VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:55 PM

So what do you fellow VGMers think of this? From what I scoured on the internet, it was heavily criticized since it followed Chrono Trigger. I wanted to hear more Mitsuda so I tracked this one down first since it was his second major project. Didn't expect to see ALL the composers of FFX on here. Nakano and Hamauzu don't really contribute many tracks of note though. However, Hamauzu's Approach to a Shrine and Impatience are stellar. Could easily have fit on FFX.

Anyway, it definitely isn't an album that awes one left and right, but it is good. Bear in mind I have never played the game either. It also has the sound quality of Chrono Trigger, since its an old game.

I have to say Disc 2 was very disappointing untilthe 20th track Atlas. Although 202 and Gardian were decent. Once you hit track 220 you sure are in for a treat all the way to the end of the album

My Favs: Cenktrich, Genoce,Galeon, Sneak and Attack, Promise, and Emotion

Last edited by BahamutZ; Apr 17, 2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:35 AM

Uematsu's work in there are actually my favourite of his (I don't really care for his other works).

And who "heavily criticized" it? I'd actually reckon this soundtrack to be one of the most obscure official releases of the composers involved (have no idea why it ended up like that).
Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:38 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yeah, it's clearly a very obscure soundtrack. But I think it was a turning point for Uematsu since it served as an introduction to his work for Final Fantasy VII. He started to focus on ambience tracks with an "industrial" feel.

As for Hamauzu, I find it rejoicing to see how eager he was to write powerful music, but still felt a bit overwhelmed under the work of Mitsuda and Uematsu. "IMPATIENCE" is definitely his best on the soundtrack.

Chudah has a translation of the liner notes, it's very interesting: http://chudahs-corner.com/liners/ind...og=PSCN-5044~5

Uematsu is talking about FFVI and how he considered it to be an "ending point". Hence the new style in Gun Hazard.
Old May 11, 2010, 07:19 AM

There appear to be some inaccuracies in the soundtrack booklet for this one. The tracks "Last Words" and "Trial Zone" were actually composed by Uematsu, but the book credits them to Mitsuda. For Trial Zone, I'm guessing Mitsuda arranged Uematsu's main theme, so that's why he's credited there. Also, I believe "Royce's Death", which is credited to Junya Nakano, was also composed by Uematsu, but I could be off on that.

Any thoughts on these? There could be more that I'm missing, but it seems like this particular soundtrack only credited the arrangers and not the original composers.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
There appear to be some inaccuracies in the soundtrack booklet for this one. The tracks "Last Words" and "Trial Zone" were actually composed by Uematsu, but the book credits them to Mitsuda. For Trial Zone, I'm guessing Mitsuda arranged Uematsu's main theme, so that's why he's credited there. Also, I believe "Royce's Death", which is credited to Junya Nakano, was also composed by Uematsu, but I could be off on that.

Any thoughts on these? There could be more that I'm missing, but it seems like this particular soundtrack only credited the arrangers and not the original composers.
"Trial Zone"
There's more to the track than just the main theme; the rest was composed by Mitsuda. However, you would be correct in attributing the composition to both Mitsuda and Uematsu, noting that Mitsuda is the arranger.

"Royce's Death"
I don't understand your argument here. It's Nakano's style for sure; the booklet is right.

"Last Words"
This does sound more like Uematsu, except the last chord.
EDIT: I see, that theme appears in Promise "~Engagement~". So the composition would be credited to Uematsu, arranged by Mitsuda.

Last edited by Jormungand; May 11, 2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
"Royce's Death"
I don't understand your argument here. It's Nakano's style for sure; the booklet is right.
Thanks for the input. It's a fairly simplistic piece and sounds noticeably different from the rest of his work, so it caused me to raise an eyebrow when I listened to it. But if you're sure, I'll take your word for it.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:21 AM

I was wondering, the "Naval Fortress" translation is supposed to be accurate?

if I ask it's because I wonder how a fortress based in a mountain surrounded by a desert can be related to "Naval" ;p
maybe Navy have Sand Cruisers, who knows

(heh, Navy-Naval, Sandy-Sandal -ahah, I wanted to say it )

Last edited by Phonograph; Mar 16, 2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamutZ View Post
So what do you fellow VGMers think of this?
If you want to hear the opinion of a non-gaming non-vgm fan, I once played this album back when I was living with my parents and my mom thought it was good music. Based on her opinion, I think this music would fare well outside of the vgm community. Personally, I find it to be not as interesting as other Square albums. Final Fantasy VIII, Saga Frontier II, and even Dewprism are more interesting.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
if I ask it's because I wonder how a fortress based in a mountain surrounded by a desert can be related to "Naval" ;p
Japanese title is ナヴァル要塞 (naval yousai). It's "Naval" in katakana, so it's supposed to be a name and not an adjective.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:36 AM

you don't find that amazing? (note that a desert is a sand sea =))

(a quoi ca sert que je mette un ;p si on capte pas la blague :/)
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:08 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

T'as fais un bide
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:11 AM
VGMdb Advisor

J'ai mobilisé tous mes neurones mais j'ai toujours pas compris la subtilité
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:08 AM

Does anyone know if the hinged 2CD tray that this release originally shipped with was clear or black?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:45 PM

Since Square-Enix is "remastering" their older soundtracks, I hope this one will fall in place.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:50 AM

Do fans of Uematsu and Mitsuda even care about this work? Since as a game it's too obscure.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:38 AM

It's my least favorite of all of Mitsuda's game scores, but it's still important to understand his development as a composer. As for Uematsu, there's some really nice selections from him. I think "Wreckage/Ruins" is the most beautifully austere thing he's ever written.

The earliest Nakano Square work and first Hamauzu game work is a nice bonus, too.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:55 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Do fans of Uematsu and Mitsuda even care about this work? Since as a game it's too obscure.
I do. The darker, mechanical style this game has doesn't fit Mitsuda's style, but you can tell the direction Uematsu was heading when he did something similar for FF7 and FF8.

That being said, some of Mitsuda's stuff sounds like it could fit in Chrono Trigger, such as Final Mission and Emotion.

Last edited by dissident93; Aug 18, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:34 PM

I love a good, really metallic and mechanistic sound so I like this and other Front Mission soundtracks quite a lot. I put some of the music in Fallout 3 and it fit great. If anybody has any suggestions of other music with a similar sound I'm all ears. I love the B melody from the main theme (the one used in "Last Words", "Blue Sky ~ Blue Sky" and others) too. So simple but really lovely.

As a matter of fact, this discussion inspired me to start listening to this soundtrack right now.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:46 PM

Eh, I wasn't doubting *you* guys but whether there would be a general (vocal) demand for it for SE to take notice and do a remaster of it. For the record my opinion from post 2 still stands after 5 years (time sure flies...).
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:54 AM

There's also the possibility a reissue of this will be held back until the fabled 'Front Mission complete soundtrack box' makes an appearance (can we still hope?) It does seem odd that even the more recent (SQEX-) Front Mission soundtracks are out of print already.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
(can we still hope?)
I certainly wouldn't hold my breath..
Old Feb 22, 2016, 06:33 PM

An old interview with the dev team, including Mitsuda and Uematsu. Is this anything we haven't seen yet?

https://twitter.com/camelletgo/statu...66893317697540
Old May 30, 2022, 08:30 AM
Trusted Editor

Code:
Producers: Nobuo Uematsu & Yasunori Mitsuda (Square), Mitsuru Ishii & Yoko Sugimoto (NTT Pub.)
Production Management: Yasuyuki Maeda (Square)

Art Direction: Tadashi Shimada (Banana Studio)
Design: Tadashi Shimada, Norie Kadokura (Banana Studio)
Cover Photographs: Tadashi Hirose
Interview Photographer: Hiroshi Shibaizumi & Shouji Otake (Hand Made)
Phototype & Finish-Work: I.N.G

Executive Producer: Yoshitomo Ogata / Mitsunobu Nakamura (NTT Pub.)

Special Thanks to Keisuke Tadakuma (Omiya Soft)