music.
Someone who is a fan of orchestra might give it a 5, someone who's not might give it a 1. Either opinion is equally valid.
All in all just looking at the score can be very misleading (whether it's high or low), what could be more valuable and helpful is to know what were the reasons for (dis)liking the contents of an album.

I believe this applies to any score based critique system, whether it's movies, games etc.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 03:04 PM
Trusted Editor

I think MiLO nailed it. If you actually base your listening behaviour on these scores, you've already lost. The scores indicate just one thing -- popularity. And we all know, that you should never go by that.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 03:42 PM
VGMdb Staff

Of course MiLO nailed it.
Basing your "own" opinion only on what these ratings "tell you" is really bad (how can it be your own opinion then?). Don't do that kids.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:16 PM

Ironic about all the ratings talk, when the game itself is infamous for its' ratings (and Sony's response).

So do the people that rate this 3 stars or lower get the "Guide to Reviewing the Music of Lair on VGMdb" booklet.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 04:08 AM
VGMdb Staff

I've added Karen Han to the list of performers as she was officially credited for performing the erhu on the promo album. Seeing as there's nothing on that release that hasn't been carried over to this, and it hasn't been re-recorded, then it has to be assumed it was an oversight.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLO View Post
Someone who is a fan of orchestra might give it a 5, someone who's not might give it a 1. Either opinion is equally valid.
I agree with what you said, except for this part. If someone's not a fan of orchestra, then they shouldn't be listening to/buying this Lair soundtrack album. Seeing as how its pretty much entirely an orchestral album. I mean, they can easily look up some tracks on YouTube to see if this is worth their time, so its not like they have no way to verify if its something they'll like. Also, they definitely shouldn't be scoring it a 1 if its not their preference.

Let me give you an example as to what I mean: I'm not an electronica fan. Meaning, I'm not gonna go and buy electronica songs/albums on iTunes, and give them crappy ratings. Buying something that's part of a genre you don't like, and then giving it 1 star just 'cause you don't like the genre, is kind of a stupid thing to do, imo.

That said, as I mentioned, I agree with the general point you made. Though I do believe that, irregardless of what we may say, people are gonna give the rating too much weight.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 06:34 AM

Also, for anyone who might read this thread in the future wanting this know this info: there are two tracks on this album that are titled differently compared to the digital release.

On the digital release, there is a track titled Civilization Theme; this track is now titled Love Theme on this 2-CD release.

The other renamed track is the final one on the digital release, called Bridge Attack; on the 2-CD set, its called Final Attack.

Just wanted to clear that up, in case anyone wasn't sure this 2-CD set had all the digital release's tracks plus more.