VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 21, 2018, 08:18 AM

Default FF6 Style Song

I just recently completed a song in the style of Final Fantasy 6 and would like some of your critisme. I would like to get your opinion on the mix and the compositional content (the music itself).

You can listen to it here: https://projectkafka.bandcamp.com/releases

Thanks for your time
Old Mar 24, 2018, 07:08 AM

Not a bad start. It's definitely too short though, so it's hard to say much about it in the ways of criticisms/improvement.

The only problem with it I have so far is the pitch - some of those samples do remind me of FF6, but you have them set too low to sound much like anything genuinely out of FF6.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 09:00 AM

Thanks KTB for taking the time to give tips on the song. You say samples are too low to be representative of ff6 style music. Are all of them too low? And those that are too low are they too low something like an octave difference or just a couple of semi tones?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 02:02 PM

I'm mainly referring to the organ and those fast notes that come in about 8 seconds in. They don't sound outright bad on their own or anything, but there isn't anything in FF6 (or anything by Uematsu, really) that sounds like that.

On second thought actually, I take back what I said about it being too short. I heard the first 20 or so seconds of it and thought that it was just that ten second loop of it repeated. I think the real problem there is that at the ten second mark (and at every other point in the opening of the song when that intro repeats) cuts off and changes far too abruptly - that part in particular doesn't sound very good and could very much use a smoother transition.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 04:56 AM

Again thanks KTB for taking the time to listening and commenting on my song. I did feel what you said on the harshness of the organ cutting and will definitely be looking at that in the future for other songs I compose.

Tags
ff6