VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:46 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Default POCS-21032~4: Sonic The Hedgehog 1&2 Soundtrack

If this is for real, I think I'm gonna pass out.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:57 PM

most interesting, label?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:16 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'd guess Wave Master, but it's not revealed in Famitsu's news story.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:14 PM

Long overdue, but amazing news
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:45 AM

The demo tapes/sound demos for both games are the most exciting parts about this. It's going to be an INCREDIBLE package. A must have.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 03:05 AM

OMG! I can hardly wait!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:48 AM

YESH!! Finally!
Well, actually I'd like to see a complete S1-3K OST box, but the demo tape is going to be a great bonus and I'm sure 3K will follow up with its own release soon.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:54 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashman View Post
I'm sure 3K will follow up with its own release soon.
I kind of doubt that, since it seems to have some copyright issues because Michael Jackson worked on it.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:37 PM

See this? Yeah that's me right now.
It would actually be x10 had it been a full box set; it's a little bittersweet because now, like Nisto suggested, the chances of there being complications in regard to copyright issues in Sonic 3 seem more tangible than ever. At least, they should be able to release other Sonic games like both 3Ds and CD (and the SMS/GG). WTH, why not release a boxset in the first place?
ahh, at least this has got some really interesting obscure bonuses that I'm dying to listen to.

Anyway, I'm so, so, so happy to finally see a proper release of classic Sonic music. Can't wait enough for it (20 years already!).

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:31 AM

i am kind of amazed about this. here's hoping other sonic games get soundtrack releases too. would really love the master system games (as mentioned elsewhere) and Sonic CD.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:14 AM

Maybe they don't release a box set because they need more time to finish everything else up - or the boxset might get too big and too expensive? Who knows. Anyway, this is a damn good start. I also hope, there's coming more but if everything fails, I'm still happy that we finally get this gem.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:47 PM

While I see your point, if they planned on celebrating the 20th anniversary 'all the way', it would be kind of stupid to not start arranging the deal sooner. And as for the box being too expensive... that still hasn't stopped WaveMaster/SEGA from releasing other expensive boxsets in the past with a somewhat more limited scope (as in number of different games covered, not counting different ports/variations). Looking only at the 16bit games, I'm sure they could fit them all on 7 discs, more or less.
Still, I agree. This is such a great start, so I can only be hoping for more.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:21 PM

I still don't believe this announcement. I was expecting to see Shadow the Hedgehog 20th Anniversary Soundtrack and Sonic Riders 20th Anniversary Soundtrack and so on until we got the Sonic Colors 20th Anniversary Soundtrack.
I don't think this will be released by Sega or Wavemaster, I think it will be released by DCT themselves, after all, they made the announcement. It wouldn't be the first time this happens with a Sonic soundtrack, Yuzo Koshiro released the Sonic GG soundtrack himself.
Why do they still think there will be problems with Sonic 3? Although the story of MJ being behind the music of Sonic 3 seems to come from a very reliable source, it can't be taken too seriously, MJ never said that himself and now we won't ever know for sure if that was true. Legally there are no problems for Sega, MJ never copyrighted the music nor his name appears in the game credits.

Last edited by emuxer; Jun 28, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuxer View Post
I don't think this will be released by Sega or Wavemaster, I think it will be released by DCT themselves, after all, they made the announcement. It wouldn't be the first time this happens with a Sonic soundtrack, Yuzo Koshiro released the Sonic GG soundtrack himself.
I fear that too - which would mean that Sega most likely doesn't have any interest releasing their other classics. But I guess we will know for sure soon enough. It shouldn't take too long for Wavemaster to announce what they will release after Sonic Heroes...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:46 PM
Trusted Editor

I think the MJ story was pretty much confirmed. Do a search here, there has to be a thread about it.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:44 PM

The whole Sonic 3 issue is a clusterfuck that I still haven't quite wrapped my mind around. I've heard sources that say Jackson was removed from the project and the music he created was never used. Other sources say he quit and forfeited the copyrights claiming to be disgusted with the sound quality, or something. Either way, there shouldn't be any copyright issues, but who knows if the "official" story is really official anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:33 PM

Hm, any more news on this, nearly two months later?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:26 PM

I am also wondering if there have been any updates on this soundtrack. Can't wait to hear Nakamura's demos, as well as the "bonus material" (my guess is that it'll be arranged versions of the some of the songs and/or music he wrote for the game but didn't make it in.)
Old Sep 4, 2011, 08:00 AM

It's oooooon like donkey kooooong biyatch.
Already pre-ordered mine =D
Old Sep 4, 2011, 04:19 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Preordered mine too. Sonic 1 & 2 is what got me into game music in the first place.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 05:44 PM

3 CDs? Yeesh. A game rip of both runs around 75 minutes (though I forget if there's loops in it). Of course there's the 'demons' stuff but still, I have to wonder if this'll be another that could actually fir on 2 discs but they spead it out to charge more...
Old Sep 4, 2011, 05:55 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Either way, I like it better this way than having 80 tracks on one disc (Ocarina of Time).
Old Sep 4, 2011, 07:04 PM

Where did you guys preorder this?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 07:09 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEATWART View Post
Where did you guys preorder this?
On CD Japan. Just put it in the cart and pay, they'll just treat it as a pre-order ofcourse.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
On CD Japan. Just put it in the cart and pay, they'll just treat it as a pre-order ofcourse.
Ah thanks -- pre ordered 4 copies myself. I have a good feeling sealed copies of this will eventually become very caluable.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:43 AM

$53 USD to get this to me. I am nervous not to pre-order this with what will probably be a very limited supply and everyone on vgmdb so hyped up over this.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 03:20 PM

Better get it now - as soon as it sells out, it'll be up on eBay for $200+ a piece...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:51 PM

It's only $38.28 for me on CD Japan. Considering it's 3 discs, and I've been celebrating Sonic's 20th anniversary for months ever since June, I'll think I'll buy this, maybe a 2nd copy.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I think the Chaos Emerald and Special Stage 1UP jingles were left out. And ofcourse, songs that were re-used for Sonic 2 were only included once. Drowning was also left out (who doesn't hate that track anyway?).

...... And if I'm not wrong, the last boss theme from Sonic 2 was actually... left out. This would be the most major fuck-up in history. I hope they did a screw-up on making the tracklist or something.
EDIT: I guess "Death Egg Zone (Part 2)" could be it

Last edited by Nisto; Sep 30, 2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 02:24 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
I think the Chaos Emerald and Special Stage 1UP jingles were left out. And ofcourse, songs that were re-used for Sonic 2 were only included once. Drowning was also left out (who doesn't hate that track anyway?).
That's because those are by Yukifumi Makino, not Masa. The Staff Roll medley isn't here either because Hiroshi Kubota arranged it.